Reload this Page >

Weekend in Anchorage - Things to Do

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 02:16 AM
Andy

I have a meeting in Anchorage that's allowed me to have three full days free prior (long weekend); any tips on what to see/do given limited time? I should be back, but want to make the most of this trip (with bias toward the outdoors & wildlife). Trip is in two weeks (April).

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 02:23 AM
Fiona

As soon as you get to Anchorage go to Visitors Center. They will be glad to see you there and will help you with every question. This is not busy season of the year but days are getting longer. I would suggest skiing in Alyeska resort in Girdwood.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 04:04 AM
Donna F

You can check out what's happening at www.adn.com (Alaska Daily News) You have time to drive to Seward for an overnight but even a trip as far as Alyeska would be beautiful. The highway runs along the Turnagain Arm and there are several places to stop to enjoy the scenery. Bring your binoculars. You might be able to arrange a dog sled ride and definitely keep your eyes open for the northern lights. You should be able to arrange a sightseeing trip by plane.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:06 PM
Sharon

It's easy to rent a car and see the Kenai Pennisula. It's a 127 mile scenic drive down to Seward which takes about 3 hours depending on how many overlooks you stop at and how many RVs are on the road. In Seward you can take a boat tour to spot some marine life and admire glaciers from a different angle. Get a taste of an Alaskan tradition by going on the Ididaride Dog sledding ride and tour. Visit Exit Glacier which you approach by foot.
If you want to stay close by Anchorage, then you can see Big Game Park, go up Mt Aleska by gondola, go panning for gold and don't miss Portage Glacier Cruise. Ask for Captain Callahan.
Happy exploring! PS - As long as the company is paying, take me as your secretary, tour guide, bell hop...

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:33 AM
rqf

Sharon provides excellent choices. It should be pointed out, however, you can visit Portage Glacier, do the Gondola ride and stop to pan gold on the way to Seward.