Weekend trip out of El Paso

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weekend trip out of El Paso

I just booked a flight into El Paso for the first weekend in April.

Figured on staying in El Paso on Friday night (probably going over to Juarez for supper), then making some type of loop and getting back to El Paso in time for my 4PM flight on Sunday.

I want to visit Carlsbad Caverns, but aside from that, I am open to ideas. Particularly interested in opportunities to take photos.

Route suggestions are appreciated!

Keith
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 02:58 PM

You could head out north from El Paso and stop at White Sands NM. This is a pretty neat spot cause the sand looks like piles of snow. Then from there, drive through Lincoln county, onto Roswell, down to Carlsbad Caverns, and then on the way back to El Paso, you could stop at Guadalupe Mountains.

Carlsbad Caverns will still be the highlight of this trip because the caves are bigger than you can believe, but White Sands is something that is worth the trip. I personally was not impressed with the Guadalupe Mountains, but its very close to the caves and is on the way, so its worth a stop for a hike or two.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 08:01 PM

Keep in mind the drive times. 3 hrs. from El Paso to Carlsbad, 3 hrs. from Carlsbad to White Sands/Riudoso, 3 hrs. from there to El Paso. I like the drive from Carlsbad because it's an interesting slice of America. I don't know what type of photographer you are but visually, it never fails to grab me. If you're a nature photog. then White Sands can be breathtaking.

Sitting Bull Falls is an interesting part of the Guadaloupe MTns but it takes about 20 minutes to get there from the turn-off on the main hwy. The Lost Canyon hike next to SBF is very photogenic. It has a grotto, some fascinating rock formations. IMO.

Ruidoso is an old western town.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both!

I found menion of Sitting Bull Falls while researching, but no photos that made it look very interesting. Is it only beautiful when there has been rare local rain?

Any placve else along the driving route that you recomend stopping briefly?

Keith
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:49 AM

Keith, what are you looking to photograph? If it's nature I again suggest the Lost Canyon hike next to Sitting Bull Falls (I'm never sure if it's Lost Canyon or Last Chance Canyon).

Be sure to bring a cell phone. And whatever you do, DON'T take the longer hike. The short one is a there-and-back hike while the other one is a loop that is quite strenuous and long and not nearly as visually interesting.

About the water in the fall -- yes, it's true that there is the most "fall" when the snow is melting in the mountains. And no, there is never a huge abundance of water -- but I believe this is the only waterfall in New Mexico so it's all you get. I believe that April might be the beginning of the melting but perhaps the Parks Dept (Carlsbad Caverns) can give you more information.

Because the fall is at the bottom of a box canyon you will have light situations to deal with. I suggest you do the Lost Canyon in the AM for a 1/5 hr. hike and then go to Sitting Bull FAlls closer to noon and then stay awhile to get afternoon shadows.

Between the two, it is a terrific geological experience -- especially because you are in the middle of the Chihuahua dessert.

The El Paso gap, which you will drive through btwn. El Paso/Carlsbad is beautiful. There is a hike through Miccitrick Canyon (actually in TX) that is just past the Gap -- there is an old house there which was interesting but I didn't think the natural terrain was particularly interesting, esp. compared to White Sands or Sitting Bull Falls.

White Sands will be easily accessible where as it is not so easy to get to Sitting Bull Falls. Another place to consider is in Mexico. I believe it's called Las Casas Grande, an historic ruin not too far from El Paso. I've not been there but you might want to research it as it is close to El Paso. But you will need to buy Mexico insurance and get in line at the border (sometimes the lines and the wait are long) to go there. And now they advise you to have a passport.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Tandoori_Girl, my photography leans more to scenic, then to wildlife, though I don't pass up the opportunity when it presents itself. Here is a sample of what I like to do: http://www.mightymac.org/neb3.htm

I notice that my visit happens to coincide with an open house at Trinity Site. Looks like that might be something special. Does anyone recomend visiting it.

Keith
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:30 AM

Keith, last October we did this loop El Paso to Alamogordo from where we visited White Sands, then to Carlsbad Caverns and back to El Paso with a short stop for a hike in McKittrick Canyon at the Guadalupe Mountains National Park. However, it took us 6 days. All these places are really wonderful and each deserves a little more than just a few minutes stop. If you leave early on Saturday you can get to White Sands before noon (not the best time for any interesting pictures). We took route 54 from El Paso which is a straight road with almost no cars. Then at Alamogordo you need to look for routes 70 and 82 to White Sands. You may also take route I-25 from El Paso to Las Cruces and connect to route 70 and 82 North. However this road is sometimes closed (including weekends) for 2-3 hours during missile range exercises.

After White Sands we took route 82 fromm Alamagordo through Cloudcroft, Artesia to Carlsbad Caverns. It is a long drive and wouldn't be very interesting if it wasn't for the Cloudcroft area and then birds we watched along this road. The section from Artesia to Carlsbad on route 285 is "smelly" because of oil fields. You need a full day for Carlsbad Caverns. I suggest starting with audio self-guided tour of the Big Room. We also took a ranger led tour of the Kings Palace and Left Hand Tunnel. We loved our hike to McKittrick Canyon. Wishe we had more time there. Our trip on routes 62 and 180 from Carlsbad Cavern was long and part of it monotonous but we stoped to read a sign about El Paso Salt War in 1877

It is only my opinion but I don't think you have enough time to start your loop on Saturday morning and do White Sands, Carlsbad Caverns, Guadalupe Mountains NP and be back to El Paso for your 4 pm flight on Sunday. I think I would concentrate on White Sands, Alamogordo, Cloudcroft, Oliver Lee State park near Alamogordo, Museum of Space in Alamogordo or Carlsbad Caverns, Guadalupe Mountains NP and El Paso.

We stayed only one night in El Paso and didn't have a time to do anything but we concluded that the next time we would stay longer and start with a day trip to Juarez using the Border Jumper trolley.

www.BorderJumper.com
www.visitelpaso.com

The airport in El Paso is very nice and user friendly.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 02:19 PM

bookmarking
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 05:58 AM

We want to go to Carlsbad Caverns in February. wW have four days for the trip. Any recommendations for towns and hotels to saty in?
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

I don't know if this is of any use, but my detailed report and photos from the trip I was planning are at http://www.mightymac.org/06nm01.htm

Keith
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 07:53 AM

You could visit Columbus NM due east of El Paso and visit the site where Pancho Villa lead a raid on US Territoory in March 1916. The old Army post that was once there is now a cactus gardens that is now Pancho Villa State Park

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 08:01 AM

Make that due west of El Paso. sorry
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 08:25 AM

IMHO..don't bother with Juarez, it's nasty no reason to go there except one thing and it's not supper.

Debi
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 11:16 PM

SoCalRick, stay in Carlsbad; there are a number of motels from which you can choose. The caverns are a few miles out of town.

Where are you coming from, and where are you heading once you leave Carlsbad?

Lee Ann
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 07:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Keith - I enjoyed your trip report. You really got to see alot in a short amount of time. Great photos, too. Loved the photos in the caves.