Mt. Rogers, Virginia area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Love grew up a few miles from Mt. Rogers and he hasn't been back there in over 40 years. He and I are planning a trip in September and, as usual, he says "Wherever you want to go, Honey". So, I would like to take him "back home" for a visit.
I grew up around NYC and have no idea what this area is like, execept lots of mountains. On our first date, he said, "I'm a Hillbilly and proud of it!" Can anyone tell me about motels, restaurants, sites to see, etc. within 30 miles of this area. We will, of course, visit his boyhood home--he grew up in Rugby-- but I wonder what else we can see. He loves to fish and he is trying to teach me that talent. Can anyone help me?
We are in Pennsylvania and will be traveling on I-81.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 03:17 PM

Minette,
There are two Rugbys in VA. One in or near Roanoke on I-81, and the other in Albemarle County which would be I-81 to I-64 east towards Charlottesville area.

go to freetrip.com and as you scroll down to submit, click on the hotel price range you want. After you hit submit. a choice of which Rugby you want will appear.

Enjoy your trip down through the Shenandoah Valley. There is much to do in either area.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 09:06 AM

This area is rural and very beautiful. It is a favorite of hikers (Appalacian trail, Virginia Creeper Trail)and for picturesque bucolic drives on the back roads and on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Your two best bets for hotels and restaurants will be either Abingdon (45 miles away) or Damascus (30 miles away) and it depends whether you want more of a cultural setting or one that appeals to the outdoorsy crowd. Abingdon has the Barter Theatre , antique shops, arts/crafts/specialty shops. It is a picturesque & historic town. I have not stayed there, but it is known for Camberley?s Martha Washington Inn [Originally built in 1832 as a private residence by a Virginia General, evolved into a finishing school for young ladies, served as a hospital for wounded soldiers during the Civil War, became a women?s college and today is an elegant hotel].
Damascus - has long been an Appalachian Trail hiker's haven and touts itself as the "Friendliest Stop on the Appalachian Trail." Damascus now sports 10 bed and breakfasts, a total of 80 rooms for rent, five bike shops, two antique stores, two backpacking shops and six restaurants. There is also Marion about 30 miles away that has hotels & restaurants. Do realize that once you leave 81 you'll be on country roads, so distance of about 30 miles will take you approximately about an hour to drive.

Grayson Highlands State Park is in the area and I really love it - it includes many beautiful hiking trails. The hike up to Mt. Rogers takes you through the habitat of wild horses and ponies.

You didn't mention if you would be making stops on your way down on 81. Winchester, near N. VA border, has a nice historic district which is a pleasant place to stop for a stroll and lunch or coffee. Charlottesville is 40 minutes off of 81 on Rte. 64. I don't know if you have an interest in history, but if you do you don't want to miss it. It has Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's home)along with several other former presidents' homes, UVA, and really nice historic district. Approximately an hour south on 81 is Lexington, which is one of my favorite towns and I love to take out-of-towners there. Simply gorgeous historic homes (stop at the visitor center for self-guided walking tour), Washington & Lee University that houses the Lee Chapel and Museum (Robert E. Lee), VMI, Stonewall Jackson Home and lovely shops and restaurants.

The Blue Ridge Parkway begins up near Charlottesville and parallels 81 down into NC and has many lovely vistas. It is a lot slower going than 81. Some of my favorite spots are Peaks of Otter, Mabry Mill and Chateau Morisette (restaurant and winery) - much ifno abounds on sites on BRP.

For the "Hillbilly" in your husband the Floyd Country Store is the home of the Friday Night Jamboree. The March, 2000 issue of Country Living magazine identified the Floyd County Store as one of the two best places in the country to hear bluegrass music (the other place was a club in New York City). Floyd is 60 miles south of Roanoke, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the website freetrip.com. Gave me a lot of information and routes.
I've been to Monticello years ago, but Lexington looks like a place my friend and I will visit. And Abingdon looks like the the perfect place to stay. My Love's cousin is a historian and has written many books about Grayson County and Ashe Cty in N. C.
Thanks again for your help!
Minette
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 01:27 PM

I have never been to travel talk/Virginia until today. You see I have lived in Virginia my entire life. When I get ready to travel and hit travel talk, it has always been for the Caribbean or out West. Your heading is what drew my attention to you. You see, I live in Galax, VA about 50 minutes from Mt. Rogers-but that's not all! My husband is from where else: Rugby!! (We will be going there tomorrow to visit his mother.) That is so funny because I never dreamed someone would be inquiring about Rugby. There is not much we couldn't tell you about the area and getting here. There are of course numerous routes but I wouldn't know how to give you any advice unless I had a little more information, such as how long your trip will be and what you are interested in doing. If you want, e-mail me with any questions. If I can't give you a good answer, I will ask my husband! Good luck planning!
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Ireedyva
I would like to e-mail you, but what is your address? If you would rather not have your address written here, please e-mail me at [email protected]. Rugby ties are such a coincidence! But then, it is a small world!