week in Alaska

Mar 28th, 2019, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

week in Alaska

We are scheduled to fly in to Anchorage on May 30th 10:30 am.
Seward May 30-2
Talkeetna June 2
Denali June 3 and 4
Anchorage June 5
Fly home 3pm the 6th
Plan to get car and drive to Seward. We originaly were spending 2 nights there but thought we needed 3. Spend 3 nights there and then drive to Denali for 2. Stay at Mckinley creekside cabins (any input as to other possible places) moderately priced. Do we need to spend a night in Talakeetna on the way up to break up the trip? Should we spend time in Anchorage or appreciate other options. We are interested in photography, hiking, whale watching, possibly kayaking.
Was interested in Mantuska Glacier but will the Exit glacier give the same opportunities (hike, beauty)?
Thanks in advance
Mar 28th, 2019, 07:25 AM

I would not spend a night in Talkeetna, which I (personally) regard as rather touristy and overhyped, and be aware that you'll be at the absolute earliest time for the bus to go as far as the Eielson visitor center in the Denali Park interior. (Service starts June 1 most years.) I know it's heresy, and I don't want to rain on your parade, but - just wondering out loud - I might be inclined to pass on Denali and instead use those days on the Kenai Peninsula - maybe down to Homer, for example - which will give you a much higher chance of good weather, scenery and interesting times than Denali might provide. Just saying.

I'd also look at a night in Girdwood and definitely a "26 glacier" cruise out of Whittier. You'll see tidewater glaciers on a Kenai Fjords cruise out of Seward (which is what I assume you're planning) but those cruises are more about marine wildlife than glaciers, and the College Fjord tours out of Whittier are simply stunning.

North of Anchorage (whether or not you include Denali) I'd try to visit Independence Mine and Hatcher Pass (in the mountains behind Palmer) and I'd also stop en route at the very interesting cemetery in the Native village of Eklutna, where colorfully painted "spirit houses" frame the old Russian churches.

Mar 28th, 2019, 09:46 AM

What are the plans for what to do in Seward that you think you need 3 days there? MY DW and I took a trip to Alaska on a very similar time frame in 2016. We saw all that we wanted to see in Anchorage between 10:30AM and about 3PM the day we landed. We then went out to Eagle River (Microtel). We drove past the entrance to Denali and stayed at a nice B&B east of Fairbanks (North Pole address). Our hostess was nice enough to make us breakfast sandwiches to eat on our way back to Denali entrance. Book your bus tour tickets online for the date you want to ride out to Eilson Visitor Center.
There are several things to see in Fairbanks that should interest you more than the third day at Seward.
We left Fairbanks on Sunday after church and drove all the way to Palmer. On Monday we drove back to see the musk ox farm which was interesting.
Our lodging on the Kenai Penn. was at a B&B on the hill above Homer. While we were eating breakfast, a mom moose and yearling walked by within 100' of the house. We had not brought the camera down to breakfast but we will always have the memory.
The place we stayed in Anchorage (cheap) was a dump IMO. We would have stayed back in Eagle River if they had an available room.
In Alaska never pass a gas station with less than a half tank of gas. There are several places where it is more than a hundred miles between stations.
Mar 31st, 2019, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks

We are set on Denali and hope the weather is good. As far as Seward we want to take a boat tour, possibly kayak, do the Exit glacier and any day trips from that area. We originally planned on just 2 nights but with driving we decided to add another day. We are looking at Girdwood for our last night. We were hoping to fly in to Anchoage and out of Fairbanks but holy cow the rates for cars were tripled!!!!