Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Weather in Florida. January????? Sights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 1997, 03:47 AM
Donna Lord

We will be visiting Florida as part of our trip to the USA. We will be in the area for approximately 2 weeks and will have the use of a car. What will the weather be like at this time.? Are there any areas unsafe for driving? Any must see sights/ towns /tips etc. would be much appreciated.
Thanks. Donna

Old Oct 2nd, 1997, 05:58 AM
Stephanie Kip

The weather in Florida during January is usually terrific, temperatures in the low 70's (Except in the northern part of the state where is is cooler), very little rain, and best of all, NO HUMIDITY! They have experienced periods during January where it can get quite cold (frost, etc), so I would pack jeans/lightweight long pants, shorts, short sleeve shirts, a lightweight jacket, and maybe one or two long sleeve shirts or sweatshirts - even if it is pretty comfortable during the day, it can get chilly at night and during the early morning hours. As for places to visit, I am a big fan of the West coast of Florida. Sarasota is very nice and while there, you can visit the Ringling Museum (gorgeous!), or travel a little further south towards Fort Myer and visit Sanibel/Captiva Islands. The beaches are wonderful, usually not too crowded. On Sanibel, try to eat at the Bubble Room. It is a funky little restaurant with lots of atmoshphere and great desserts (I recommend the red velvet cake). Another option is Key West - a great place, but can be a long drive, depending on where you are planning to stay. In Orlando, DisneyWorld and Universal Studios are a must, but allow yourself a couple of days to see it all.

Old Oct 4th, 1997, 05:38 PM
Andy Bordelon

Hi Donna,
I would agree with Stephanie's assessments. I would add that a first stop in the US might be at the American Automobile Association (AAA). There you will be able to pickup their Tour Book of Florida which provides details of lodging, restaurants, and places to see.
As to places to avoid: I wouldn't send a tourist to some parts of Miami. However, the Keys are nice.

Good luck

Old Oct 6th, 1997, 05:00 PM
Susan

My sister was married at Disney world two years ago in January. Let's just say- be prepared for anything! The day of the wedding was nice, but the best pictures are of the entire wedding party the next day in front of the Magic Kingdom wearing our
heavy winter coats!!! Disney couldn't have stocked
enough sweatshirts that day. Be prepared!!

Old Oct 8th, 1997, 07:27 PM
Linda

Also..dont forget the Florida Keys... Key Largo or Islamorada is great this time of year, tho perhaps someone else here can offer you suggestions as where to stay, since January is DEFINITELY the height of the season. If affordable during weekdays, call CHEECA LODGE in Islamorada and BOOK IT! Will be a FABULOUS resort to enjoy! Also, the Marriot in Key Largo is worthwhile checking out. Snorkling, deep sea fishing, hanging out on the beach, etc should be great. These are both halfway to Key West, which is a day's trip and is surely one of the more interesting places to visit. Hope you enjoy...Life is relaxing and slow in the Keys...what could be bad? Linda

Old Oct 11th, 1997, 01:27 PM
Mahi Mahi crew

I have traveled throuout all of Florida. And spend a
lot of time down there every year. I have got to say the keys are the place to go in the winter.The rest of Florida is cold. The hottest places are the keys.You are actually farther down than Grand Bahama. The water is warmest in Miami down to Key West for swimming, at that time of year. And I have also found the Florida keys are some of the cheapest places to stay in all of th USA. If you stay at the Hilton it will cast an arm and leg. But I stay at regualr little no name hotels, that only cost $35-$45 a night for two.(I know what your thinking, but I used to stay at name brand hotels too) They no name hotels are actually better than the name brand pricey ones.They are cleaner and larger. You can rent a 3bedroom, 2 bath, home for as little as $1,500 a month( DEEP WATER BOAT DOCK INCLUDED). Boat rentals aren't pricey either.
You just hafta fish the keys. Sailfish are best in the winter.Or at least snorkel for lobster. Don't miss Key West old town. You'll love it. Rent a moped and put around.
Oh and stop by Homstead, as you are leaving the keys, it's at the first light, just turn left. And keep going straight.
There is farm country ou there. Stop off at a fruit stand and get a box of mangos, or something to take home. I picked up some fruit I had never before seen in my life just a few months ago. I don't know the names but you have got to try it. Very expensive but worth it.
Florida is a nice place to visit but you couldn't pay me to live there.
After you leave Florida come to West Virginia to do some skiing. It's best in Febuary and March.