Reload this Page >

We LOVE Hawaii....Trip Report - Part 2B Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:24 PM
Lenore

Our 1st day we went up to some lookout point and whale watched for a while. Then we took an afternoon whale watching tour through the Pacific Whale Foundation. We saw several whales and followed a mother and calf for a good portion of the trip. One of the coolest things was listening to the sound of their blow holes while the engines were turned off. Later we drove up to Lahaina and wondered around there and checked out that huge banyan tree. This town seemed like it was still celebrating spring break, so we were glad we weren't staying there.

Wednesday we did the road to Hana. We saw lots of waterfalls and rocky beaches and sandy beaches and beautiful vistas. It is an all day affair so leave extra early and pack a cooler like everyone advises. We left a little later than we intended and then there was a huge traffic jam so it took forever to get over the the other side of the island. We never even made it all the way to Hana (got to the blue pool). We were so tired when we got back that night, we just ordered a pizza.

Next day my husband golfed in the morning and I slept in, then later went to the pool. Later that day we went for a 65 minute helicopter ride (Blue Hawaiian). This was by far the biggest waste of time and money. It was not thrilling, it was boring. Even if we'd gotten a two for one deal (we didn't, just a AAA discount) I would still say this is a giant rip-off. After that disappointment, we had a fabulous dinner at Mama's Fish House. Another great restaurant.

Our last day we booked an early morning kayak/snorkel tour. It was just us and the guide....totally awesome! We paddled around toward La Perouse Bay and stopped near a reef and snorkeled for about a half hour. Then we paddled some more and stopped again at another section where all the turtles hang out and swam with them. As we were swimming back to our kayak, our guide was telling us to hurry up and get in the boat. He spotted two sharks circling off in the distance, but close enough to be alarmed. We warned some other snorkelers about the sharks then headed back toward our base. By the time we got to where they'd been, they had disappeared. It was fun, scary and very exhilarating! We loved it.

Later that day we went back to that whale watching lookout point and then chilled by our pool and whale watched some more. We had dinner that night at Humuhumu in the Grand Wailea resort next door. It too was very good however the service was lacking.

Unfortunately we had to fly home the next day. We're thinking Big Island and Maui next time. Can't wait to go back, I'm ready now!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:56 PM
Kristin

Welcome back Lenore! Your trip sounds like it was incredible! ) I'm very glad that you liked the Outrigger Wailea- that's where I'll be for 3 nights. Did Kaanapali seem like a long drive? Don't forget to let me know about the flight stuff too, like did they have movies to kill time, and did it help? Sounds like Hawaii has you hooked- I know I'll be wishing I could go back too, and I haven't even gone the first time yet! ) Take care!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:18 PM
Lenore

Hi Kristin!

I hope you guys love the Outrigger as much as we did. We never made it up to Kaanapali or Kapalua. The farthest spot north that we visited was Lahaina. There is so much to do on Maui. We could have easily used another 5-6 days there (and another 3-4 in Oahu). Regarding the flights, let's just say it surely wasn't the best part of the trip! The 1st 5+ hours is okay because you're excited and looking forward to getting there. We watched the movie, played cards, read and worked some puzzles. But the 2nd 5+ hours is long and grueling because you've already done all that stuff and your butt is sore and you just want it to be over! Naturally, coming home isn't any better but at least the flights are slightly shorter. Try not to dwell on the flights because, seriously, they were the only bad part about going to Hawaii. I know you'll have a blast!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:51 AM
TTT

TTT

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:44 AM
May

Welcome back Lenore. I've been anticipating for your report. We too will be going to Oahu and Maui for 8 days in May. Your raving report makes it even harder to wait.

While you were there, did you feel safe? I remember there was a post a while back regarding crimes targeting tourists. That's a bit of a concern for us since we rented cars in both islands.

On top of that, I've also heard that things are very expensive there. What did you think about it? Was it well worth it? Thank you again!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 11:35 AM
Sarah

Hi Lenore welcome back. Did you miss having the space of a condo? Might want to try that on another trip. Which Island will you head back to next time?
Sounds like you were going from the east coast. Might want to also break up your trip with a stop over on the west coast helps you ease into the time zone and get a morning flight into your island. Nice to hear about your great trip I always want to head to Maui for Whale season and you went to Nicks on Oahu YUM!!!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:43 PM
Lenore

Hi May,

Safety was not an issue at all. We never felt threatened or even uneasy. Just be smart and keep an eye on your surroundings when you park.

Hawaii is VERY EXPENSIVE, especially meals. We averaged $120 per day for the two of us an we ran the gamut as far as restaurants are concerned. Our most expensive meal was at Mama's Fish House in Maui. We each got an appetizer, the main course and dessert, plus I had two domestic beers and my husband drank iced tea. Our bill with tip was $163. We had two other pricey dinners with similar breakdowns. Nick's Fishmarket in Oahu was about $150 and that HumuHumu place in the Grand Wailea was in that range as well. All three of these restaurants were quite good, but I think I'd pick Nick's as my favorite followed closely by Mama's. Even breakfast can be a costly ordeal. We went to Denny's one morning thinking we'd get a bargain. Their price for the grand slam was $7.39 when they run it for $2.99 all the time on the mainland. Next time I'm going to try to research the food situation better so we don't have to spend quite so much. I also thought the helicopter ride was a gigantic waste of money. I don't even want to tell you how much we spent because I'm embarrased to admit it! Enjoy your trip.....I wish I were going with you!!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:52 PM
May

Hi Lenore,

I don't remember you mentioning about attending Luaus. Did you get a chance to go to one? And if so, which ones and how was it?

