Watsonville to Big Sur

Search

Watsonville to Big Sur

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2012, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watsonville to Big Sur

We are flying into SFO Wednesday around noon, picking up our rental car and heading south! We are staying Wednesday night at the Holiday Inn Express in Watsonville (we wanted to head south, though Monterrey was too far to commit to drive after travelling all day).

So Thursday we are planning on driving down Rt.1 along the coast and taking in the sights. I hear that it's a good time to see the migrating monarch butterflies at the Arches beach? What else shouldn't we miss?

Thursday night we can stay anywhere, and then Friday we drive out to Angel's Camp - want to arrive there by 4pm when our timeshare starts.

So what shouldn't we miss?!?!? We are big "nature" people! We are after things unique. And also, are there any restaurants that we shouldn't miss! We are adventurous eaters (but on a tad of a budget). And any fabulous (and cheap) hotels we should consider? Chances are we will be staying somewhere along Rt 1 Thursday night.
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 07:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Don't stay in Watsonville. It is only 30 more minutes to get to Monterey and just a few minutes more to get to Pacific Grove and Carmel. Base yourself there. Do a search here for info: many threads asking for this info.

If you want to not go that far, stay in Santa Cruz area. I think it may be too early for the butterfliies, but there is also a butterfly grove in Pacific Grove.
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Why do you recommend not staying in Watsonville? We will just be there for sleeping Wednesday night.
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 08:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Watsonville is absolutely NOTHING. And Monterey and Carmel are just down the road from there. Book a better place.

Anyone who could make it to Watsonville could easily make it to Monterey.

"We will just be there for sleeping Wednesday night."

No you won't --if you leave SFO by around 1PM you'd be in Watsonville by 2:30 PM and have HOURS to fill doing nothing much.

And oh, BTW you would have driven right through Santa Cruz to get there.

If you are worried about driving at all - Stay In San Francisco that night and rent your car the next morning.

Otherwise stay in Santa Cruz or Monterey/Carmel.

Trust us
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 09:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with the other posters. It's a 20 minute drive from Watsonville to Monterey.

If you're that desparate to get out of SF, and think you'll be tired after your plane ride, drive down to Santa Cruz and park yourself for the night. There's plenty of cheap accommodations there, and plenty to do in that area. Here's a few things I'd suggest in the Santa Cruz area:

1. A walk along the cliffs (West Cliff Drive) to Lighthouse Field State Beach. On the side closest to the amusement park, you'll see surfers surfing the gorgeous glassy Pacific with perfect easy waves. You'll also see people standing on paddle boards there too. On the other side, Natural Bridges state beach, which is just out of the bay, is the hard core surfing and deadly waves. Great place to walk on the beach and check out the sun peeping through the natural rock arch formations at sunset. It's also the location of the Monarch Butterfly reserve. The Surf Museum at the lighthouse is small and interesting.

2. The beach in front of the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (amusement park), and pier (wharf)

3. The amusement park -- California's oldest surviving amusement park on the sea -- built in 1907. And yes, there is a wooden roller coaster ride!

4. Visit UC Santa Cruz. Seriously. It's a 10 minute drive from the beach, and a nature lover's dream. Because it is in the hills, it has a very Yosemite feel -- from pine trees in a forest setting to streams, to a killer view of the Bay. There's meadows where you'll see deer and cows, and they even have their own giant vegetable and fruit garden for sustainable living. Plenty of nice hikes up there.

5. Roaring Camp Railroad. Not just if you like steam trains, but if you like big trees. In particular, the redwoods. Located in Felton, just a few miles from the Santa Cruz boardwalk, it's a wonderful place to hike. The train takes you past some spectacular California mountain scenery. At times, you can take the train all the way to the boardwalk.

For dinner, funky shopping, walk along Pacific Avenue. They have one of my favorite independent book stores there -- just known as the Bookshop Santa Cruz. Where you can get a Keep Santa Cruz Weird coffee mug, or an actual book without having to go online to order one!
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Your description of Santa Cruz is very temping.

So the problem you all have is that there is "nothing to do/see" in Watsonville?
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 10:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Other than the annual air show, it's a big farming community, so if you really enjoy watching the artichokes grow, it might be your bag. Or if you want to just hit the hay at 2 p.m. and not even have dinner, this is the place for you.

So, to answer your question, yes, that is the primary problem we have with Watsonville. The secondary issue, as we see it is, if you wanted to explore, since you have the time to explore, you'll have to drive somewhere else.

Since the population consists of predominently hispanic immigrants (who originally came to work the land -- and did a magnificent job!)especially during harvest time, other than the basic American diner style food, you can probably pick up some decent Mexican food.

Of course, you can pick up decent Mexican food just about anywhere in California!
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 11:10 AM

I lived in Santa Cruz for many years & would NEVER recommend staying in Watsonville. I have been there many, many times & there is nothing to do! Here is what I would do, in detail. My husband's family is Canadian & this is the itinerary we follow when we have out of town guests. Rght now the weather is gorgeous , with vey little coastal fog.. Always carry a jacket & hat with you as it is easy to underestimate how changable our weather is & how easy it is to burn on the foggiest of days
From SFO, cut over to the coast on Hwy 92.

