Weird Dreams Before Traveling

Jun 26th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Weird Dreams Before Traveling

I've heard this happening to people before they get ready to travel. And it's occasionally happened to me where I would have dreams before going on a trip -- generally chalked up to anxiety.

This morning my DH told me that last night I calmly explained to him how to work the TV remote (while asleep). I then proceeded to tell him that all of my work (school)papers were properly filed and where they were located. He said I was soooo nice (which was his kind way of confirming that I was truly asleep, lol).

I'm glad my dream was about my "work papers" since I just finished the school year, rather than my home papework -- that would lead me to thinking "dark" thoughts.

Has anyone else had some strange dreams before going on a trip?
Jun 26th, 2006, 10:01 AM

Yes, I have. I always dream about leaving my passport at home, OR leaving my driver's license at home OR not making the flight. I chalk it up to anxiety also ;-).
Jun 26th, 2006, 10:06 AM

Always the passport thingee.....I'm on the way to the airport and realize I dont have it...Once in a while dreaming that those we were to meet up with didnt show up..
Jun 26th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Suerich68

I always dream that I forgot to pack shoes!

Jun 26th, 2006, 10:10 AM
GoTravel

Sometimes I dream that I'm smoking.

It freaks me out because I've quit for so long.

Jun 26th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone else "talk" when they are dreaming?

I don't remember this "dream", but I believe my husband when he tells me that I said the things I've said. I've done it before. I have also had two episodes of sleep walking. The last time I was standing in my living room pointing to the floor, calmly saying "fire!"

I should be more concerned with things like shoes and clothes and stuff, lol.
Jun 26th, 2006, 10:23 AM

GT, I can really relate to your smoking dreams. I quit 26 years ago but still occaisionally have dreams where I realize that I'm smoking again. In the dream, the smoking always sort of "sneaks up on me". I've been smoking a cigarette now and again and then, over time, realize that I'm smoking again on a regular basis.

I think for me, these dreams are a signal that I feel I'm "slipping" in some other aspect of my life.
Jun 26th, 2006, 10:30 AM

And I guess I should be due for another of those dreams. As you can see, STW, it's the start of another week and here I sit on Fodor's!
Jun 26th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

LOL Caph, sending you an email.

The smoking dream I have heard about from family who have also quit.
Jun 26th, 2006, 12:29 PM

Me too on the smoking dream...I find it absolutely BIZZARE!
Jun 26th, 2006, 01:47 PM

My more intense dreams come after a trip... then I dream I am still in Europe! It's incredibly realistic.
Jun 26th, 2006, 02:25 PM

Unfortunately, when I travel without my kids, before or during the trip, I have dreams that something happens to one of them. It totally freaks me out.

My husband and I were in Colorado a few years ago and I had a dream my youngest son lost his legs. Then the next day I saw a Nike commericial with a parapelegic(sp?) athlete with artificial legs running a race. I was so freaked out, as if the dream and commercial were timed that way for a reason...

My husband doesn't believe at all in premonitions, etc. so he just thought I was nuts.
Jun 26th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Kal

I seldom dream and when I do it's usually about PBS programs.
Original Poster

I sure as heck don't know what to make of the fact that I was giving instructions on how to use the TV remote. My husband did say that I sounded as if I was speaking to a child -- so maybe I still have school on the brain. Or...?

Original Poster

LOL, Kal!
Jun 26th, 2006, 02:36 PM

Ditto with the smoking dreams... 15 years of heavy smoking. I quit cold turkey without any trouble 12 years ago!
I do have some scary dreams.
I usually take the month of December off... NO travel!
About mid December I sat up in bed, middle of the night, looked at my husband and said "I am going to die January 27."
OMG... that's some crazy S***!
I had a flight scheduled from Denver on Jan 27th.
I am not usually paranoid about stuff like that but this one spooked me.
I dreaded that flight!
Well, about 2 weeks prior to the flight I mentioned it and my husband said "You did not say Jan 27th, you said Feb 27th!"
OMG... which was it? I knew it was January but he was sure. Feb 27th I had a flight TO NYC!
Anyway, I was just a little freaked out by this...
For years I had a plane crash dream.
It never freaked me out because in the dream I was not in the plane, I witnessed it.
Jun 26th, 2006, 02:38 PM

"so maybe I still have school on the brain."

I think that's a good guess. But I don't know about the remote. Were you watching tv just before you went to sleep? Or do you have issues about who controls the remote? Both my husband and son constantly change the channel during commercials. It drives my daughter and me nuts!
Jun 26th, 2006, 02:42 PM

Before we go on a trip that involves hiking I ALWAYS have a number of dreams in which I step right off a cliff. I do have a bit of anxiety about heights-maybe more than I realize...

~Liz
Jun 26th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Kal

stw,
Don't encourage me....
Jun 26th, 2006, 02:52 PM

January 2005: Just before my Rio trip, I dreamt I was floating down the Amazon with my friend Gloria and her daughter. All kinds of interesting creatures along the way, including a large pink fish with a man's face. (I later googled this and found out that the Amazon has a pink dolphin called a Boto, which they say has a man's face.) At the end of the river trip, we came to a large, flat, grass-and-water clearing surrounded by a mountain that went straight up. Then exotic looking people came out, looked like they were walking on water, and were singing some mysterious song. Later in the dream I found out that the whole show was man-made.

I figured the dream was just about my anxiety over going to Rio for the first time.

Well, fast forward to December 2005: The Wynn Hotel in Las Vegas has opened and Gloria and her daughter decide to join me in exploring the strip. We go to look at this "water feature" that the signs point to. As we are coming down the escalator, I look out at the Wynn's "water feature," and there is the flat clearing surrounded by a mountain, with statues of people coming out of the water! I ask the hostess what it is, and she says, "Oh! This is called the 'Lake of Dreams.' We have a free show here every night." And here I am with Gloria and her daughter. Whoooooo! Psychic moment in the subconscious???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO