Weather in SF week beginning 21 july

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 07:23 AM
Kavey

Hi All

Yes I do know that I can get worldwide weather on CNN and BBC websites but on at least 2 recent holidays they have steered me sooooo wrong that I have totally packed the wrong thing.

Before we went to Istanbul all the 5 day reports were showing very very very cold weather. Gloves and scarf. I took appropriate clothes and it was in the 90s. I didnt have enough Tshirts and had to laundry even on a 5 night holiday.

So I want to be prepared for SF on 21st.

Also will be spending 3 days in Healdsburg, Sonoma, will it be significantly different weather to SF itself?

Any info on what weather I can expect next week, would be greatly appreciated...

Looking forward to seeing some of you on the 26th (SF Fodorite GTG).

Kavita

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 07:49 AM
janis

If I knew I could make a fortune. You can't guarantee the weather. BUT - SF is usually cool in the summer (very cool - in the 60's/low 70's F) but there are occassional have heat waves when it gets to the high 80's or even 90F. (90F in SF is like 110F inland)

Healdsburg and the wine country will be warmer than SF - sometimes the Napa Valley gets up to the 100's. But this week we are having unseasonally cool temps (In the Sacramento Valley it has only been in the low 80's which is 15 degrees below normal.)

It is supposed to warm up next week - but who knows. Just be prepared for cool weather in SF and warm weather in the wine country.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 09:01 AM
Caitlin

The key in northern California is layering. Be prepared to have several light layers for SF--lightweight short sleeves (or long you can roll or push up), a lightish sweater or long sleeves for cooler times, and a jacket or sweater for nighttime or windy-by-the-water chills. In Sonoma, you'll be sticking with the lightest layer during the day, as it is quite a bit warmer there, but it can cool down at night.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 10:46 AM
Kavey

Thanks!

And here I was getting excited about going to SF in the summer as I thought it would be warmer than last time (November!)

Sheesh, who was i kidding

Thanks, I will put a couple more warm weather tops into the case ...

Are you joining us on the 26th in SF?

Kavey

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Lit-fan

As Mark Twain said: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Franciso."

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 12:51 PM
janis

Actually - SF is warmer on average in October than it is in July. Too long to explain but basically the high pressure inversion caused by the high inland temps causes the marine layer (fog and cold air) to stick to the coast. The whole north coast can be freezing and foggy when it is 105F 90 miles away.

You can tell the summertime tourists by the shorts and blue skin

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 01:23 PM
jenny

Kawey,
My favorite way to answer this type of question is go to wunderground.com and get historical weather data for the date(s) in question. Take a few minutes to get 10 yrs worth of data for that week.

At worst, you will get a high and low, that most likely won't be exceeded. At best, you will see for yourself what the weather has been and can make a leap of faith it will be the same...

Good weather hunting!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 01:35 PM
KT

Well, today is sunny and warm and I ate lunch outside. Monday I wore my fleece jacket. Just a little snapshot of the Bay Area in July.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 02:36 PM
kam

Hi Kavey, As others have said, it's terribly unpredictable. Right now it's right about 70 and supposed to stay that way if you can believe the 6 day forcast on my car radio. It has been terribly hot at times this summer though. A couple days ago was sweatshirt weather! Napa Valley is usually 10-15 degrees warmer than the city. Start everyday with a short sleeved t-shirt. Over that put a long sleeved shirt that can be removed during midday if needs be. Then, bring one fleece or light wool blazer for evening. You won't need anything heavier than that. I would leave umbrellas and raincoats at home. Enjoy your trip and the SF GTG I'll be gone :~(

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 12:08 AM
Kavey

Thanks again for all the advice, I will rethink my clothes choices tonight and add a couple of long sleeve shirts - already have a jumper and a fleece.

Thanks
Kavey

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 09:49 AM
Emily

We drove up to San Francisco from San Diego last Friday to attend a weekend family party. As we came over the Bay Bridge, the sky was blue and cloudless, the weather was warm, and I congratulated myself for not having bothered to bring a jacket. NEEDLESS TO SAY, the rest of the weekend was cool and overcast, we didn't see the sun once, and I really could have used something warmer than a sweater. The moral of the story is "Bring a wide variety of layering clothes."