First stop Half Moon Bay for lunch on or near the pier. After lunch, head south. Half Moon Bay is an agricultural area known for pumpkin growing along the bluffs of the ocean.
Stop no 2 - a pumpkin farm outside of town where you can take pictures with hundreds of pumpkins & the ocean in the background. A very California experience. They have a pumpkin festival with pumpkins weighing hundreds of pounds. You might be able to see some of the entries.
Stop no. 3 - Pigeon point lighthouse & youth hostel. This s a 10-15 minute stop that you should not miss. You will want to stop every 5 minutes, the coast is so beautiful so stop here for more photos. The point juts way out into the ocean. It is spectacular!
Stop no. 4. Ano Nuevo State Reserve. This is where you can see California's famous Elephant Seals. Put on your walking shoes, park the car, & head out to the farthest point you can walk. Stop at the visitor center & ask the rangers where the best viewing spot is. On the way , there are ponds with great bird watching. Be sure to bring your binoculars. If you don't have them, rent a pair at the visitor center. On the way back from seeing the E. seals, walk on the trail to the right & head down to the water. It is a beautiful sandy beach & there are often various types of marine wildlife lazing about. Google ano Nuevo for complete details about visiting the park. Easily a 2+ hour stop you will not want to miss.
Stop no. 4 - Davenport Cash Store. Get a coffee or tea & refresh after Ano Nuevo.
Stop 5 - SantaCruz
Continue driving south to Santa Cruz. Lots of places to stay. Lots of seedy motels so don't stay in the ones on Mission Avenue as you drive in on highway 1.
If you do it this way, you won't have time to get to Watsonville.
There are great restaurants in Santa Cruz. I recommend Kelly's bakery for breakfast & to pick up a sandwich for your drive to Monterey. While in Santa Cruz, drive down to lighthouse Point to watch & listen to the dozens of sea lions & seals. You can even rent bikes & ride around downtown, go to Lighthouse Point & then see if there are any butterflies at Natural Bridges StatePark. I would not visit Uc Santa Cruz, even though in my family we are all alum. You don't have time because the next stop is Elkhorn Slough & you don't want to cut your time there short!
Stop 6 -Elkhorn Slough
Continue south on highway 1. Dont even stop for gas in watsonville! It is tempting to stop at some of the small towns, such a s Aptos, Capitola or Soquel, but don't do it. They are all about the same. Save your time for elkhorn slough you will not be sorry!
Continue toward the smokestacks you will see heading south as you look toward the ocean. That is where you are headed. Elkhorn Slough is home to many, many types of wildlife. You can see skates (sting rays), baby sharks (harmless), California sea otters, seals, sea lions & many species of birds. If you are kayakers, rent a double & head out into the slough for a wildlife paradise unequaled. It is very easy kayaking as you don't even need to go under the bridge to see tons of wildlife. There is a rental place right there - Monterey Bay Kayaks. They even have guided tours which you can arrange. Google their name & Elkhorn slough for more information.

I will continue this later. I have to go to work & I have not hit Monterey yet. I know Angel'sCamp area just as well as I have a house in the mountains up there. Will include suggest ions for that , too. How long are you staying in Angel's. Do you like to hike? If so, I will give you trail suggestions.
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 11:46 AM

Yes, given that your time is short, it would be a shame to spend any of your limited time in Watsonville. Definitely chose Santa Cruz or Monterey area. Monterey is only a little farther - maybe half hour.

My family moved to Watsonville when I was 16 and my husband grew up there. My mom, my in-laws, and plenty of other family and friends live there. I am in Watsonville at least once a month. Take it from me (if the others have not convinced you) there is nothing to do in Watsonville It is just a working-class town with a lot of agriculture, a fabulous meat market, and a moderate gang problem. Strawberries are the biggest claim to fame (Castroville is artichokes). Gizdich Ranch (pies, cider, u-pick berries, etc) is really the only reason to stop in Watsonville - or to come to Freedome Meat Locker if you are having a barbecue. I do love Watsonville, but it doesn't have anything to attract tourists.
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 11:46 AM

The rides on the boardwalk in Santa Cruz are only open on weekends now. The boardwalk and beach are still open, though.
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 06:56 PM

After visiting Elkhorn Slough, head to Monterey. We always stay at Asilomar state beach conference center designed by local famous architect, Julia Morgan. rooms ate reasonable, most have views of the ocean & include a buffet breakfast (nothing fancy). You can usually get a reservation at the last minute as they get frequent cancellations.
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 06:44 PM

Watsonville really? You must be kidding right? Wear your bullet proof vest. Easy drive 20 min. To Monterey.
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 06:52 PM

Half Moon Bay is very pretty - as is the drive from there to Santa Cruz, but I would say - get thee to the main event - Carmel/Monterrey.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 06:12 PM

I think we lost below_gravity. Must not have liked us panning Watsonville!
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 02:59 AM

What - it has a lovely view of fields of Artichokes.
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 03:02 AM

Oops. Strawberries.
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 01:00 PM

Way to overstate the issues nancytwo. Bullet proof vest, indeed.
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 10:27 AM

I lived in Santa Cruz and Watsonville, and I would recommend SC over Watsonville in a heartbeat. I just skimmed thru the replies but didn't see the tide pools at Natural Bridges mentioned. Check the local paper or the internet for low tide times.
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 01:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I do think we've lost below_gravity. Reading the OP, it may be that they were traveling back on Wed. Oct 3