Washington D.C. - Hotel Recommendation

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 08:53 AM
Glenn Goldberg

Washington D.C. - Hotel Recommendation

My wife and I will be in D.C. at the end of July. We have two reservations, one at the Embassy Row Hilton near Dupont Circle, and the other at the Westin Hotel closer to GW university.

Can anyone recommend which one is more convenient to the METRO and the various downtown attractions? Which is safer, or are they both nice places? We have never been there so any suggestions are appreciated.

Finally, is the Embassy Row Hilton at Dupont Circle the same hotel as the Washington Hilton at Dupont Circle I've heard mentioned?

Thanks.

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 09:12 AM
Diana

My family went to Washington, D.C., in April, and
we stayed at the Hilton in Alexandria, VA. It
is right next to the Metro, and is not far from
Washington D.C. We found this location very
convienent.

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 03:35 PM
kam

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 03:35 PM
kam

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 03:44 PM
kam

I also like the idea of staying in Alexandria--it gets you out of the crowds of D.C. and into a beautiful little town on the river. The metro stop in Alexandria is on King Street in the middle of town. As far as I know there is only one Washington Hilton and that's on Connecticut Ave, NW at 19th Street. That would be very close to DuPont Circle which is a metro stop. You don't tell me what your hotel at Foggy Bottom is: there are 2 metro stops, "Foggy Bottom" near GWU at 23rd Street and "Farragut West at 18th Street. Any of the areas is safe---try to stay as close to the Metro as possible as you will use it continuously. Only exception is to go to Georgetown, which has no metro. None of the stops above are transfer stops to other lines, so you will need to go to a transfer station and switch, but it's extremely easy. Remember it will be hot and humid in Washington in summer--wear good walking shoes and enjoy!

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 03:52 PM
kam

Sorry for the confusion on the above posts---I guess you did tell me that it was the Westin in Foggy Bottom---Am assuming that you mean the ANA Westin which is a lovely hotel at M Street, between 24th and 25th. So, your metro stop would be "Foggy Bottom"--Now I guess I'm going to tell you to throw a dart and take either one! If you want a great recommendation for a close by restaurant, try I Ricchi on 19th Street--it's Tuscan and very authentic. Enjoy!