Reload this Page >

Washington DC trip in April- hotel suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 05:28 AM
mel

Hoping for some suggestions on washington dc hotels. I will be traveling with my sister, my 6 mo old son and his grandma for long weekend in April 2001. We really want to play tourist and see Smithsonian & Halocaust museums, White House, Capitol, maybe take one of those cheesy trolley tours. We will probably be staying in at night to play cards, and eat take-out while the baby sleeps in the adjoining room. But we do not want a budget hotel. I've found deals on the Willard ($179) and The Crowne Plaza ($85 !), but unsure if this is where we want to stay. Also looked into the Loew's L'Enfant, but at $269 is probably too much (espec. when compared to Willard rate.) What recommendations do you have for location? I've been told Dupont Circle? Also- is white house & capitol open on weekends? (We're trying to get tickets from Congressman.)

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 09:54 AM
Lisa

Mel-I am planning the exact same trip for me and my 2 children (14 & 11) in early April. I will be reading the responses to your post with interest. I even considered staying in VA or MD and taking the transit system into the mall area to sightsee every day. Does any one have a suggestion on that end? If I chose to do that, Where should I fly into? The last time I was in Washington was 25 years ago and I was on a school trip. I would like to spend no more than $200 a night on a room.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 11:26 AM
Becky

I have the same question!

In addition - I would like to be close enough to the hotel from the tourist spots that I could go in mid-day to rest.

Is this possible? OK, you DC experts - HELP!

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Lisa

Just finished checking old threads and kept seeing Marriott at Metro Center being highly recommended. Went to the Marriott web page and couldn't get a room for the days I need it (Apr.7--10)for under $250. does that sound right?

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 11:46 AM
John

Mel, I would jump on the Crowne Plaza for $85. It's a nice property! I've stayed there a couple of times and liked it's central location near a Metro stop.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Jen

Hi Mel! If you found a rate of $179 at the Willard - definitely take it. It is one of the most beautiful, elegant hotels around and it is in a perfect location. Right across the street from the White House, near the Smithsonian (about a 15 minute walk), 10 mins from the Museum of Natural History, etc. You won't regret it! Good luck!

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 12:25 PM
lisa

Mel-where are you finding these great rates? I am a rookie at this! Is there a secret to finding/getting good rates? Please give me some tips.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 01:21 PM
mel

Lisa- well, I first tried to narrow down the hotels then checked out their individual web pages. Depending on how big the chain is they usually had a "promos" section, at which time I tried to see which would apply. Both these rates are I think called "Holiday Options" which are only avail on weekends and offer SECOND ROOM at half price. Then I call hotel directly and try to talk the reservation person into finding out if this is the best rate. The Crown Plaza rate of $85 I think is a mistake by the reservation agent- I think that is actually the price for the second room, but they are honoring it for BOTH! It's supposed to be a nice hotel, but perhaps not in walking distance to sites? And dead at night? This is what I'm trying to get some feedback on in the forums! Good luck.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 04:45 PM
tiki

What would the top sug

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 10:18 AM
ann

Mel,
Most areas of DC are pretty dead at night (except Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan and Georgetown), so I wouldn't base your decision on that. As Jen says, the Willard is gorgeous, but if you can get the $85 rate for the Crowne Plaza, I would jump on that. You can always stroll through the lobby of the Willard (useless but maybe interesting fact - where the term "lobbyist" was coined) - although the bedrooms are lovely, it's the public areas that are the most impressive. The Crowne Plaza is within walking distance of a lot, and extremely close to the metro, so even if there's not much happening there in the evening, it's easy enough to go somewhere else.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 10:25 AM
Scott

A couple years ago, I stayed at the Holiday Inn Eisenhower in Alexandria, VA. There is also the Embassy Suites Hotel in Alexandria. It is only a 10 minute ride via Metro rail to the center of the monuments. I might go there this july fourth. Have fun.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Ann

Although I live in the burbs, I would recommend staying in D.C. if you're playing tourist. And it's longer than 10 minutes to get from the King Street Metro to the "middle" of the tourist spots.

I'd snap up the Crowne Plaza at that rate. And that's also a good rate for the Willard. There also are some Residence Inns scattered around the city, which might better meet your family's needs.

