Weekend trip to San Simeon and Hearst Castle

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 03:43 PM
Rob

Weekend trip to San Simeon and Hearst Castle

I'm driving down from San Jose on Saturday morning with my girlfriend to San Simeon. We're planning on seeing Hearst Castle, but where else should we go? We enjoy hiking and a romantic dinner Saturday night would be great. I'd really appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 04:05 PM
kam

Assuming you are driving down through Big Sur on Hwy 1, make tracks to Carmel in the morning, and have lunch there. Then take a few hours at the Pt. Lobos State Park just south of Carmel and then head on down to Cambria through Big Sur. You can have dinner at Robin's in Cambria or the Sow's Ear. Robin's is probably more romantic, but pricier. Do try to book a hotel on Moonstone Beach and take a walk along the beach at night. There are elephant seals on the beach just south of Ragged Point and north of Cambria--look for the "wildlife turnout" on the beach side of the road. Have a great time.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 04:15 PM
Susan

We were just in that area Sept 22-24th.
If at all possible, try to do the night tour at Hearst Castle, it is very romantic there, especially if you are lucky to have an incredible sunset on your busride up to the castle. We stayed at the Blue Dolphin Inn in Cambria, it's on Moonstone Beach, very nice & not too expensive. We did have lunch at Robin's, very charming & delicious restaurant. We enjoyed driving up the Big Sur coast & stopped at several places, the one hike we enjoyed was at Limkiln State Park, it's a small trail that leads you thru redwood forest to a waterfall..very nice & just a bit challenging figuring out how to cross the stream at various places. You must stop and see the waterfall at McWay Cove!
Hi Kam...thanks for all your help w/ our SF, Yosemite & Big Sur trip. We loved it all! When I have time, I will write a trip report & hope it will benefit other travelers. How was your trip to England?

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 08:49 AM
lisa

I would highly recommend Robin's in Cambria for a romantic dinner -- great food and service, nice atmosphere.

Pt. Lobos State Park has gorgeous hiking trails, rugged scenery, lots of wildlife.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Monique

The Madonna inn in San Lou9is Obispo. While your at it see if you can get reservations. I LOVE hearst Castle and the Madonna Inn is a close second. I also love Cambria.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 11:48 AM
kam

Hi Susan. Glad your California trip was a success. We returned from England two days before the terrorist strike and I really haven't given the trip a lot of thought since. It was great except for some "foot and mouth" concerns, but the world since has seemed unreal. Hopefully we'll all get back together soon. Rob, have a great time on the Central Coast. Suggest to save time you take 101 to 156 west and then hwy 1 at Castroville. It takes too long to drive from San Jose on hwy 1 alone and the prettiest part is from Carmel south. Plan about 3-4 hours with turnoffs to see Big Sur properly. You can also stop for lunch at Nepenthe--beautiful views, OK food or wait and have lunch at the cafe at Ragged Point at the southernmost end of the Big Sur drive. It has good food and wonderful views back up to the north. Closeby are the elephant seals. Be aware that you need a reservation at Hearst Castle. It's not our fave place, but many folks love it.