Reload this Page >

Washington D.C. Hotel Choices

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 09:34 AM
noname

My family will be in D.C. next year and we have found similar rates for the Grand Hyatt, Park Hyatt and Washington Hilton and Towers, the Park Hyatt being slightly higher. We intend to do the usual tourist things; the monuments, Smithsonian Institute, the Capital, Ford Theater, Arlington, etc. So a convenient location for sightseeing and restaurants is important, although we would like comfortable accomodations as well. Any thoughts from those of you familiar with these properties? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 10:01 AM
kayd

All three are fine, each with its own advantage:

Grand Hyatt at Metro Center would be best for Metro access to everywhere you want to go during the day. All subway lines intersect near there. (Wash Hilton and Park Hyatt are 4 or 5 blocks from Metro stations).

Wash Hilton is probably the best location for evening strolling and nearby restaurants (it is between Dupont Circle and Adams-Morgan, two of the city's liveliest areas after dark). It is a huge convention hotel, though.

Park Hyatt on 24th Street is lovely, its restaurant very good, and within walking distance of Georgetown (approx 6-8 blocks to the center of things).

The Grand Hyatt is in the central taxi zone with the Mall, monuments, etc. The other two are just outside the downtown zone.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 11:56 AM
noname

Thanks Kayd. Your response filled in some important details when looking at the hotel locations on the map. Can anyone comment on the quality of the hotel accomodations, any preferences? Thanks.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 07:33 AM
plummie

Rooms at the Grand Hyatt are pretty standard Hyatt. The Hilton is older, rooms are okay, not as central as the Grand Hyatt. I much prefer the Park Hyatt. Have been upgraded to a suite several times without asking. Georgetown is an easy walk from there, as is Dupont Circle and the White House area,the Foggy Bottom Metro Station is just a few blocks, and there are lots of good restaurants within walking distance.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 09:49 AM
SO

I would also recommend the Park Hyatt. I used to live near it, and it is definitely the nicest of the three choices. You can easily walk to two Metro stations (Dupont Circle or Foggy Bottom), depending on which line you want to use. However, I often walked to the Mall (monuments and museums), shops, restaurants, theaters, Georgetown, Adams-Morgan, Embassy Row, etc. The restaurant serves afternoon tea as well as full meals.

The Grand Hyatt and Washington Hilton are also conveniently located, but not nearly as charming, in my opinion.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 08:23 AM
BrooklynMama

You don't mention the ages of your children, if any. I always find having a pool in the hotel really makes a big difference, especially with children. Not all these hotels have pools, I would check that out. You might be able to get a break in price on Hotwire or Priceline, although some of the pools are outdoors and therefore seasonal.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 08:28 AM
Eva

I agree with the benefit of having a pool if your trip includes kids and takes place in the summer.

If you haven't already done so, check out capitolreservations.com. I have used them many times over the past 10 years and they consistently have the best rates and a no hassle policy regarding cancellations.

Enjoy your trip!

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 08:30 AM
dcp

I stayed at the Hyatt Downtown/Capital and would highly recommend it based on location. While the room was pretty standard, it did have an indoor pool & workout facility, my room had a view of the Capital, and only 3-4 blks from the Central Station. In addition, it is a very short and safe walk to the Capital, Smithsonian Museums, etc.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 08:31 AM
dcp

I stayed at the Hyatt Downtown/Capital and would highly recommend it based on location. While the room was pretty standard, it did have an indoor pool & workout facility, my room had a view of the Capital, and only 3-4 blks from the Central Station. In addition, it is a very short and safe walk to the Capital, Smithsonian Museums, etc. FYI- I was able to book it thru expedia for only $69 a night.