Notices

Weather in Florida in winter

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 09:42 AM
Nigel Doran

Weather in Florida in winter

What is the temperature and other weather conditions in west coast Fla. in mid-November to mid-December. How much sunshine can one expect and would the south be that *much* more warm?

I have visited Florida several times before but not at this time.

Looking forward to a hot/warm time away from the U K storms!

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 10:33 AM
J T Kirk

It MAY be hot. More than likely, it'll just be warm (high 70s, low 80s), with plenty of sun. (I was in the Tampa area one Christmas and it was absolutely frigid. But that was a freak occurrence.) Miami and the Keys would be warmer, but probably only by 5 to 10 degrees (on average). I guess it depends on what you're looking to do in Florida while you're there.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 11:36 AM
Patrick

Depends on where you are. Landscape manuals actually list plants as being acceptable north or south of Sarasota. In Naples and Marco (furthest south you can go on West coast) it is often 10 degrees or more warmer in winter than in Tampa. Naples often has the warmest in the nation in January and February, even warmer than Key West (90 miles further south) or Miami, due to the difference in air currents, and surrounding water.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 12:07 PM
MissFla

Unless there is a cold front traveling to the west coast of Florida, count on it being in the mid 70's during the day. Lows: upper 60's or even up to mid 70's too. The humidity raises the temperature. Unfortunately, we never get a friggin' break here. I'd love for it to be in the 40's and at least 50's, but no dice Again, unless we have what we had last year where it was 37 in Orlando. lasted about a day or so. DARN!

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 01:56 PM
Sheri

I've lived in Bradenton (on the west coast between St. Pete and Sarasota)for over 11 years and I think we have only had daytime temps in the 50's once or twice. Usually it's in the mid to upper 70's where I live just a couple of miles from the gulf. November is my absolute favorite time of year in Florida. The humidity is down, the temps are mild, and it is the dry season so the sun shine almost every day. In fact, we're in a drought right now and would love some rain but it hasn't rained here in about a month. Just a plug for Bradenton and Anna Maria Island - if you like a less commercial area and natural looking beaches, this is the place. It is so beautiful and unspoiled compared to the big cities on the coast. In fact, on the island there is even an ordinance that no building can be build more than two stories (although they have to be on stilts, making them three stories). It's so nice not having the highrises and the island is very safe, even at night. Hope you enjoy your visit.

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 09:57 PM
Joy in VA

Forecast EXTREMELY HOT for the next week due to sweating and blood pressure of election officials trying to do vote recount while news media from all over the country & the world are hounding them for updates.... Watch for occasional SNIPPY storms from the collision of Republican and Democratic hot air masses.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 05:44 AM
Leon

Yes, Joy, very true, and very funny. Just imagine we're all having coffee one morning and listening to Bob Edwards on NPR tell us about an election in some latin american country, where there's a pres. wannabee slightly ahead by virtue of a voting scandal in an outlying province, whose governor just happens to be the wannabe's brother. Hmmmm. What might we be thinking. I would like to see people boycott Fla. until Jeb and his cronies find 67 new voter precinct officials. I'm embarrassed to say I own property down there, and just this week paid a whopping property tax bill to Pinellas County. Thank you, Fla. Ciao.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 05:57 AM
Still

And what would we be thinking if there was a third world country where the guy who didn't win the election (at least, the election under the rules-and ballots- both parties agreed to BEFORE the election) turned out his supporters to protest in the streets, because he believed the majority of the people wanted him.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 07:48 AM
OliveOil

LeonKitty! ;> We're hanging our heads, 'fraid the world sees us as buffoons. Truth is though, that PB County ballot was drafted by a Dem and approved by a Republican pre election. If you've seen it on TV, you know it was pretty da*n hard to misinterpret it!! Do you know what a Pandora's Box this opens for future elections? Attys are drooling all over their wallets in anticipation!

We're considering setting sail.....

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 08:03 AM
Jeannie

Just so you know:
Each county elects its own supervisor of elections for that county every foru years. This in NOT a government appointment. In fact, the Supervisor of Elections in most of the counties is Democrat.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 08:35 AM
OliveOil

And if that PB County ballot was difficult, should we now sue to repeal this? This would surely qualify!!! Any atty's want to make some $$$$?

