Reload this Page >

we went to half moon bay when there was a half moon

Old Nov 13th, 2021, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thursday morning

We drove from Monterey to Half moon Bay on Thursday late morning/early afternoon. The weather was perfect and the traffic was light, except around Santa Cruz. We stopped at the "Roadhouse" in Davenport for lunch, which was a pleasant place with lots of outdoor seating. We had tomato soup and a salad. There also is a bakery as a part of the place, and I bought a frosted sugar cookie. At Pescadero, we turned right off rte. 1 to go into the forest and find Sam Mcdonald County Park, which had some nice redwoods and hiking paths. Along rte. 1 we saw pumpkin farms and other agricultural crops of some sort.

We got to half moon Bay and found our B & B, Mill Rose Inn. We were able to check in a bit early and wander around Main Street. (The B & B is 2 short blocks from Main Street.). There were numerous plaques about the history of the town and famous people. My favorite was one recognizing the "International Order of Odd Fellows," which apparently is still going strong. There is also a striking mural taking up the whole wall of a building with a picture of a huge wave and a tiny surfer.

We ended up having an early dinner at the Cantina at San Benito House, a nice Mexican restaurant with an outdoor fire pit, which felt good as it was starting to get chilly. There were other options that seemed good--"Fattoria & Mare" was on main street and had some outdoor seating. "It's Italia" was also on Main Street and had no outdoor seating. We then went back to our very quiet inn, which had a few bottles of wine out as well as some chocolate cookies. We read for a while and enjoyed the very comfy bed.

Friday morning

At our inn, the cook had quit so we got coupons for breakfast at one of 2 places on Main Street. So we had a leisurely breakfast at the Moonside Bakery and Cafe, where we got to experience the very slow vibe of Half Moon Bay Main Street.

We then checked out of the B & B and drove north a few miles. We found a place where there were many (25?) surfers. We explored "Johnson's Pier," a very busy wharf at Pillar Point. We read an interesting display about the various techniques of commercial fishing while a sea lion barked at us. We went to "Hop Dogma," a craft beer bar. My partner had a "Alpha Dank" beer, which smelled like an evergreen tree.

We were thinking of driving north a few miles to Moss Beach Distillery for lunch, but we weren't hungry yet. So we decided to drive south to explore the Ritz Carlton. I found a parking lot for coastal access so we didn't have to valet park. The Ocean terrace at the Ritz is pretty wonderful; The weather was great-sunny but a bit windy. The terrace overlooks the ocean and the 18th hole of the old course (designed by Arnold Palmer), which looked pretty amazing. And I'm sure you could get something to eat and/or drink. We just sat until we got cold and left.

We continued south to Santa Cruz. We got to Santa Cruz at about 3 PM on friday. It was OK until we got onto Rte. 1, which was bumper to bumper for about 45 minutes, going extremely slowly. Don't know if there was an accident or what. At about 4 pm the traffic eased up and got going again. At some point rte. 1 goes from 4 lanes to 2. Then it sporadically got slow again. But along that route going north the traffic was EXTREMELY backed up. I would not recommend driving north to Santa Cruz on late Friday afternoon!.

We got back to Monterey just as it was getting dark. We enjoyed our short adventure to Half Moon Bay!
Old Nov 13th, 2021, 01:50 PM

Thank's for the trip report!!

We were in Half Moon Bay on Thursday also. Beautiful weather. The sandwich shop attached to San Benito house makes great sandwiches. We go there often. We had lunch at Sam's Chowder House.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

thanks stu-we bought some wonderful bread in the sandwich shop, which we are now enjoying
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 06:00 AM

Lovely report. Half Moon Bay is a short drive from us and your trip reminds me to get out there more often.

I heard from someone that the funky Barbara's Fishtrap up by Princeton-by-the-sea has changed a bit and not for the better, but I'm meaning to get. out there and see, but we always seem to head down to Duarte's in Pescadero.