Wedding Dinner on North Shore Kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be getting married (just the 2 of us) on the North Shore of Kauai. It will be on a Friday. The Princeville has the famous Seafood Buffet, but I prefer something more intimate than a buffet line. I've looked into the private beach dinners at the Princeville, which can be setup on the beach or the terrace - but haven't heard anyone recommend this option.

Any thoughts out there from those who have been to the Princeville. If we go for the private dinner - will the Friday Buffet crowd be overwhelming - even from a distance?
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 04:24 AM

Aloha Nancy! Having experienced many Friday night seafood buffet dinners at the Princeville Resort, I would say that you should have no problem with your plans to have a private dinner on the beach there, i.e. I don't see the buffet crowd interfering at all. It sounds like a heavenly plan! Best wishes to you and your husbacnd-to-be!
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 04:32 AM

Hey Nancy,

Congrats on your upcoming nuptials. Ate at the seafood buffet on my honeymoon this past February and while I highly recommend it, I agree with you that the private beach dinner would be more apropos for a wedding nite celebration (I actually was supposed to do one myself on Maui on Valentine's Day but it got rained out).

Anyway, with regards to whether the buffet would be intrusive to your private dinner, I really don't think you'll have any problems especially if you do it on the beach. The way The Princeville is layed out, the lobby and restaurant are on the 9th floor (restaurant may technically be on the 8th floor), set well above the beach. I can't imagine that you'd be able to hear or see any of what's going on up at the buffet. Maybe someone who has actually done the private dinner can comment further.

Hope this helps and congrats again.....
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 04:37 AM

Nancy, there is no buffet "crowd", the restaurant doesn't hold a huge amount of people and only some of the seating is outside. There is no buffet "line" either, as there are many beautifully arranged round food table displays with ice sculptures and huge flower arrangements to choose from. If you choose to spend the big bucks for a private beachside dinner, the hotel is at a distance from the beach anyway. The atmosphere at the restaurant is very elegant, no rowdyness going on here, so I don't think you would be able to hear anything from the beach. I'd go for dinner at the restaurant instead of at the beach and have a helicopter ride (or some other luxury) with the money we'd save. I have three photos of the hotel, restaurant and beach on webshots if you want to see for yourself. Go to http://community.webshots.com/user/maggiwun and scroll down to "Hawaii Kauai". You can click on each picture to make it bigger. Many congratulations on your upcoming marriage - what a great place to start it...Kauai!
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 06:13 AM

hi Maggi - great shots of Hawaii! We leave on Sat. for two weeks in Maui and Kauai and your pictures just add to the excitement! Had some questions on the seafood buffet - do you need reservations and how much was it? Was it all seafood? My husband wants to go, but I'm not a huge seafood fan and am wondering if there are other things to eat to make it worth the price? Thanks for any info.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 07:28 AM

Thanks, Tigger! The cost is $46 per person. Reservations are a must! Toll-free phone is (800)826-4400. They are very helpful with any questions you have. In my opinion, if you are not a seafood lover you might try the Sunday brunch instead, many more options. But if you want to do it for your husband, the Friday night seafood buffet does offer beef, and many varieties of vegetables, salads, breads and desserts.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 08:12 AM

To add to what Maggi wrote, you definitely need a reservation. Not sure if you really need to call in advance, though, as we didn't make ours until we got there....I believe it was on the Tuesday before (guess it couldn't hurt to make it now, though)

Also if I add a bit of advice. Assuming you want to enjoy the sunset as well (definitely worth it IMHO), making the reservation is only half the battle as people start lining up early to get the best "sunset viewing" tables. We got there about 5:20 for our 5:30 reservation (sunset was about 6:15 when we were there) and there must have been 25-30 people ahead of us (the couple right ahead of us was on line already for a 6:30 reservation). So while we were outside, we didn't get a prime outdoor table.

Hence, I would recommend getting out there at least a half-and-hour before your reservation.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 05:14 PM

My wife and I will be at Hanalei Bay Resort shortly and can't wait to try the infamous Friday night Seafood Buffet at The Princeville. Should/can we make reservations? Phone #s or email an option?

Thanks!
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 07:43 PM

slimm, I think your questions re:whether or not you should make reservations for the seafood buffet and the phone # for reservations are answered in Maggi and Doug's respective responses above...in any case, have fun and enjoy!