Weekdays ok in New Orleans?

Old Feb 13th, 1998, 11:04 AM
Elvia

Weekdays ok in New Orleans?

I am planning a trip to the "Big Easy" in March. Unfortunately there is a convention going on during the weekend I would like to visit. Is the French Quarter (Bourbon Street) active during the week as well as on the weekends? Also any opinions on staying in the French Quarter vs. staying outside and driving in are appreciated. Thanks.

Old Feb 13th, 1998, 02:47 PM
Raeona

I don't think there is ANY downtime in New Orleans! The French Quarter (away from B. Street, for my money, thank you!) is so delightful; I'd recommend staying somewhere in the Quarter, and then you can walk everywhere you want to. Parking is difficult. If you can afford to go first class, consider Soniat House, a delightful inn at the quiet end of the Quarter. It shows up on many Best of.... lists, and you'll have a stay to remember. It's a great town -- enjoy!!

Old Feb 13th, 1998, 06:36 PM
JOAN DOYLE

I agree with the previous poster--there realy is no down time in New Orleans--and I personally would rather stay IN the Quarter than have to travel to and from it. As she said, parking IS an issue in New Orleans--everywhere but especially in the Quarter. So if you can find a hotel that also offers parking, put your car in the garage and dust off your walking shoes. The Soniat House is indeed lovely place to stay--but a bit pricey. In the same area are Le Richelieu and the Hotel Provincial --each about half the price of Soniat House. I suggest you get a copy of the AAA hotel guide--or a most useful book called ACCESS NEW ORLEANS. The latter is full of information and maps and will pay for itself in helpfulness when you come to New Orleans. It IS a delightful city. Come and enjoy! Joan

Old Feb 27th, 1998, 06:41 AM
Michael

A big ditto to the two previous posts. Once you get to your hotel, park your car and take United Cab. Much easier and safer. Bourbon St is a joke-hang out around Jackson Square. For music go www.neosoft.com and browse around.

Old Mar 1st, 1998, 04:55 PM
trina

I love the city of New Orleans. My favorite place to go when I need to get away. This is the real city that doesn't sleep. Pubs are open 24 hours a day, and you can get "to go" cups from almost any of them. Tuesdays, try "The Cat's Meow"...its a great little kareoke bar, and the host of this bar is just incredible - even if you don't like kareoke, I assure you, you will love this place. Wednesdays and Thursdays, I like "Pat O'Briens" - make sure you try the Hurricane. You may also want to check out the "House of Blues" - lots of times, you will find really great entertainment like The Neville Brothers, Darren Ray Vaughn (Stevie's brother), etc. Jax Brewery is also a great little place, and if you're a night owl, a great place to unwind is the Cafe du Monde. Hope you love the city as much as I. Take Care!!!