Reload this Page >

Weekend in Boston with our 10 month old baby

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2001, 11:01 AM
MNmom

Please forward any advice for my husband and myself.

We are flying to Boston for Memorial Day weekend with our baby and are looking for family friendly hotels and attractions. What would be fun to do with a baby in tow?

We would like to use the "T" and avoid a car, so we'd like a hotel with a stop nearby. We'll be using a stroller - is that a problem on the "T" or perhaps on a boat for a harbour tour? Forgive my novice as a new mom, but what about car seats in taxi cabs or on buses? In an emergency, if we get stuck away from a "T" stop with a stroller and no car seat are we out of luck? Thank in advance for your advice.

Old May 1st, 2001, 11:37 AM
sktraveler

I can't offer much advise to you except to book at hotel as soon as possible! I booked one in Boston for Memorial Day weekend over a month ago and found that many were already sold out.

Old May 1st, 2001, 01:10 PM
ellie

I would be shocked to see car seats available in either taxi cabs or buses in Boston - sorry.

Old May 1st, 2001, 02:23 PM
Parrot Mom

A great cruise would be the Odessey, a high class touring boat..that tours the harbor and has a jazz brunch...(expensive at supper) and there will be several cruise ships in the harbor that weekend.. the Majesty and the Victory.. You should have no problems getting around..If yo can't get a room, look for a friendly B&B ...there is a well known one on Newbury Street..the Rodeo Drive of Boston..chic with sidewalk cafes, art galleries, boutiques..

Old May 2nd, 2001, 05:18 AM
ralphie

I see Moms on the T with strollers all the time. You might have to fold it up and carry the baby if you ride during rush hour, although I'm not sure if that's an official rule or just what a lot of people do on their own.

I also see lots of babies at the Museum of Fine Arts -- if you find yourself wanting to keep the baby out of the sun on a hot day (or out of the rain!!). It's air-condtioned, has a restaurant, cafe, and cafeteria, and easy to maneuver a stroller (also benches in the galleries if you need to rest your feet). Oh yeah, and it's a GREAT museum, I guess that helps too! Accessible by the T's Green E line.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 11:08 AM
Lexma90

The good thing about travel with a baby that young is that they're very portable. Take an umbrella stroller (one of the best uses of $30 that I've EVER seen), and fold it up if the T is too crowded. Consider a back carrier in addition; sometimes they're easier, and it's nice to be able to trade off.

Just about any attraction would work with a baby along.

The car seats on taxis is something you're going to have to make a decision about. I don't know what the laws of any state are about using a car seat in a cab, but of course cabbies don't have car seats. What we've done on trips, with short cab rides, is we have the car seat (the baby/kid has his/her own seat on the plane), we use it in the cab from the airport to the hotel, then it stays in the hotel room. There's no way to take it along with you when you sightsee, really. We just put the baby in our lap.

Have fun!

Old May 2nd, 2001, 04:48 PM
Jen

While here, take a ride on the swan boats in the Public Garden...lots of parents with babies there, looking at the ducks, etc.

Don't rent a car in Boston...you won't use it. You also won't find car seats in taxis or buses (you wouldn't really take a bus in Boston though - you'd be on the 'T').

Have fun on your visit!

Old May 3rd, 2001, 09:18 AM
apjp

I admire your courage. I went to Boston last fall and left my 12 mo. old at home. LOL! (BTW not meant as an insult at all!). I really don't think you'll need a taxi so I wouldn't worry about the carseat. The T really gets you where you want to go. Definitely do the swan boats. Great place to show your child all the ducks. I'd really consider a backpack carrier as well, since you'll be doing a lot of walking. Have fun! Great City!

Old May 3rd, 2001, 11:09 AM
laney

Hi, you might check out some boston websites.I also suggest B&B's. Try the amerian BB registry. Boston is really a very small town and easy to get around. If you have trouble finding rooms you might consider Charlestown(only BB's). It is just a 1/2 mile from the North End (Paul Revere) and Fanuel Hall but near Bunker Hill and the USS Constitution. It is a great walking city with lots of trolly tours located on Long Wharf (near the Aquarium - a must see). You might also consider getting out of the city to a town which has a train going into the city such as Gloucester or Rockport. You get the best of both worlds. In any case, enjoy.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 11:15 AM
Gina

MNmom,

I am from Boston, and can tell you that you won't find car seats anywhere. But, rest assured that you will never be too far from the T, no matter where you are in the city. Boston is a "walking city" in every sense of the term. For example, I work in Downtown Boston. I can walk to the Public Garden (where the Swan Boats are) in less than 10 minutes, the Financial District in 3, the North End in 10, Faneuil Hall in about 7, and Boston Common in about 3. Everything is close together. I can see the aquarium out my window, the airport, Chinatown is at the other end of the street I am on (Washington St.), etc. There is a T stop every few blocks adn cab drivers everywhere. You will have so much fun! However, the hotel situation could get iffy, so I would recommend making your reservation ASAP--especially for that weekend. Recommendations I would have will depend on your price range. Boston is outrageously expensive, second to just NYC and San Fran/Silicon Valley.

For attractions, the swan boats are fun (be prepared for long lines), the Freedom Trail is a walking tour through the city, the North End is our "Little Italy" which has great restaurants and shoe stores, Faneuil Hall is like an outdoor mall with a history--very fun and tons of people, there are Duck Tours-buses that drive right into the water-but I'm not sure where they are, and to see how the richie-rich live: definitely go to Newbury Street. There you'll see the expensive shops and restaurants, some great outside bars, etc. You can also visit Downtown, which has tons of shops and stores, and the Jeweler's Building--tons of stores all in one place with the best jewelry.

Anyway, I'm rambling! Have a great time and feel free to e-mail me with any specific questions.

Old May 5th, 2001, 06:44 PM
MNmom

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. I like the idea of the Swan Boats and the Museum of Fine Arts. My husband and I also decided to invest in a nice back pack carrier to go along with the stroller - just in case the baby wants a change of pace. We are thinking of doing the Freedom Trail, slowly, over one day with a long stop in the Common and at the Swan Boats. Maybe Fanieul Hall and the Aquarium another, with a harbor cruise if we have the energy. Another day could go to museums and anything else we find interesting. Hopefully, our daughter will enjoy it too. Thanks again.