Weather in San Francisco in August

Jul 15th, 1999, 01:38 PM
miranda

Weather in San Francisco in August

Can someone tell me what the weather is like in San Francisco in August - The Fairmont v The Ritz Carlton - I know the Fairmont is a great deal older but is there THAT much difference between the two?

Jul 15th, 1999, 02:14 PM
cp

Hmm two questions in one.

Weather- we are having an abnormally warm summer, somthing like nice warms days for 4 or 5 days at a time and then one or two foggy ones when the temp doesn't go above 62. After August 15th or so there is usually a shift and the fog stays away even more. In outlying areas temps go into the 90's or even hit 100 (it did earlier this week).

Hotels - The Fairmont has a better view but I suspect the Ritz is more luxe. I say suspect because since I live here I've never needed to book a room.

Jul 15th, 1999, 04:53 PM
John

Hi, Miranda,
I was in SF a few weeks ago and noted that the Fairmont looked like it was having a major bit of reconstruction - scaffolding all over, etc. Locals, is that still the case? Both will be very nice; the choice may boil down to individual room differences.

As for the weather, Sam Clemens (I think) said that the coldest winter he'd ever spent was a summer in San Francisco. If you're in the path of the fog, the temperature can drop like a rock when it gets to where you're at (windy before). When I lived there I found it invigorating. Others just find it cold. But it's a big part of the charm of the city IMO.

Jul 15th, 1999, 04:57 PM
Emily

I'm from San Diego. When I go to San Francisco during the summer, I pack the same clothes that I wear in San Diego during the winter -- long pants, long-sleeved shirts, light jacket, closed walking shoes. In other words, bring something more substantial than just t-shirts, shorts, and sandals. It can get cold, especially at night!

Jul 15th, 1999, 05:02 PM
Paul Wagner

I used to live in the SF area. Weather is great ... can be cool to cold at night, but warm in the day time. Outlying areas (away from the coast) can be hot. The ultimate layering city!

I prefer the Ritz -- newer and more luxurious, but both are great.

Jul 15th, 1999, 05:24 PM
kam

You should also consider the Mark Hopkins with a great view from Nob Hill and the old St. Francis down at Union Square (their remodel is done!) The weather? Plan a lot of layers and then check the local 5 day forcast just before you leave--add or subtract depending on that. It's been a crazy summer so far. It's always cool in the evening/night, however, you can pretty much count on that. It's the days that get crazy and unpredictable.