Reload this Page >

Weekend getaway from Chicago?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 08:43 AM
Leah Frattalone

I live in Chicago and I'm looking for a nice, reasonably priced place to stay for the weekend-- specific hotels would be great, but I'm new to the midwest, so really what I'm looking for are some location suggestions....is Wisconsin a good idea? This would be for a trip duiring mid-February, for a couple that doesn't necessarily need a super romantic setting-- just something fun and relaxing....thanks!
Leah

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 10:07 AM
Sabrina

Union Pier, Michigan is a place where lots of Chicagoans escape on the weekends. It's better in summer but it's a cool, relaxing place to be with your family.

Galena, Ill. is also a beautiful, peaceful place to escape. I would suggest getting on the Chicago Tribune's website and clicking on the ``travel'' icon. Their travel section has a special feature called ``midwest destinations'' or something like that, that gives great suggestions on weekend getaways. Good luck.

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 11:16 AM
Kim

Door County, Wisconsin is also very nice if touristy. I do not know much about specific B&Bs though because we camp. You could also probably find a cabin to rent. It's a bit of a drive, so it's better for a long weekend. There are nice shops. You could x-country ski or snowshoe. Maybe even rent a snowmobile.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 10:21 AM
Kevin

Both previous posts offer great choices. South Bend, in Indiana is also nice, just 2.5hrs away.
But, let me HIGHLY recommend Door County, in Wisconsin! My family has summered up there for over 40 years. It is only 5.5hrs driving time, and the reward of shear beauty makes it worthwhile. There are many nice towns to stay in, offering eveything from regular hotels thru B&B's. The WagonTrail, in Sister Bay, is a great option. In addition to the many outdoor activities, the art scene is awesome. The Door County fishboil is not to be missed.
If you would like further info, please let me know.

Cheers!

Kevin

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 03:45 PM
dan woodlief

I used to live in Wisconsin. Door County is very nice. You might want to check the weather though. I would think it could be very cold and snowy up there in mid February. Madison is a great place to visit, but I am not sure that you are looking for a city. Plus, it is less than three hours away.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 05:13 PM
Joy

My husband and I have gone to Door County a couple of times, but in the summer. We have stayed at a few B&B's there and I would recommend The Juniper Inn, near Fish Creek (juniperinn.com). It is relaxing and just a couple miles from town on some acreage. The owners are very knowledgable about the area and there are some good restaraunts there too. I do know it is cold in the winter, but there is a lot to do in the summer months if you enjoy the outdoors. Good Luck!

Old Jan 21st, 2000, 03:37 AM
s.fowler

The Inn at Union Pier is wonderful. It's only 1 1/2 hours from Chicago. We've stayed there many times. Their website is: http://www.innatunionpier.com/
Another good place there is Pine Garh Inn, but they tend to book fast because they have lake views. I'm sure if you do a search you'll find their website.

Further north in Saugatuck I would recommend the Wickwood Inn, run by Julie Rosso of Silver Palatte fame. Please email me if you have specific questions.

Welcome to Chicago!