Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Waves. Salvo, Rodanthe and Avon - much differences between these areas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We stayed in Kitty Hawk about 3 years ago and much preferred the area around the Cape Hatteras lighthouse. Can anyone give me information on the towns in this area? We're looking to rent a cottage oceanfront and the cottages appear to be cheaper in Salvo or Waves. Are these areas less desirable than Rodanthe or Avon? Thanks for you help with this.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 02:25 PM

What time of year? I'd consider Ocracoke--nice small, friendly, walking town. You take the Hatteras ferry.

All four towns--Waves, Salvo, Rodanthe & Avon--are more like places you drive through. Nice people, and yes, less expensive but Ocracoke is a good value, too.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 02:45 PM

We have stayed Oceanfront in Avon and loved it. Especially since the grocery store was very close. We would rather eat in for most meals so that made a HUGE difference to us. So, if having easy access to a grocery store (i.e. a very short drive) then Avon is for you. If that doesn't matter, that I think they can be pretty interchangeable.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 05:06 PM

Our group of 14 stayed in bayfront Rodanthe home last year during the 4th of July week.http://www.surforsound.com/properties/306.html I chose this area as it seemed to be a half way point for exploring the whole area. We were suprised to find the home we rented was actually next door to a go kart/water park ..but we were located at the end of a very long driveway and never heard a thing. The home was gorgeous and alot cheaper than oceanfront, but we had a pool and beautiful sunsets everynight. Salvo & Waves were right up the road from us and we went to the oceanfront beaches there. Great sand, very quiet and at night and we did wonderful bonfires. Lots of little local places to eat, shop, get ice cream...We did day trips to all the lighthouses including Ocracoke. It was a marvelous time and we really liked the fact that it was not super busy here. We would definitelly go back to this area just for the atmosphere!
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 07:00 PM

I would second momothree's point about the grocery store. All 4 are relatively close, but the extra few miles to Avon can get tiresome if you're doing it often. Avon would also make a day trip to Ocracoke a little shorter.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great responses - exactly the kind of info I wanted.