Reload this Page >

Washington Monument open??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Janet Emery

Is the Washington Monument open yet? Does anyone know when it will be open...we will be in DC April 21-18.
Thanks!!

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 06:56 PM
Paul Rabe

According to

www.nps.gov/nama/news.htm

it will be closed till "late spring."

By checking that URL, you'll probably be able to get the latest news.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 05:41 AM
Lori

I lived in DC for two years and never bothered going up the monument. When it is open it's got a very long wait. If you're interested in a breathtaking view, stand on the western edge of the capitol building at night. Everything is quiet (very safe too, thanks to Capitol Police), the lights shimmer on the pools and monuments, and you feel like the whole city is yours.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 06:26 AM
Owen O'Neill

I'll have to agree with Lori and I've been up to the top of the minument (after a long wait). the windows available for viewing DC are tiny plexiglass covered opeinings that were smudged and difficult to get a good view from when I was there. Great to see but not worth the wait to get up there.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 06:38 AM
Annie

I went up in the middle of a snowstorm, and I was the only one there, except for the employees! It was spectacular.

However, the wait in April will be very long, as that's prime time in D.C. for school trips. You can get a similar view at the Old Post Office Pavilion. It has a tower, although much shorter than the Washington monument, but it still provides an excellent view of the city.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 06:49 AM
Pris

Strongly second the suggestion to go up the tower in the Old Post Office Pavillion (near Metro Center stop). I think it's actually a better view, esp. of area around White House. The wait at the W. Monument is usually interminable and at the top? Best view of National Airport. Pthhhh. Go to the other one.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 07:08 AM
Cindy

Well, I'll stand up for the Washington Monument. Yes, the windows are dirty, and good views are available elsewhere. But half the thrill is knowing you went to the top. If you might not get back to DC, go ahead and go to the top. That way, you won't feel you're missing anything.

Also, I thought the Washington Monument now has timed tickets where you are given a particular time to show up. Am I incorrect?

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 07:26 AM
ilisa

No, you are correct, Cindy. The Monument does now have timed tickets.