Amendment No 3
"Shall the amendment to the Revised Charter of the City of Tampa of 1975, as amended, providing for amending Section 7.07, Article VII, to authorize the Director of Finance, without the approval of the city council, to reappropriate previously appropriated funds or appropriate unappropriated funds when the amount thereof is less than $25,000, as set out and proposed by city of Tampa Ordinance No. 2000-210, be ratified and approved:"

Joke? No...this and the 9 others like it fortunately were mailed out prior to the election for us to read and digest (just as that PB ballot was)...good thing or I'd still be standing in that voting booth today working on it.

Everyone steer clear til we figure things out down here.

And you're right. This has nothing to do with travel.....ha! beat ya to it.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 08:43 AM
Jeannie

Uh, just spotted the grammar and spelling errors in my previous post. Sorry.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 10:03 AM
Leon

Yes, I have seen all of your arguments in the media for upholding the Bush vote. But, may I make one suggestion, please: just take a few minutes and access CNN.com's election returns, and then click on "Florida". This may seem tedious but it goes pretty fast - took me 15 minutes. I looked at the Buchanan vote total for each of the 67 counties in Fla. In 66 of 67 (excluding Palm beach Co.), the two highest totals for Bushanan on November 7 were in Pinellas Co. (1,010 votes) and Hillsborough Co. (847 votes). Palm Beach Co. cast 3,407 for Buchanan? A county than went 62% for Gore? You know there's a problem, and even Pat Buchanan himself said this morning that the PBC ballot was confusing and that those were Gore's votes. Don't belittle me - instead work to change the system that produces these abberations. Can you see why Nader, whom I do not like at all, attacks both parties? I was quite prepared to accept and support Bush, but would you ask me to do so this way? Ciao.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 10:07 AM
Busy

Actually, Pat Buchanan has a realtive who lives in PBC who very activily campaigns for him in this area. In the last presidential election, I believe he received MORE than 3000 votes in Palm Beach County. Suddenly, not so far-fetched, huh?

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 10:22 AM
Leon

Please indulge me one more short message: my perspective in all this is NOT to overlook or break the rules. But long ago, in the south where I was raised, I learned that rules are often used by those in power to deny basic rights. So far, the DOJ and Janet Reno have stayed out of the Fla. mess, and her position so far is this is a state issue for state resolution. But take a look at the Voting Rights Act of 1965 and succeeding amendments (it's all there for you, as Regis would say, on the internet), and then consider that the Feds HAVE to get into it if basic civil rights issues are in play. They would have no choice. So, please do not think that your arguments address or solve the issues of racial misrepresentation on voting registrations as a bar to voting and other important issues in Fla. on Tuesday. Or local officials deciding not to count over 19,000 ballots due to a double hole. Or denying a new ballot in PBC to voters, even though this option was printed on the ballot itself. Talk about breaking the rules. Don't call the attys., and no, don't set sail just yet, C. Olive oil? Nice choice - continue to like your style. Lets all do the RIGHT thing and make sure our fellow citizens' ballots are included in the result. Ciao for today.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 10:29 AM
OliveOil

Leon...it's me, your friend, OliveOil (check out my email addy). I hope you didn't think I was belittling you--if so, you misinterpreted my remarks. Have you seen the ballot in question? It's clear as a bell how to push that darned little pin!! I agree, some of them didn't get it, but you know this ballot was drawn up by a Democrat...to make it more legible, then was approved by a Republican and a sample mailed to every voter! I don't know if there was fraud elsewhere. This was not.

Daley spoke threatening suits just now and the market plummeted 200 points in seconds...This is a politcal disaster, and could be an financial one as well if this is a protracted process.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 07:10 AM
Leon

OO's ideas ring true, & I now associate myself with them. May this have a happy ending, or at least an ending. And now, off to travel. Ciao, and happy sailing, OO.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 08:07 AM
OliveOil

Amen! And a travelling we'll all go now. We've set sail but with a double reefed main in preparation for the gale force winds headed this way next week. Wish there was a storm anchor but who could have predicted these seas??? Ciao

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 08:38 AM
F'llow Trav'ller

Ms. Oil ... double reef, storm anchor? Fodor's continues to need your ideas, experiences. Hang on.