Reload this Page >

Weekend trips from New York

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2001, 07:37 PM
jackie

We need some ideas for weekend trips during the summer (we need to get out of the city!)

We have been to:
Jersey shore
Mystic
Newport
Poconos
D.C.
Block Island

thanks!

Old May 14th, 2001, 07:38 PM
jackie

Oops - I forgot to mention - we live in New York City!

thanks

Old May 15th, 2001, 12:27 AM
Philip

You could take a trip into the Amish Dutch Country of Pennsylvania. Towns like Lancaster, Bird-in-Hand and Intercourse PA offer some "de-stress" scenery.

Upstate New York has some wonderful towns and just a two hour drive from the city. Mohonk Mountain in New Paltz is nice. The Hudson Valley with towns like Woodstock & Saugerties.

Lake George used to be a popular get-away place. Haven't been there in years so I don't know if it's still nice.

Old May 15th, 2001, 02:51 AM
Howard

The Berkshires in Western Massachusetts. A great summer destination.

Old May 15th, 2001, 04:53 AM
bb

Go to Boston on the Amtrak. Great stuff in a great town. Like being in NYC (it's got theater, tourist areas, ocean [you can even go to Cape Cod], museums, etc.) but you can walk it easily. Think history. As a former NYer, I recommend it highly.

Old May 15th, 2001, 05:26 AM
Audrey

The Monadnock Region of southern New Hampshire. It's an easy trip (4-1/2 hrs.)via Rt. 91 north; hiking (Mt. Monadnock), a lake in just about every town (with a mandated public landing), music (Monadnock Music, Apple Hill Players); equity theatre (Peterborough Players); lots of shopping and galleries and good restaurants. The Greater Peterborough Chamber of Commerce can give you more specific information.

Old May 15th, 2001, 06:35 AM
steve

1 Rheinbeck area. Make reservations well in advance at Culinary Institute for dinner. See the sunset at Vanderbilt Mansion before dinner. You can stay at Belvedere B&B south of Rheinbeck (try to get one of two second floor rooms facing Hudson River), they also have good dinners and breakfast is good. There is also a B&B in Red Hook, just north of the main intersection, don't remember name. Go for a hike at Poets Walk on River Road after visiting Montgomery Place or Bard College. Have a meal in Rheinbeck.
Check out Innisfree Gardens in Milbrook on the way up or down. If it's on the way, have dinner at Old Drovers Inn (1700's inn with good food) in Dover Plains.

Other alternatives would be Cape May, NJ, New Hope, Pa, Berkshires, or Northeast Connecticut or along the Connecticut River.

Old May 15th, 2001, 07:11 AM
Ann

The Berkshires area is great for a weekend trip. Lots of little B&Bs around, and that not far from NYC.

Old May 15th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Paul

Have you been to Cape May NJ? - very popular, lots of fun, not too far.
Another good beach trip might be Rehoboth Beach, DE.
Going the other way, the Berkshires in MA makes a very nice weekend trip.

Old May 16th, 2001, 03:02 AM
Maira

I live in Upstate NY, near Albany-Saratoga Region and I absolutely loved this region. Get on I-87 North, take exit 13 (3 hours ride; nice & relaxing) and you'll be in beautiful Saratoga Springs, close to the breathtaking Adirondack Mountains. Plenty to do and see, Saratoga Springs is a charming town, with tons of history, outstanding antiques shops all around (Schuylerville, etc). Visit the Revolutionary War Battlefield, walk the Wilkenson Trail (4-mile nature/historical walk), historical mansions, or simply inmerse yourself in the beauty and relaxation of Saratoga Lake. We just visited the Village of North Creek in the Adirondack Mountains. Now, this is the place if you are serious about getting away from the city and on to the outdoors. Great whitewater rafting, hiking, river swimiming, kayaking, the newly open Upper Hudson Scenic Railroad Ride. All levels, just outstanding, unforgettable weekend.