Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

We had a great time in California. THANKS everyone!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just had the most wonderful vacation!! There have been so many trip reports done, I'll try to give just the highlights. We aren't 'foodies' so not much in the way of recommendations....although a couple of outstanding meals!

We arrived in San Francisco and made our own way to the Club Quarters Hotel on Clay Street. We got the hotel on Priceline and we were very pleased with the hotel and the location.
We were across the road from the Embarcadero Center..
We found a small bagel shop there and loved it. It's called The Posh Bagel at 4 Embarcadero
center, St Level. WE ate breakfast there every day.

Recommendations for SF ( aside from the usual, which we truly enjoyed)..
DO go to see Beach Blanket Babylon. It is so so funny.

Instead of a usual tour of the city, we went on a movie tour.
It went to all the best tourist spots, but would show a movie clip and voila....we'd be there. We saw Mrs. Doubtfire's house.... there were about 150 clips. Excellent tour.

Of course ove of the true highlights was having dinner with dear LoveItaly and Toedtoes at a fabulous Italian restaurant, Mona Lisa.
What a joy to spend the evening with these two wonderful ladies. At the end of the evening it was like leaving family.

After 4 days we picked up our rental car, a Rav4 and headed south along the coast.

We stayed in Carmel and loved it. really loved it..
DO go to the Mission Ranch for dinner... IT's owned by Clint Eastwood and it was the best meal of the whole trip.

On down to Cambria which was a nice surprise. We were wishing we had more time to wander along the boardwalk. Cute town. We stayed at the Castle Inn, right on the water... Budget accommodation. great price... clean ... very nice.

On to Santa Barbara...
Great shopping..
Ate at an Argentina restaurant in a beautiful open courtyard.

heading inland .... to be continued.
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 05:21 PM

Glad you had a great trip. Next time try Opal restaurant across the street from the Argentinean restaurant and next to the historic theater on State Street. I drive 1.5 hours, from L.A. area to eat at Opal. The last time I ate there, the people at the table next to me, had driven two hours. I've also tried the Argentinean restaurant . Happy Travels!
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 03:08 AM

Great report, Kodi. I am glad you had a good time. I will bet Murphy and Kodi are glad to have you home.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 06:43 AM

Good morning Kodi!

Toedtoes and I had such a wonderful evening with you two! And yes, saying goodbye was very difficult.

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving dear one.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 10:13 AM
P_M

Hi kodi, thanks for this report. I'm going to SF in a couple of weeks and I will be staying at Club Quarters. I love bagels so I'll look for the bagel shop.

The movie tour sounds like a blast, I'll definitely do that. I assume you can find that info at the hotel?

I will look into Beach Blanket Babylon.

So much good info to keep me busy in SF.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all of our Canadian pals.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

HI PM.
THe Club Quarters really is in a great location. We walked to so many places.
If you want to find the BPosh BAgel, turn left wehn you walk out of the hotel and cross the road adn walk all the way down through the shopping area of Embarcadero. It's almost at the end, near the open plaza area.

Here is the web site for the movie tour. It was excellent! www.sanfranciscomovietours.com

DO try to see Beach Blanket Babylon. I had never heard of it and had no idea what it was about, but I'm SO glad we went. SO, SO funny.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 10:35 AM

Kodi, I am chuckling as nothing like a dear Canadian to make a native aware of a great hotel in SF, lol.

I was getting so worried P_M wouldn't be able to find a hotel in a good and convenient location. When she said the Club Quarters had an available room I said "grab it!".

P_M, if you like Italian food the restaurant MonaLisa that Kodi mentioned is right by Beach Blanket Babylon. Good food, reasonable prices, warm atmosphere and I have often seen women on their own eating there. Charming Italian waiters from Italy too! Here is their website for your review.

http://www.monalisasf.com

Do make reservations as they can get quite busy especially on the weekends.

Ooops, didn't mean to hijack your thread Kodi, my apologies.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

MOre info!!
We were able to walk back to the hotel after Beach Blanket Babylon on a Fri night. There were lots of people around the area... But I would take a cab if it were any later, just to be safe.
We also walked back up to the Mona Lisa from the hotel to meet Love and Toed. Fabulous food... fabulous company!!

Love you can hijack my threads any time!!
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 12:40 PM
P_M

Thanks again ladies for all the good info.

Hmmm, maybe a Fodorite or two will join me Saturday night at the show?
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 12:50 PM

Thank you Kodi, so I will accept your kind offer, lol.

P_M we will be right by the MonaLisa..I can take you into the MonaLisa after the GTG and get you introduced etc., if you do want to eat there on Saturday.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 04:09 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
What a nice trip! I loved Carmel and Cambria too. Great minds...and all that!
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

ttt for Maggi
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 07:34 AM
P_M

That sounds good LoveItaly, thanks.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 07:53 AM

Thanks Kodi, I enjoyed reading that. And I was especially interested in reading about Beach Blanket Babylon. I recently met someone who performed in that show for years. She showed me her scrapbook and it was fascinating. I hope to get out there again to see that show.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 09:36 AM
P_M

Maggi, are you coming to the GTG?
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 04:02 PM

P_M, I will be in CA that weekend, but unfortunately, in Irvine, six hours away from you all. I checked it on Mapquest! If it were closer I'd be there in a heartbeat. Have a great time and report back, OK?
Maggi
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 07:30 PM

kodi, I enjoyed your two part California report and love the way you GTG with other Fodorites all over the place, not just Toronto. Tedgale just revealed that he will be joining you for the Alabama GTG later this month. Have a great time and please keep us posted with your latest adventures!
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 02:35 PM

I can't believe I missed this trip report. I LOVE SF. I got out there in February so it's time to go again.

Three things you mentioned that I now have in my notes for next time: Beach Blanket Babylon, movie tour and Mona Lisa.

Thanks for the tips and glad you liked my native state.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 05:52 AM

Did you post a trip report on Death Valley? I just thought to check back....
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

I did do a part 2, I think.. I'll try and find it and top it for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -