Reload this Page >

Washington DC metro question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 05:38 AM
Lanie

Alright, I have a safety question regarding the metro . . .I have to take the Metro orange line from Metro Center to New Carrollton in order for some friends to pick me up there. What kind of neighborhood is New Carrollton in? Is the orange line in that direction "safe"? Thanks for any help.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 05:41 AM
r-travels

Yes, it's safe. There's a big parking lot in front, and an Amtrak/Marc station adjacent. There's security from all three around. Should be no problem.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Christina

Generally, it's safe to take the metro anywhere at any time -- in the metro. However, New Carrollton is indeed one of the stations with the highest crime rates and it is not the greatest area (I had friend who lived in a lower-income apt complex there so I've been around there visiting her and when we went out, and it is just not the nicest area and does have higher crime rates than many other parts of the metro region). They had an article recently in the Post on stations and crime rates and it was one of the highest noticeably. Most crime at stations involves car thefts and muggings outside the metro, of course, or walking to your car or on the streets nearby. So, I wouldn't advise you not to take that metro at all if you need to, but I would be alert and not be thrilled about walking alone distances from that station or at night around there. You didn't say the time of day you were doing this, which would affect my comfort level and where your friends are going to meet you, day time is always better, of course.

In any case, here is a link with the Post article on metro crime by station, so decide for yourself
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=metro/specials/metrorail&contentId=A42743-2002Jan26&notFound=true

You can click on the links by line color and get exact breakdowns by station on crime by type. Here is the chart for the orange line
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/metro/daily/graphics/metrocrime012702.htm

So, New Carrollton is one of the highest overall, but it is reassuring to see most of that is auto theft and destruction of property and larceny, NOT assault which is actually higher at some center city stations such as Metro Center or L'Enfant Plaza (of course, they have much more traffic volume so the incidence may be higher). I think that's reassuring that there are only about 4 assaults a year at that station, but I'd watch my car.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 02:24 PM
r-travels

I don't dispute any of Christina's post. Lanie did say some friends were going to pick her up, so I think it would be safe in the station, where she can look out onto the parking lot and passenger pickup areas, and leave when they arrive, or maybe someone can come in to find her. There's nothing in the area you'd want to walk to anyway.

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 01:56 PM
pete

The Amtrak station is attached to the metro station, and there is a lounge/ticket area in the Amtrak station section. you could wait in there, it's out of the weather and is staffed by the ticket agents and has all the people waiting to catch their Amtrak trains. Might be a more comfortable option than standing outside the station by yourself.

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 03:28 PM
mjh

I agree about staying in the station and having your friends come in for you. I was there recently with other people and I still was not happy about walking out to the parking garage. The surrounding area is not great.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Oater

New Carrollton is a suburb of DC that has experienced great decline since my days living in that area. Shopping centers are boarded up of half-leased. Prince George's County, MD may lead the nation's suburban counties in murder rates. That said, you are very safe picking up and being picked up at the subway. What crime there is at New Carrollton is usually light robbery of parked cars in the parking lots. I park there five days a week and occasionally you'll see a few car windows smashed out by some petty thief.