Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Wedding in Statesboro, Ga. Anything to do there? Suggestions for restaurant, brunch, etc.

Search

Wedding in Statesboro, Ga. Anything to do there? Suggestions for restaurant, brunch, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:30 AM
Gail

Will be in Statesboro this weekend- Any suggestions?

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 10:29 AM
debra

Consider driving to Savannah for the day and walking around downtown. Nice time of the year to do this. Easy, quick drive and certainly more interesting than the thriving metropolis of Statesboro. (not to knock any folks from Statesboro...)

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 11:30 AM
al

Statesboro's a college town (home to Georgia Southern University) and that usually means more clubs, stops and restaurants than in a regular small town. A drive to Savannah will take about an hour (ask directions to I-16), plus extra time to figure out where you're going once you get there. Claxton, GA (home of the Claxton Fruitcake Co.) is a few miles south of Statesboro and Vidalia (home of the onions) is around there somewhere too. When last I was there -- during the Nixon administration when the school was called Georgia Southern College -- Statesboro was a fine little town and I suspect it still is.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 11:31 AM
al

Make that word in the middle of the second line SHOPS, not STOPS.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 12:15 PM
Polly

As an alumnus of Georgia Southern when it was still a college and a displaced native of that area of the country, I can tell you that there is nothing of tourist significance in Statesboro. Claxton is another small town and aside from being the home of THE fruitcake, I can think of nothing to do there. Vidalia is the home of THE onion, but there is nothing to draw tourist there either. The Georgia Southern Campus used to be beautiful, but I confess to not having been there for years. Savannah is a very good option. Just take I-16 straight into town and follow the well-marked route to the Visitors Center.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 01:30 PM
Gail

Thanks, ya'll- Looks like its going to be a looooong weekend- tho haven't been to a college bar in a looooong time!

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 03:06 PM
Polly, again!

I just looked at my Rand McNally map. They use dotted lines to mark scenic drives. I have used them as a guide when I have taken driving tours in many parts of the country and as a nature enthusiast have enjoyed the vistas I have seen because of them. While I know of nothing unique (I'm a native, remember) I do note that US 121 just west of Statesboro is marked with dotted lines. Not knowing where YOUR stomping grounds are, I cannot comment as to whether you might find that route interesting or not. BUT...its the only idea I can come up with other than a drive around the college campus.

There is a wonderful decorator store in Statesboro which sells fabrics, antiques and nick-nacks at substantial discounts if that interests you. Ask someone how to get to the Wearhouse.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 08:32 AM
Gail

Thanks for taking the trouble to look that up Polly- Will definately check out the Wearhouse! Live in Va., but husbands family is down there, and his mom & siblings live in Albany (otherwise known as Agony) Ga. Looks like there's a home game there this weekend, but wedding's at 3- Did some searches, looks like not much more there! Thanks again!