Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Washington, DC -- last minute suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2000, 06:29 PM
Jeannie

I have read various travel guides and researched previous posts on this forum about DC. However,nothing beats hearing from the locals. Is there anything you think I should know/beware that only a local would know? I realize this sounds vague, but I would appreciate nay suggestions, warnings, etc. I'll be in Virginia and DC October 18-23.

Old Oct 14th, 2000, 09:12 PM
Joy in VA

Avoid driving on beltway during rush hour if you can - take the Metro! Accidents, construction, & heavy traffic make trips an adventure. Last week we went from Richmond to Alexandria - took 2 & 1/2 hours to get there, only 1& 1/2 hours to get back. AM trip was during rush hour, for trip home we left before 3 PM. Weather coming up this week is supposed to be great! Favorite place for lunch is Reeves Bakery, favorite place for dinner is Capitol Brewing Company, try some of their micro-brews. Have fun!

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 06:24 AM
Marybeth

I think the Marine Corps Marathon is this weekend, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Stay away from Capitol City Brewing Co. Just another chain restaurant.

In Virginia, try Litte Viet Garden in Arlington; Union Street Cafe, Landini Brothers, and the Warehouse in Old Town Alexandria; RTs in Alexandria (not in Arlington--the original is much better than the copy); DC Coast, Hunan of Chinatown in D.C.

Stay off the metro until 9:30 a.m. It will only be unpleasant for you and the commuters. Stand to the right on the escalator unless you're walking. Don't buy from the street vendors down by the Mall. Go to the U.S. History and Aerospace Museums. Don't miss the Einstein statue or FDR memorial. You can get almost as good a view from the Old Post office tower as the Washington Monument, assuming the line at the Wash. Mon. is 12 miles long.

MUST DO: Have a drink at the top of the Hotel Washington at night. Drive the monuments at night. Have a Manush dog at 21st and I streets, NW, in front of Tower Records. Walk through Dumbarton Oaks garden/cemetary in Georgetown.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 09:27 AM
Cindy

Jeannie,

You've picked a great time to go. I would bring rain gear. Bring a picnic for the day(s) you plan to spend on the mall because you might find yourself far from an eatery when you get hungry, and dining in the shadow of the Washington Monument is neat.

If you metro, every person in your party needs his/her own ticket, and if you use a big bill to buy your tickets, you will carry around a pocket full of quarters. If you Metro, please, please, stand aside when the train arrives and let everyone off before you board, and give your seat to disabled people.

Don't drive. If you drive, park carefully because they really ticket here. If you drive, don't cheat through a red light because they have serious photo enforcement in the District.

Call the office of your senator(s) or congressperson and see if any White House/Kennedy Center tour tickets have surfaced. If not, they may let you drop by and see the chambers, and you can pick up passes to view the House in session. When my parents visited, they met their senator, John McCain, and they were pretty impressed. Pay attention, because you'll sometimes see political "celebrities" going about their business (Supreme Court justices, journalists, etc.).

Have a great time!

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 10:32 AM
Jeannie

Joy, Marybeth, and Cindy,
Thanks you for your advice. I arrived home last night from a wonderful trip. We were able to view some of the Marathon- what a sight! I had worried that the Marathan would make getting around diffucult, but it didn't, and only added to our enjoyment. DC and Virginia have beautiful scenery and helpful people. I'' post a trip report on a separate post after I catch up with work. Thanks again.