Reload this Page >

WASINGTON DC - WHAT TO DO ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 1997, 06:59 AM
JEANNE

WE WILL BE IN WASHINGTON DC OCT 11-14. WANT TO KNOW TOP PLACES TO VISIT, TOURS, RESTAURANTS, ETC. WILL WE NEED TO RENT A CAR? WE WILL BE STAYING NEAR DOWNTOWN. WE WILL HAVE OUR THREE CHILDREN WITH US, AGES 9, 6, AND 5 MONTHS. MAY BE ONLY VISIT FOR SEVERAL YEARS. WANT TO DO IT RIGHT !!!

Old Oct 4th, 1997, 07:46 AM
Polly

Check previous postings of 9/8 and 9/17 re: things to do in DC. Their recommendations are as good as they come!

Old Oct 7th, 1997, 05:55 PM
Lara

Dear Jeanne~

Just let me tell you this now. You are going to love it! I would say, to visit the Capitol, White House, Washington Momument, the National Catherial, Lincoln Memorial. All of these places are really great. Definatly go to the Lincoln Mem. at night.
When I went to D.C, I stayed at the Marriot on Pennlsyvania Ave. Hope this helps.
Lara (age 14)

Old Oct 7th, 1997, 10:57 PM
Ronald

For the kids: Ford's theater and the house across the street where Lincoln died, the Washington Zoo, changing of the guard in Arlington Cemetery, Mount Vernon (1/2 hour south by car), free military band concerts (look in Weekender of Washington Post on Fridays), FBI building, National Archives, Museum of American History (esp. collection of locomotives and antique cars on first floor).

Old Oct 8th, 1997, 01:40 PM
Scott S.

You really don't need a car. Driving in DC is tough; it's a crowded, big city. The Metro subway is great, and goes pretty much everywhere you'll want to go. The big attraction is the Smithsonian museums. The Air & Space museum is a favorite with kids. I also liked the American History museum, the National Gallery with it's good collection of Impressionists, and the Natural History museum. The White House tour is a bit disappointing; I hear the best way to go is to get your Congressman to get you tickets through their office. It was too long of a line to get in for me. The Washington Monument has a long line to get to the top, but it is worth it for the view. Arlington Cemetary is a must see. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is quite a moving emotional experience. Bring comfortable shoes; the museums will take up most of your time. Also, the Capitol is a must see, especially if one or the other of the houses is in session. The tram ride to the executive building from the Capitol basement is fun, I saw Bob Dole and Robert Byrd on the tram, just going about their business. Have fun!

Old Oct 8th, 1997, 01:40 PM
Scott S.

You really don't need a car. Driving in DC is tough; it's a crowded, big city. The Metro subway is great, and goes pretty much everywhere you'll want to go. The big attraction are the Smithsonian museums. The Air & Space museum is a favorite with kids. I also liked the American History museum, the National Gallery with it's good collection of Impressionists, and the Natural History museum. The White House tour is a bit disappointing; I hear the best way to go is to get your Congressman to get you tickets through their office. It was too long of a line to get in for me. The Washington Monument has a long line to get to the top, but it is worth it for the view. Arlington Cemetary is a must see. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is quite a moving emotional experience. Bring comfortable shoes; the museums will take up most of your time. Also, the Capitol is a must see, especially if one or the other of the houses is in session. The tram ride to the executive building from the Capitol basement is fun, I saw Bob Dole and Robert Byrd on the tram, just going about their business. Have fun!