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:59 PM
Lenore

Hi Sarah,

We've never done the condo route, but it seems like a good idea. Surely it would help on the food costs. Problem is we like the pampering resorts offer.
We loved whale watching and wished we'd gotten there a bit earlier while it was still "whale soup". We want to see BI and Kauai plus another trip to Maui next time, but that requires so much time off. Then if you add stops along the way to break up the trip, then you need even more time. Work just really gets in the way of my pursuit of happiness! Ha-ha!!!!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:03 PM
Patty

A good, inexpensive (for Hawaii) place to have breakfast in Waikiki is at the Shore Bird at the Outrigger Reef hotel. Their buffet is around $7 and the dining area is open air, right on the beach.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:29 PM
Lenore

No May, we never did a Luau. We considered going to the one at our Maui hotel, which was $68 per person. After watching the crowd and the activities our first night there, we decided it wasn't worth the price. Remember my husband doesn't drink and I really only like beer (and Blue Hawaiians now!) so we couldn't justify the cost. Plus it looked like it was geared for families.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:39 PM
sarah

sooo funny Lenore, I feel the same way about work just came off a website searching for work abroad. Condos do make it a more realistic and regular expense for myself anyway. I have headed out there for the past three summers.

I like hotels also, especially the kind you can find in the islands. Nonetheless, I think you might find the space/privacy in condos as well as cooking option can make up for the pampering. I also take on 1-4 nights at hotels before or after condo. Although travel companion last summer did not like moving from condo, kind of is relaxing to stay in one place. Here is hoping that I don't get bored two weeks in same condo on the North Shore this year. That is true about the Shore bird but if you have a car with you, you just stop at places outside of Waikiki. Those are tourist prices in Waikiki. One cheapy breakfast the way to Pearl Harbor or North Shore is Bob's Big Boy. I like getting the eggs benedict because you just know they don’t use real clarified butter but some non-fat dry mix LOL.

PS if you want to see more whales head up to Quebec Province in Canada in August, Tadeousac in particular. Three types of whales converge here in August, Blue, Minkey (sp), Belugas . This area has a special status with the UN. I remember sitting out on a rock jetty and a whale did a diver right near the rocks. River is very deep. Know you are not thinking about trips yet but I thought I would let you know about this. Very gorgeous up there and many east coasters totally keep from exploring it

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:30 PM
bettyk

The best place for the helicopter ride is the Big Island. So amazing to fly over the volcano. Not as much dazzling scenery in Maui -- at least not from the air. Last time we were in Maui, my husband and I decided to split an entree and dessert. If we were a little hungrier than usual, we would share an appetizer too. We had plenty to eat and it really did cut down on the cost. Our biggest splurge was at Mama's Fish House for our 25th anniversary. It was fabulous as always.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Lenore

Sarah - Of course I am thinking about trips. I am ALWAYS planning a trip or two. Next is a weekend over to my mom's in Clearwater for Mother's day. Then at the end of May we fly back out west to Vegas for a business/pleasure trip. Will be there for 7-1/2 days. We are thinking about 5-6 days in Hilton Head around Labor Day. We want to drive this time, since we spent so much on the Hawaiian trip (and burned a lot of vacation days!) Any info on Hilton Head will be appreciated.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Jen

Lenore,

Sounds like a great trip. Your kayak/snorkel trip sounded great. Would you recommend the company you used, and if so, what's the name?

I remember that when I was younger and still on a grad student's budget, I used to do the condo thing with friends to save on the meals. It was great because we'd go to the store and pick up a great selection of local fish and produce, some great wine, cook it in the kitchen or on the bbq outside, and have dinner out on the lanai of our condo. Then we'd go into Lahaina, pick a restaurant, and have an appetizer/dessert and a drink, and soak in the views and atmosphere. It was fun and a great money saver!

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Marti

I'm surprised to hear you didn't like the Helicopter ride. I went with a foursome, the other 3 took the helicopter ride (I get motion sick too easily) all 3 of them said it was the high point of the trip, they got oriented to the island, and saw a beauty you could not see from land. It was Blue Hawaii as well. We still watch the video they give you, the 5 people in the helicopter are just jumping out of their seats! Just don't want everyone to discount this experience.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 07:43 AM
sherrie

Lenore: I read your review of the Outrigger. It Sounds nice. My question is this. While I understand you stayed at the Outrigger, did you notice any construction taking place near the Kea Lani?? I'll be there in September and I have red several posts expressing concern about the construction. I was hoping to get a first hand account. Thanks.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Lenore

Sorry Sherrie, I never even noticed your hotel so I can't answer your question. I've heard it's one of the best ones on Maui, so maybe you should post your specific questions about it.

Regarding the Blue Hawaiian helicopter ride, I stand by my original post. The ride was one of the few activities that my husband really wanted to do, so he picked the company and the specific tour. However, even he agreed that it was not exciting and ridiculously overpriced. I read that Big Island is the place to take a helicopter tour, but after our experience I wouldn't shell out the cash again. I would never recommend this to anyone....even at half price!

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 11:33 AM
sherrie

Thanks Lenore. It has been posted. Just waiting for someone who has a first hand account to respond. Several have said they will be traveling there within the next few months, so I'll just have to be patient. Thanks.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Rachel

Hey Lenore,
Thanks for all the great info. Two months to go(!). Interested also in knowing who you did the kayak/snorkel trip with and do they have a web site. Do tell!

Thanks again for sharing and btw, we are staying at the Outrigger Reef on Oahu and I'm so psyched now for breakfast!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -