Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

WDW in-site or off-site. Any advice on Hotels with Kitchens?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 1998, 03:14 PM
Adriana

I am from Brazil and will travel to WDW December 3, for 2 weeks with 3 friends ( we are all around 20 y.o.). My tourism agency is offering dozens of packages and I simply can't decide which I prefer. Staying at All-Star Resort I will enter WDW 1 hour before the others but I have seen the rooms and they are so simple. They don't even have a frigobar and it is so far from any other place... I can also stay at a "Kitchen Suite" and prepare quick breakfast or dinner and it would give us more time to enjoy all the parks and night life. People say that this time of the year is particularly calm, so is it so important to get in one hour earlier?

Old Sep 8th, 1998, 06:16 PM
Owen O'Neill

A full kitchen may not be essential. Many hotels have rooms offering a microwave oven, a small refrigerator and a coffeemaker. Off-site in the immediate area are several large supermarkets (Publix is the one I remember and I think Pathmark may be another). These stores have large sections of prepared meals; packaged, refrigerated and ready to heat in the microwave. Buy some disposable plates and utensils - we did this and found it convenient and economical for many meals. I haven't experienced getting in an hour early but doubt that it's critical. Simply choose the rides you're most interested in that are likely to have long lines (Space Mountain used to be one - perhaps now it's something else)... be at the gate at the regular opening time and go to those rides first. It's unlikely that you'll have to wait more than 10 minutes per ride. At Epcot, I'm told that there is a specific direction and order in which you can negotiate the park that is contrary to the way the crowds typically move during the day. By following this route/schedule, you will end up at points of interest when they are least crowded. Perhaps some other reader knows the details of this arrangement? If no one else has the answer - email me and I'll check with my aunt in FL who is an Epcot regular and told me about this.

Old Nov 5th, 1998, 09:49 AM
sharon

I have been to WDW 3 times. The best way is to stay at a WDW resort. I have stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort which is just 1 level up in price from the All Stars Resort. It has a mini bar in the room. You can also rent a refrigerator for $5.00 daily. There is no better way to see WDW than staying at a resort. It is nice to get into the parks 1 1/2 hours before the crowds. The week after Thanksgiving to the week before Christmas is a slow time, the crowds aren't as big. With staying onsite, you don't have to worry about paying to park. You also can have purchases delivered to your room. You also get priority seating at restaurants. I recommend seeing the Hoop Dee Do show. To get more information, purchase a Birnbaum Guide to WDW or the Unofficial Guide to WDW. I know that you will enjoy WDW, who doesn't?

Old Nov 6th, 1998, 08:38 PM
Deb

Adriana,
Stay on site, we stayed at All Star Sports, it has a fast food restaurant, you only buy what you will eat. We brought cereal, and only bought milk and fruit, then lunch we ate at the park, and snacked for supper. You can get anywhere at the resort on the bus, making connections is easy... You might want to see more that just Disney two weeks is a long time. We were there for a week. Great Place Have fun, and do see Typhoon Lagoon.

Deb

Adriana,
Stay on site, we stayed at All Star Sports, it has a fast food restaurant, you only buy what you will eat. We brought cereal, and only bought milk and fruit, then lunch we ate at the park, and snacked for supper. You can get anywhere at the resort on the bus, making connections is easy... You might want to see more that just Disney two weeks is a long time. We were there for a week. Great Place Have fun, and do see Typhoon Lagoon.

Deb

Adriana,

Deb

Adriana,

Deb

Adriana,

Deb

Adriana,

Old Nov 7th, 1998, 01:25 AM
viv

If you intend only to do Disney, you should stay on site if at all possible. IMO, the 3 hotels that are most convenient transportation-wise are the three on the monorail: Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian. The Grand Floridian is the classiest and very expensive. For kitchen facilities, you may be able to get them at the new Boardwalk which is very nice but not on the monorail. The other on-site hotels have buses or boats instead of monorail (which is faster). Getting in an hour early is great and will allow you to pack a lot into your day IF YOU GET UP EARLY. We did this with our children and it can mean getting up at 5 or 6 am --pretty early for vacation! Somehow I would expect that 20-year olds might be up late enjoying Pleasure Island. So you may want to look into a new program I read about on this board where you may stay on the grounds and ride after the park closes to the public (but only certain days of the month). I think you'll have the best experience if you stay on site because you will be able to go with your friends or split up since you can use the park transportation to get back and forth. That won't be easy if you're off-site. Plus it is easier to enjoy the evening events if you are on-site.

Old Nov 7th, 1998, 03:13 AM
ilisa

I have been to WDW 17 times, and can tell you that staying on site it the best option. One of the benefits is early entry to the park. That is very important. Yes, the beginning of December is very calm by Disney standards (I may be there at the same time!), but it is still very popular and lines will quickly form. Another benefit of staying on site is the WDW transportation system. Unless you are planning on going off site at any time, it eliminates the need for a car. The buses are so convenient and will get you virtually anywhere in the resort area. A third benefit is e-nights. A few nights a month, the Magic Kingdom stays open after hours for about three hours for resort guests, and enables them to ride the most popular rides (including Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain). It costs about $10. You can purchase tickets at your resort, and then trade them in for an armband later in the day. E-nights are only a few nights a month, and not published well in advance, but if you can do it, that's great. Other benefits, also mentioned on this board, are priority seating for dining, the ability to have purchases delivered to your room. Renting a fridge may be an option for you. If you take Tiffany Town Car to your resort when you arrive, they will make a stop at the grocery store (Tiffany costs $65 for up to 5 people) on the way to the resort. At your hotel, you can purchase mugs for a few bucks, and get unlimited refills at the resort (saves a lot of $$). Email me if you need more info. Have a great time! It's my favorite place!