Reload this Page >

Washington DC Getaway

Search

Washington DC Getaway

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 1997, 01:20 PM
Jeff Sluggett

Washington DC Getaway

My wife and I will be going to Washington DC for four days at the end of December, 1997. Would appreciate recommednations for a really special hotel. Thanks.

Old Dec 7th, 1997, 06:17 PM
Amanda Hein

Hello!

I've been to Washington for the inaguaration. All though I can't think of a great hotel (our's wasn't)
I would definatly reccomend going by the holocaust museum. It was definatly the most touching experience I have ever had. Have fun and bundle up!! (It's REALLY REALLY cold there!)

Amanda

Old Dec 7th, 1997, 06:52 PM
Donna

Not sure what you mean by "really special", but we like the Hampshire Hotel (800-368-5691), an all-suite European style hotel with really reasonable rates. Also nice is the Canterbury Hotel (800-424-2950), another reasonably priced place. Both are very well located near the Dupont Circle metro stop. It is recommended that you stay in the NW quadrant for safety reasons. You should book early, as this is a popular for parents to visit with kids on school vacation. While there, be sure to drive past (or take a taxi) all the monuments at night!

Old Dec 7th, 1997, 08:41 PM
Dan

The Hay-Adams is probably the most "special" hotel in DC - right across Lafayette Park from the White House - luxurious, historic and a good chance of rubbing elbows with prominent polticos. Further up 16th Street is the Jefferson Hotel - not quite as ritzy as the Hay-Adms but close. And then on Connecticut Avevue is the Mayflower - a great old hotel restored in the late 80's and in a terrific location. One other possibilty - the Willard Intercontinental on Pennsylvania Avenue at 14 th St. - also recently restored, very historic, beautiful rooms, discreet service. Any one of these well-known DC hotels would be a good choice.

Old Dec 10th, 1997, 12:37 PM
Kim Pham

I live in DC area. Things I like to do for December are:

-White House Candle light tour
-Holiday's decoration in the museums, especially American History one
-Christmas tree and 50 States' trees' decoration and free performance near the White House (you can't miss it)
-Georgetown, Alexandria Old Town, Kennedy Center,
Mormon's temple's decorations and their nightly free chorus (I am not a Mormon but I go for the music and decoration)
For more info, check out these web sites:
http://www.washingtonpost.com
its weekend sections are very informative.
http://www.kennedy-center.org
http://www.cultural-alliance.org/tickets
-Depends on your budget, but I highly recommend to stay near the metro station for convenience

Old Dec 12th, 1997, 11:57 AM
babs

looking for a very nice hotel, i concur with with the hay adams -- also the willard, the four seasons in georgetown, the sheraton carlton, the jefferson, and the mayflower. as for staying by the metro stop, i don't think any of these hotels are by such a stop...cabs are plentiful and not that expensive..
i am native washingtonian for over 40 years...it gets cold here but not as cold as philly, nyc or boston, expect 40's during day, 20-30's at night, ..if you are not from this area, other attractions with rental car are: williamsburg, richmond, gettysburg, the beaches...e-mail me back if you want some specifics on restaurants, etc.
and give me some idea what you're looking for...have a good time...

Old Dec 14th, 1997, 07:48 AM
jeff

Thank you for your thoughts. Yes, if you have any recommednations on restaurants I would appreciate receiving them. Would like to find something intimate and elegant, but not overly "stuffy."

Old Dec 15th, 1997, 09:01 AM
Neal Sanders

The best sunday brunch in Washington, far and away,is at the Ritz-Carlton Pentagon City. There are two seatings, 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. In addition to excellent food and a cozy setting, there's ample opportunity for VIP watching. The 1789 Restaurant has excellent French fare in a townhouse setting, complete with fireplaces. Citronelle (in Georgetown) has fusion French-California cuisine in a light, airy dining room. I Matti in Adams Morgan is tops for Italian, and has the kind of intimate atmosphere I think you're looking for.

Old Dec 16th, 1997, 12:49 PM
Christina

I've only lived in DC a few years, but I do know
where the metro stops are--I think all of the hotels
mentioned are close to metro stops except the Four
Seasons in Georgetown. It's up to you whether you
want to depend on cabs, but I would want to stay
near a metro stop as the metro is preferable to
cabs for convenience and comfort. Warning: cabs
in DC are worse than any city I've ever been in the
US -- they're filthy, often not in very good
operating condition, there's usually no air cond-
itioning if you're coming in summer, and cabbies
are often rude (well, that's true in NY, also) and
bad drivers. Fares aren't bad, however, if they
don't try to cheat you, which they often do because
they actually have a system in DC without meters.
You can get a lot of good restaurant reviews
and recommendations on two WEB sites --
the Washington Post (www.washingtonpost.com) and
Washingtonian magazine (www.washingtonian.com).

Old Dec 17th, 1997, 08:47 AM
babs

restaurants I would steer you to -- if you are going to stay in d.c. and remain "geographically desireable": MAYFLOWER HOTEL has the most lovely sunday brunch ($28 pp) -- my 3 favorite places in dc are the CAPITOL GRILLE AT 6TH AND PA AVE NW(aged meats, seafood, $$$, leather banquettes, cozy, also has cigar bar with excellent ventilation), THE OCCIDENTAL RESTAURANT, at 14th & Pa Ave NW (quiet, get table upstairs, $$$),and I RICCI, 19th St NW
($$$, excellent italian)...i concur that you should also search washington post and washingtonian magazine web pages...cabs are dirty everywhere, but since there is no rush hours on sat and sun, from one part of town to the other, it shouldn't cost you more than $7-8.50 for 2...subway is clean and safe, get a map before you get on, it can be tricky...have great time.

Old Dec 18th, 1997, 05:47 AM
Barbara

I live in Aberdeen, Scotland but this summer I visited Washington D.C. for 10 days. We stayed at the Grand Hyatt Washington which was wonderful. We got it reasonably cheap through a package deal but otherwise I believe it's pretty dear to stay there. The service was incredible but not over the top. As far as restaurants go we visited a lot of great ones including Red Sage(Downtown), Meskerem(Adams Morgan), On The Rox(Adams Morgan)and Jaleo(Downtown). If your looking for an attractive or romantic stop for an evening drink, there is nothing better than Sky Terrace in the Washington Hotel near the Whitehouse. The panoramic view of the monuments and the skyline make it really spacial. And finally to all you Washingtonians out there, this was the first of many times I have visited Washington but I have already fallen in love with your city. I would love to keep in touch with any of you and learn more about you and what's going on out there until I can get back over. And if anyone would like to lend me a hand in getting a greencard, I would be VERY grateful!!

Old Dec 18th, 1997, 05:09 PM
Rod Hoots

Agree with Dan's recommendations on hotels. If you stay at one of those world class places, the doorman may use the hotel limos to get you to downtown locations. Otherwise, he will get you a cab and tell you what the fare should be. If the driver tries to cheat you, take his number (posted on back of the front seat) and tell him you'll report him to the hotel doorman.