Washington DC Trip Report! Part 1

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 07:11 AM
John

Washington DC Trip Report! Part 1

Hi all:

First I want to thank the Fodor's readers who lent their time to help make my trip more enjoyable!

Random Notes:

dates: April 25th thru 27th
People: 4 adults ( incl. 2 active seniors)

Hotel: Hyatt Regency Capital. $99 Expedia rate. Nice hotel, great rate! Good location

Arrived on Thursday by way of RT 50. Did the thing that everyone said not to do..I drove into town! I guess I hit it lucky, missed Rush Hour,, no traffic quick arrival to Hotel. (time 1:30 PM) easy!.

Checked in and hit the Mall.
Air and Space
American History
Union Station
Enough for the first day after long drive. Mall is a daunting area to cover on foot!, Especially with Seniors! Knew I had to make some adjustments or I would lose the In-Laws!

Day two Friday: Decided to take the car out of its $26/ per day hotel spot! Best decision of the Trip!! Since I had seen most of the Mall spots in my previous trip 7 yrs ago, I became the 'designated touR driver".

Dropped wife off at 8am to secure pinting tix. Drove the In-Laws to:
Jefferson Memorial. PLenty of free parking!
FDR Memorial. Bit harder to park,
around Tidal Basin (no blossoms left!), Dropped In-Laws at 'Botanical Gardens' with promise that I would be back! Ha! .. and went to get the wife,... got the wife! Tix for 1:30 Tour! Went back and found the In-Laws!

Drove to Ford Theater (too crowded!) Many, Many school bus tours!) skipped it for later.
Drove back to Mall and dropped the group off at the "Natural History Museum" while I looked for a Mall spot. (3 hr parking is allowed at the Mall!) Parking was tough! Although it say's 3-hrs, I did not see anyone leaving once the spot was secured at 8 AM! After 1 hour of looking I decided to bring the car back to the hotel and valet park it...after all the $26 includes unlimited 'in-out' service!! I do not think they expect anyone to use it the way I did!

Hyatt is near the Capital, so I jogged back to meet group at designated time in front of History Museum. We walked across mall, had a bit of a picnic lunch on benches ( I picked up some sandwiches and fruit from our hotel cooler that we had brought!) and went to the Print and Eng. Tour (more on that later!!)
After tour drove out to Arlington Cemetary.
After Arlington Visit drove up to Dupont Circle (grabbed some early dinner, 4pm), drove up past Zoo, around and through 'Rock Creek Park', back across to 'National Cathedral'(closes at 4;30 pm, but we toured the grounds), and down thru Georgetown, back over to DC and stopped/Parked at viewed 'Lincoln Memorial', Vietnam Memorial, Korean Memorial. Dropped the 'hostages', ah I mean ', in-laws off at the Hotel, and myself and my bride slow-drove-toured the Monuments at night!

To be continued........with a biased report on the different venues and DC in General!

JOhn

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 03:11 PM
John

DC report part 2

Saturday:

Big breakfast at hotel, packed and out of hotel by 9:30 am

Drove back to 'Fords theater' ..still full of those damn school kids! Ha! well, save this one for next time!
Back to Mall, great parking spot in front of "American History Museum". Went back in for a closer look with less distractions.
Head out and up 'Memorial Hwy to go see Zoo! Beautiful day, Zoo was a ZOO!!! All Parking lots full, decided to head back to "National Cathedral" for an inside look!

Time to head back home to New Jersey, decide to take "Wisconsin Ave" up to 495 to 95 north. Met one of those 'beltway traffic nightmares! Decided to get off and go back thru city and take our nice rt 50 home thru Maryland. Crawled off beltway and went back down 'Georgia Avenue', past Howard University, on to Florida and on to New York Avenue. No Comment!! Dont ask! lets just say that I Got everyone back home, so I guess everything worked out!

Quick Review:

Must See's"
National Cathedral (off beaten tract but a beautiful Cathedral, garden, surrounding area!)
Arlington Cemetary: Just have to go!
Vietnam and Korean Memorials:
Lincoln Memorial: I had the great pleasure to arrive at dusk, sit on the steps and look at the "Washington Monument". A park ranger who's name escapes me, gave a passionate talk about "Lincolns Gettysburg Address" to a small group on the stairs. I will never forget it! Thanks to that Ranger for making it memorial!
Air and Space, American and Natural History Museums.
Night Tour of Monuments...wonderful! Especially the 'Jefferson'..what a view!

Dissapointed with: "Bureau of Printing Tour!! Not worth the time spent on getting tix! I do not see why everyone raves about it! Not much to see!

DC drivers!! WOW! I thought NYC drivers were wrapped too tight!! DC drivers that I saw all in suits, mind you,...had mouths that their Mama's should stick Ivory Soap into!!I guess it gets kinda tough on Capital Hill!!

Finally Kudos to DC...What a beautiful Clean City for Tourists to visit. Flowers, Fountains, sunsets over the Potomac....great city to represent our country!
JOHN

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 09:53 AM
topper

tttt

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:00 AM
r-travels

Thank you for the update. It's alway fun to hear how things went after such a community effort made to plan the trip <g> !

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:31 AM
kal

John, Darn it. Just whe we decided not to go to DC for the 4th of July again this year, you post this! ;-D

The sunset from the steps of the Lincoln is awesome. See a 4th of July over The Mall and the rest will never be the same
DC is often an underrated city when it comes to tourism. Gets a bad rap but we've never had a bad experience in the last 10 or so times we've been back.
Thanks for your report.
Kal

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Sarah

John I had the same experience at Ford's theatre weekend before last. Park Ranger across the street in the hotel where Lincoln died told me that they take in 600 at a time for those tours. So I think the just fill the theatre for each tour.

Did you go into hotel where Lincoln passed. No crowd here as you walk in and out. I told you this on my earlier post hope you saw this, it helps put some of Washington's history into context.

AND JUST WHAT DID YOU EAT ON THOSE EVENINGS? Anything interesting. Glad you had a great trip. Interesting city, yes? I just love how open and green it is. Such a nice break where I visit from, NYC.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 01:02 PM
JOhn

Hi Sarah:

Stupid me! I did not think to stop and see if the group was waiting to go in "en masse" I just took it as another long line to wait on!! Next Time...and thee will be a next time!

Food....just let me say the in-laws are very "old world European", read frugal!, and we did not have any great culinary experiences! I would have had to hear about how much "better we could cook at home, and for these prices"!! Funny thing is the "Frauen" of the group is an extraordinary cook!
Wish I had asked the "Fodors Gang" about a good "German" Resturant..now maybe then they would have been tempted!!
JOHN

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 01:10 PM
xxx3

Ford's Theater is still (well, again) an actual performing theater. The "tour" consists of sitting in the theater seats and hearing the tale of Lincoln's administration and his final evening. I went to this presentation with my son and 598 schoolkids, and it was fine -- the ranger who gave the presentation was just captivating.

The museum in the basement was extremely crowded for 15 minutes after the presentation, but then the kids cleared out. FYI, Ford's will be closed beginning in June for reovations.