Settling in to Durham NC!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We did it! Made the BIG move. I've always heard how stressful moving can be, and never believed it. Ah, but all the other times I'd moved I was, ahem, young and while I THOUGHT I had lots of "Stuff" ---- well after 27 years in one house in the DC suburbs we had a huge job to do sorting out what to save and what to toss, what to sell and what to donate. Also, I retired after 25 years at one company, so our entire lifestyle has changed as well.

There were a few horror stories that caused extreme stress, but I'll only "shorthand" them here: Not getting out of Maryland until 4PM after settling on that house, no utilities at new house, mover shows up 2 days early and settlement, catching horrible colds for the first time in years -- with one resulting in a sinus infection over July 4th, problems with sewer ejector system over July 4th (as important as it sounds it might be).

Anyway, we survived that first horrid week and have settled in quite happily. This is a fantastic area for us. Our neighbors are delightful and welcoming, it is extremely easy to get to where we need to go, and life is much more locally focused here than it was in the DC area.

People are generally more relaxed and less stressed, employment is quite high and the clerks in stores are plentiful, helpful, and polite.

We went to a Durham Bulls game the other night -- having been big Orioles and Nationals fans --- and it took only 8 minutes to get to the beautiful new stadium, parking on the street was free and plentiful, a guy sold us great seats for $8 each (face value, behind the duggout just past 1st base), we made friends with the guy
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

argh -- wasn't done yet!

We met a guy from Chapel Hill at the ballgame who told us about the concert series he books for his neighborhood (Southern Village). We checked it out this past Sunday, as the group performing was a local group that does Gilbert & Sullivan shows annually. I had checked it out online while researching the area as a possible activity for myself, and I think I'll definately follow up on that.

My first "retirement" project was to recover the cushions for an antique wicker loveseat and rocker that we bought in Hillsborough (another nearby town). It looks pretty and along with a nice wrought iron table and chairs gives us a livable screened in porch I know will get a lot of use.

In a few weeks I hope to generate interest in a Triangle area Fodors GTG!!??!! We have several wonderful friends from the DC Fodor's group that I am excited about starting one up here.

We're on the northwest corner of Durham, a couple miles from the Orange County line and it seems like we can get everywhere very easily from here.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 06:41 AM

Welcome to the Tarheel State!
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 07:45 AM

I think you've done more in a month living in Durham than I have in the 6 years I've lived here.

More on 'antiques' stores. In Burlington there are two locations. "Granddaddy's" at the same exit as the outlet just down the road. And another, smaller one near the cigarette outlet store (JP's? You'd think with all their billboards I'd remember the name). In Raleigh there is an antique place in Cameron Village.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 07:50 AM

Hello! Congratulations on your move! Since you mentioned the concert series, I thought I'd also let you know about the North Carolina Theatre in Raleigh. I interned there when I was in college at UNC, and think very highly of the quality of the work. They produce musicals (not to be confused with Broadway Series South, which presents tours), and they do a great job.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! One of my next moves is to get my husband a UNC flag for his birthday next month. The neighbors are happy to have another Tarheel on the block so we'll have to be ready for football season. Actually, we may need to get several flag poles to cover all our allegiances: Purdue for me, NC State for our daughter, and MD for when they play Duke.