Washington DC-One Day

Old Apr 25th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washington DC-One Day

Monday in Washington DC--what to do? White House and Supreme Court already scheduled. Any tips on interesting sightseeing? Architecture of DC? Unusual museums?
Old Apr 25th, 2016, 11:58 AM

Take the bus that goes around the memorials; get off to see the FDR and WWII memorials, and of course the Lincoln.

It would be helpful if you tell us what you've seen in past visits, if any, so we don't repeat.
Old Apr 25th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

You are right -- have been before and seen all the memorials. Thought we would try and see the "other" Washington DC. Have not been to Library of Congress or Dupont Circle. What do you suggest?
Old Apr 25th, 2016, 01:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One question I have is when you've got the WH and the SC tours scheduled during the day and how much time that might allow for visiting another place?

The Library of Congress and the Folger Shakespearean Library are in the vicinity of the Supreme Court and would be good choices for a 3rd spot to see. Both close in the 5-5:30 time frame.

Dupont Circle is a neighborhood with residential streets, shops & restaurants, some embassies. There is some interesting architecture that is worth a wander around to view from the street. Here is something I just pulled off of google but will give you a sense of what is there: http://dc.curbed.com/maps/take-a-ten...-dupont-circle. Most of the places that offer admission (Phillips Collection, Woodrow Wilson House, Heurich House among them) are closed on Mondays or are only open on select special days like the embassies.

Other possibilities are some of the lesser visited Smithsonian museums: The Freer Gallery and the Museum of African Art. The Haupt Victorian Garden between those two places (and behind the Smithsonian Castle) is a lovely spot to visit. Also consider the National Building Museum. These places also close around 5:30. Open later until 7 pm are the Portrait Gallery and the American Art Museum.
Old Apr 25th, 2016, 01:46 PM

We really enjoyed the Newseum. Well worth a visit if you have the time.

We also found the US Holocaust Memorial Museum to be very moving.
Old Apr 25th, 2016, 02:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with RoamsAround on both Museums mentioned. Newseum has a lot to see and also agree on the Holocaust Museum being moving.

One day is tough to soak up so much of DC! You could always have dinner in a neighborhood like Dupont Circle just to see it and walk around a little. The hop on hop off buses get you around from place to place with ease.
Old Apr 25th, 2016, 05:28 PM

I realize you have been to the monuments but if you haven't been at night, do it if you are able. Completely different experience and one of my favorites, even more moving than in the daytime. The Lincoln Memorial and Korean War Memorials, especially.
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 08:20 AM

I recently did a nighttime monuments tour. However, we only stopped at the Lincoln, FDR, and Iwo Jima memorials. Still, it was a long but nice tour. The weather was cold still, so now that things are getting warmer, it would be a much more interesting trip. I'm sad, however, that we didn't stop at the Jefferson Memorial. That's the only one I've never visited.