water levels in Clayton, GA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Clayton, GA Memorial Day weekend. I have read that early spring is the best time for white water rafting. Will Memorial Day weekend be too late? We are beginners so it doesn't matter if the Chattooga river is slow. We just don't want to get there to find out the water level is too low.

We will have 3 full days in Clayton. The first day we will go rafting. The next day we will go hiking through the Tallulah Gorge. Does anyone have recommendations for the third day? We are a group of 4 couples in our late 20's.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 04:53 PM

You might check the website for the Atlanta Journal Constitution (ajc.com?). When we were in Marietta for Thanksgiving, they listed "how much water is left" on the front page. Don't know that they have fully recovered, but if you're not into Class IV rafting--there may be enough for you. You might also call the REI nearest your destination (not sure the rafting company would be entirely honest).
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks TrvlMaven. I was able to maneuver through that website and find the recreation area which provides a few rafting websites. They provide the water level but I have no idea what it means. I will just call a rafting company and find out.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:17 AM

Pokey:

An idea for your third day (if you don't mind driving about an hour north) is to visit the Nantahala Outdoor Center in Bryson City, NC. I love to go and watch all the other rafters, but they also have really good food there and it's just a nice place to spend the day.

Also in Bryson City: The Deep Creek area of the Smoky Mountain National Park.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 11:09 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I would spend the 3rd day on a rental pontoon on Lake Burton (or Lake Rabun). Nothing better than a sunny day on a mountain lake with crystal clear water. The lake levels have been normal in the last few years (unlike Lakes Lanier and Allatoona you see on the news). Be sure to wave at me - I'll be on the lake that weekend

The river water level was down a LOT last year. Call the outfitters to get their input regarding this year's estimate. If you are beginners, you may want to drive north to do the Nantahala instead of the Chattoga. The water level for the Nantahala and Pigeon rivers have been fine.

Lots of other hikes in the Clayton area. You may want to drive up to Highlands for part of a day. Horseback riding at Sunburst in Batesville is another option.

But, the BEST option (IMO) is to spend the day on the lake.