April is a great time to visit D.C., although there will be hordes of school trips, etc. Stay in the city. But if you do get talked into staying in Virginia (much closer to the sites than Maryland), DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, stay in Crystal City.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 02:40 PM
Christina

I agree with those who would pick the Crowne Plaza for $85!, else that is a good rate for the Willard. (I don't like the L'Enfant Plaza anyway for location or style, but that is an insane rate by comparison). Be sure that is for the Crowne Plaza near McPherson Sq metro, there is one near the airport. I would not recommend you stay in the suburbs (it isn't really a 10 min ride to the monuments from the VA suburbs, I live here and ride the metro frequently and it takes more time than that--the "official" metro time from Alexandria Eisenhower station to L'Enfant Plaza is 19 min, for example (which is still a several block walk to the closest museum, much farther to the ones most people want to go to or the monuments), you can spend more time if you transfer lines, waiting, etc. I wouldn't call the area around the Crowne Plaza dead at night, there are plenty of areas a lot deader. I used to work a couple blocks from there on Vermont Ave and there are some good cheap restaurants around there where you can get takeout, etc (chinese noodle place, the Box Lunch, etc), that's also a popular area for more upscale trendy restaurants where people go at night (ie, Georgia Brown's and DC Coast)--my office moved a few years ago, but there used to be a lot of hookers around there later on at night so not sure if that's changed, this would not be too dangerous as there is usually a big police presence (I think K St around 14-15 was their main locale--however, this is a much classier looking neighborhood than say Times Sq in NY). If you're staying in, it doesn't matter anyway and that location is within walking distance of the White House (it's the closest stop), Natl Geog Society, the Archives, even the Mall if you wish (I've walked from there to the Mall many times), and very convenient in daytime. Anyway, that isn't a terrible area for a tourist, I'd probably prefer Dupont Circle or Cleveland Park, but I'd much rather stay there than in the burbs. For DC hotels, I think two good websites are www.dcaccommodations.com and www.washington.org -- that latter is the Wash Convention and Visitors Bureau and they have info on DC Winterfest which is a promotion until end of Feb of low hotel rates.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 05:52 PM
SD

Wonder why a previous poster said "DO NOT stay in Crystal City under any circumstances? Why is that?

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 08:03 AM
ann

Probably because it's an incredibly boring area of nothing but office buildings (unattractive ones at that), that shuts down after 5:00. Visitors might be tempted to stay there by good hotel rates, but they'd find themselves in pretty much of a wasteland.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 11:33 PM
Marci

I just booked a week at the Madison Hotel for $119. a night thru TURBOTRIP.COM.....

I have heard that it is a beautiful hotel that the senators/dignitaries use...terry cloth robes/heated towel bars....and antiques.

Am spending my honeymoon there and got a great air fare on Frontier for $248. round trip from SFO-NatL. airport/D.C.

Hope you have a great time!!!

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 05:44 AM
Cynthia Ries

Hello:
Stay on Dupont Circle. Then you can walk in shops and nice eating choices all around in the evening. The metro stop is a stone's throw away. The Hilton is especially close to the Metro.
good luck!

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 02:24 PM
phyl

I've stayed at the Doubletree near George Washington College. It has a meto close, it's a suite, and it was resonable.

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 09:19 PM
Ann

To the other Ann--that's EXACTLY why I said not to stay in Crystal City. I wasn't going to add another word, but I just thought of something--that's where all of the school trips stay. So if you want to wake up at 4 a.m. to 15-year-olds running down the halls, then any hotel in Crystal City will suit you just fine.

Marci-I don't want to put a damper on your honeymoon (after all, the hotel really isn't all that important), but the Madison has been on the decline in the past few years. I used to do some work for the hotel, but the management and staff were in such disarray, I decided to get rid of them as a client (something I've NEVER done before). Some segment of the staff is nearly ALWAYS on strike (although it has been quiet for the past few months). That said, when everything comes together, the hotel really can sparkle. Don't be discouraged from it's outward appearance. It does look a lot better on the inside. If the management and staff are at a harmonious point, you should have a great honeymoon. But don't put up with bad service for a second, because if they sense you won't complain, they'll do nothing else for you the rest of the week.

Also, D.C. is a great place for a honeymoon. My favorite romantic spot is around the back of the Lincoln Memorial at night. Also, walking along the canal in Georgetown, or simply walking along the mall at night.

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Cindy

Someone mentioned visiting the Holocaust museum with a small child. Please be advised that small children really aren't welcome. The museum "suggests" a minimum age, probably because the place is somber and other guests might be bothered by a small child.

Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -