Weekend trip with Mom

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 09:53 AM
chris

Weekend trip with Mom

Hi! I want to take my mom for a weekend away from NYC - she's a little stressed. I'm looking for somewhere close to NYC - either driving less than 4hrs or take a train to. I was thinking of a spa resort or somewhere with cute little shops we can walk & browse around. Thanks!

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Dan

The Canyon Resort Spa in Lenox, Massachusetts is nice. Pretty area. But $$$$.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Merilee

Hi Chris...my suggestion is Canyon Ranch Resort in the Berskshires (Lenox, Massachussetts)...don't let the word ranch fool you...it's nothing like that...I've only been to the one in Tucson, Arizona, but I'm sure this one is run just as well...there's also a place called Norwich Inn and Spa that a relative of mine visited with several friends for a girls weekend.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 11:45 AM
sandy

Consider Cape Cod or Newport RI as well.

I would recommend THe Chatham Bars Inn in Chatham MA for Cape Cod. Beautiful resort and Chatham is wonder little New England town. It will be beautifully decorated for the holidays I am sure. The shops are lovely. I believe there is a Christamas Stroll through the town every year, but not sure which weekend it is.

Newport RI is also very walkable. There are wonderful places to stay either along the Cliff Walk on the ocean or right in "downtown".

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 11:49 AM
michelle

Philadelphia is 2 hours away and you can stay right in the middle of town,walk to the Liberty Bell, the little parks nearby,good museums,great restaurants,pretty city..great hotels also.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 11:51 AM
cdf

I like going upstate NY to Hudson-it is right past Rhinebeck and is nothing but antique shops and good food places.You could get a room in Rhinebeck at the Beekman Arms,(oldest inn in America) and then go from there,wandering the little towns,it is about 2hrs plus any wandering.Great restaurants up there, one French place in Rhinebeck is good,Hudson has an historic hotel also, will look it up if you want, we stayed there last summer..while checking out the Berkshires.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Elizabeth

Somebody just told me that i Hudson this weekend only, on Saturday, there is a special thing where the street is closed to cars and all the shops have live music and refreshments in them. Beginning of Christmas time.
Would Mom like that?

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 12:57 PM
cdf

She and you would probably love it, it is charming, the street slopes down towards the Hudson River, the buildings are all very old and mostly fixed up and charming.I am sure with all the decorators and designers working and living there now, it will be done up really well...I am talking myself into going too! C