COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Washington, D.C. - Christmas Week - lunch and dinner ideas, please

Old Dec 9th, 2006, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Hello there~

My DH and I will be staying at the JW Marriott on Pennsylvania Avenue for a few nights during Christmas week.

We need some suggestions for casual lunches and dinners. We're pretty flexable as to cost per person (but we're not big drinkers). We're also open to all kinds of food and chocolately desserts!

The only thing we have planned so far is to visit the Spy Museum - any suggestions in that area?

Thanks for your help!

STW
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 06:14 AM

zaytinya near the spy museum is excellent. zola and zengo are as well. Jaleo is nearby and is a fabulous tapas place. austin grill next to jaleo is a great casual mexican restaurant.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

We love tapas! Jaleo looks great, thanks Bambii!!
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 07:16 AM

I heartily second all of bambii's recommendations. A few others to keep in mind in the general downtown vicinity include

-- Ella's, which has pizza in its title but serves so many other good things -- http://www.ellaspizza.com/

-- Matchbox, which is a welcome respite in Chinatown from all of the nearby chain restaurants: http://www.matchboxdc.com/

-- Full Kee, one of the very few decent Chinese restaurants still in Chinatown:http://www.fullkeedc.com/

-- Les Halles, which serves French bistro-style fare: http://www.leshalles.net/washington.php

-- Teaism, on 8th street: http://www.teaism.com/

I've erred here on the side of interpreting "casual" as relatively low cost; however, Rosa Mexicano and Oceanaire Seafood Room (even though it is a chain) and Cafe Atlantico are a few others at a higher price level that I would still describe as 'casual' in feel -- i.e., service warm and friendly, no need to wear a suit . . .

Bon Appetit!
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the links MoonGirl!

We are looking for places with a warm and relaxing atmosphere (where business casual is acceptable).
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Well, that certainly leaves your options wide open -- it is difficult to think of a restaurant in DC these days where business casual (versus tourist casual) would not be appropriate. There is probably a handful if I thought hard enough, but why bother when there are so many other great dining choices these days. In addition to those already mentioned, consider Rasika (one of the "hottest" new restaurants in town, both delicious and fun--I'd recommend reservations) and Ceiba (very close to your hotel, at 14th and G). I've also had good food at Chef Geoff's on 14th Street--slightly more casual than the others I've mentioned, but the service has been uneven. Red Sage is an oldie but goody, and a real bargain if you eat upstairs in the cafe area.

Old Dec 9th, 2006, 01:10 PM

whoops, Chef Geoff's is on 13th, between F and G.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 02:27 PM

HI STW -

So glad to hear you're coming down to DC. My first thought before reading the responses was Zaytinya - we had a great meal there. I don't know all of the other places, but those are good suggestions.

Have fun!
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, everyone!

Nice to "see" you Fun4all4 - we are looking forward to our trip!

Old Dec 11th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Seetheworld, I wrote a post earlier today about the Botanical Gardens. I highly recommend going there. The National Museum of the American Indian is a good place to eat lunch. The two buildings are next to each other.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 04:22 PM

Seetheworld: I hope you have a great time. I just wanted to second the recommendation of Jaleo. I went in 2001 and it was very crowded but I remember great service, great food, and a really fun time. I hope you have the chance to go.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Devon, thanks for the heads up on the gardens!! Can't wait!

Thanks, coldwater! Jaleo is a definite. I'll call to make reservations!

Old Dec 11th, 2006, 10:32 PM

Have fun seetheworld, we will be in DC on Dec (?) looking at Georgetown and George Washington.
Thanks for the suggestions!!!!
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 11:05 PM

Hi STW!

Have you considered Jaleo?

Hee hee, I know a hundred people have already suggested it but I just have to tell you it was always one of my all time favs in DC!

Have a GREAT trip!!!

Old Dec 16th, 2006, 06:48 PM

M&S Grill on the corner of F & 13th. Just ate there last night and it was fantabulous!

Great service, nice atmosphere, food was utterly outstanding. I had blackened halibut/mashed potatoes(OMG good) and my husband had the hanger steak au jus. We also opted for the calmari appetizer and 4 desserts (to sample them all).

Without any alcohol, dinner cost us $105 including 20% tip. We are in town through February and will be dining there a LOT.
Give it a try!
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 09:02 PM

I don't know if they still do this, but we did a tour of the National Cathedral that included a high tea. Just cute little finger sandwiches and tea, but the cathedral was magnificent, with a lovely garden...very memorable experience.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional suggestions!

The cathedral tour and tea idea a is wonderful suggestion!!!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Darn, I didn't post this under Washington, D.C.

So what about those chocolate desserts?
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 05:33 PM

We have been to Zatinya and it is fun and good. Also, CF Folks on 19th Street, for sandwiches and counter food. Don't miss Fractured Prune on P Street at 21st for fresh baked doughnuts. Do Christmas weekend brunch at Nathans, the corner of Wisconsin and M in Georgetown, which puts you in the center of the action. Bistro Le Pic above Georgetown is good for a French bistro meal, also Montmartre on Capitol Hill. The National Gallery of Art has excellent day time eating options. For fun, try Les Halles.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 06:32 PM

stw, I eat dessert less often than I like, but in the vicinity of your hotel, Cafe Atlantico, Ceiba, Les Halles, and 701 Restaurant are all known to do desserts well, including chocolate ones. Most have on-line menus to peruse. One bonus for dessert lovers - many of the restaurants in the area of your hotel offer a three-course "pre-theater" menu early in the evening at a very reasonable cost -- prices and hours vary by restaurant, but some of these are a very good deal. Enjoy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO