Reload this Page >

Washington DC Post 9/11. Worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:19 PM
Gretchen

Can anyone give me info on Washington DC as a tourist destination post 9/11? I've heard conflicting rumours that there are tons of barricades, lots of places you can't go, too much security, etc. Should I wait and go to Washington another time, or is it still worth it in July to see most of the major sights?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:38 PM
x

This probably won't be a definitive enough answer for you, but I'm just in receipt of e-mails from a carful of great nieces and g. nephews (just-teen and pre-teen)who've just made their very first trip to DC and found it extraordinary. Yes, they saw sharpshooters on the roof of the WHse, cuz the current resident was partaking of a ballgame on the grounds...but they also did the monuments, etc....and were properly impressed. And, thinking about it....what's the story you will tell your grandchildren or other descendents 50 years from now...even if you do not have access to everything, it will be one helluva memory to transmit, at a sad time in our history, I think. If I were going to avoid DC in July....it would be because of the weather....wear a space-cooled, icy back pack.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:44 AM
gail

We are going in August! (I know, we are crazy, it will be hot, etc. etc. - but it is really the best time for us for a number of reasons). I have heard that White House is still closed to tours, but much else is open. All the Smithsonian Museums are open, you can see the monuments, go to the National Zoo, maybe take side trip to Mt. Vernon

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:08 AM
Suzy

The National Portrait Gallery, which is part of the Smithsonian, is closed for renovations.

August in DC is survivable if you take care of yourself -- spend the hot afternoons in museums and other air-conditioned places, see the monuments at night, use hats, sunscreen, water, etc.

If you go to the zoo, go as early as possible; the grounds open at 6 AM, though the buildings don't open until 10. You will be cooler, and you will see more animals -- they have the sense to sleep during the heat of the day!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:23 AM
xxx

I have been down twice this summer from NYC and this is the first time in years. I think it is one the most assessable cities in the country.

You have to be someone that enjoys learning though. There are so many museums in the Smithsonian and outside of it. Going to the Lincoln memorial and other locations at night is very inspiring. Reminds me of a time when we had a president with truly noble aspirations.

I love D.C and if I do not agree with our foreign policy on these visits I am reminded of who we are as a people. ... tells me America is larger than what the current administration supports or imposes abroad at any given time.

Yes go, it is very open, you can't visit the white house but those tours have only started in recent years. Still much much more to see. Go to the capital but get on line early for the tour.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:27 AM
Suzy

Oh, "xxx," I agree with you so completely -- whenever I visit DC, I don't know which is more inspiring -- when I agree with the current administration or when I don't.

But either way, there's DC, permanently reminding us that we have the most-imitated constitution ever, and a very durable system that works well for most of the people most of the time, which is more than other governments can say!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:31 AM
xxx

not a competition suzy it's about humanity but again you have to be interested in learning

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:35 AM
Suzy

Good grief, I didn't mean it was a competition, just that the durability of our system is evidence that it that works well, and that others have imitated it.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:43 AM
xxx

Did you also mean to say that you did not know when you were more inspired when you did or did not agree with the current admistration? I did not understand that.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:54 AM
Suzy

Yes, that's what I meant, sorry to be confusing. When I agree with the current administration, I'm proud to be a supporter of the system. When I disagree, I'm proud to be part of a system that can survive an administration full of jerks!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:05 AM
xxx

I can never be proud of "the jerks" not when foreign governments out of sink with capitalism have been undermined by them or when innocent people are being killed. Support of Israel is a particular difficult hard for me. Very difficult to see babies being shot, homes being bull dozed and know it only happens because of US support.

I am proud we have a democracy and an economy that can support many of the liberities we enjoy. Want the world to have this also.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:21 AM
annie

Getting back to Gretchen's question....
I was there last Christmas. Though I was amazed at all the barricades and fences, it did not deter me from having a great time. I realized why they were there, know why they are there and appreciate the fact that they are there. The sharpshooters on the White House, well I expect them to be there for a long time to come.
Your bags will be searched going to the various museums and you will pass through a metal detector...normal for the times we live in now.
Gretchen, go and have a great time. Tons of things to do. (don't miss the Holocaust Museum), places to eat and stay.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:31 AM
KC

Hi all - is it REALLY that bad, weather wise - in August???

I'm intending to visit for a week starting the 28th Aug - is it likely to be very hot then too?

I sure hope not!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:38 AM
xxx

It is KC but the thing is if you are on the east coast already you will face that weather at home. You are in and out of airconditioning if you are doing the museum thing. So it has not bothered me I think it was 85-90 on my last trip. Evenings are barable in the heat as far as I can see.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:44 AM
Rachael

I was there last September about 2 weeks after Sept 11 and while there was more security than in the previous year, it didn't stop you from seeing most of the things there are to see. Even before Sept 11, I found DC to be pretty security concsious with x-ray machines, metal detectors and bag searches . . .now the places that didn't previously have such strong security (Smithsonian museums) do, but it's really not an obstacle to enjoying the city.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:50 AM
KC

Actually, I'm sitting in cold, damp miserable Swindon - which is in Wiltshire, England.....

I'm just not used to the sort of heat you're talking about (here in the UK we have to tan for three weeks just to get white - we're usually a pale blue colour all year round......)

Oh dear! Better get some serious sun tan protection.! Thanks for the warning.

Oh and "Happy Independence Day" to you all - I hope its safe and happy for everyone.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:52 AM
xxx

The same security exists everywhere. If you have a museum at home you see this, no?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 07:01 AM
Bill I

Having been to DC many times during the summer months, my take on the weather is, it has never stopped me from visiting at that time, but after my very first visit, I did become more cautious about the weather there. There are trees, & parks, etc all around the District, but in the open areas there is alot of cement & buildings & the sun beating down on those & reflecting off onto you, plus the sun beating down on you directly, can give you a nasty burn & the humidity can make you feel like you are going to melt. Just make sure you take precautions & drink water. There are usually carts on about every other corner selling things to drink. Prior posters have good sugestions.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 07:04 AM
kayd

KC, the brutal weather should be over by the time you get here at the end of August. The worst is usually late June through July, though we could have a 90-degree spell anytime from April to October. The beastly heat does not last the entire summer, but comes in spurts of a week or so; there's usually a bit of a breather before the next one hits.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 08:13 AM
gail

Yes, it is very hot in August. But you are going as a tourist. You control the pace and time of your travels. I feel for the people who must work outside in the heat in the summer, especially those doing hard physical work or in hot required uniforms, or both.

So as a tourist, going there by choice, staying in a nice air-conditioned hotel, I will not complain or feel sorry for mystelf if it is hot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -