Wash, DC-places to stay outside of

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're looking for places to stay that are close to a Metro stop as we can't really afford to stay in DC proper. We'll need a pool for our 11 & 13 yr olds and NO pets as our son is highly allergic to dog/cat hair and don't want that risk. Our budget max is $150/day. Many of Tyson's Corner and such places are booked 7/26-7/28 for some reason, so this has been somewhat of an ordeal already. All ideas absolutely appreciated. TIA
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 01:48 PM

Try the Holiday Inn at Rosslyn.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 02:09 PM

Did you try any of the hotels in the Crystal City (Arlington VA) area? There are several hotels, a shopping mall, many restaurants and close to Metro.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Peaches1, are we wrong in assumming that the trek to the Metro is a bit much? That's the impression we've been given, anyhowm so we've not really checked. Also, is this a really busy time of year? A ton of places are booked full? TIA
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 02:38 PM

There is a Metro stop in Crystal City; some hotels are of course much closer to it than others.

Since you'll be taking the Metro, the sooner you get familiar with it, the better. Their web site is www.wmata.com. Another handy resource is stationmasters.com, especially their neighborhood maps that show Metro stops and hotels.

But one of the best resources of all is past Fodors threads about Washington DC hotels.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 03:10 PM
ET

The Marriott, Holdiday Inn and Best Western in Rosslyn are close to the Metro. One of them should have a room in your price range.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 03:22 PM

I checked all of the Hilton and related properties (at hilton.com) and was shocked to see the McLean/Tyson's property at $249. That is for your weekdays. Stay the following weekend for $85.

The Hilton in Springfield and the Hampton Inn a half block away from it were around $150. Not any less convenient from there to D.C. than out here in Tyson's, I think, but quite less convenient to Dulles.

Sheraton Premier (Tyson's) for $229, HI at $195+, holy cow.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 03:26 PM

The Holiday Inn in Rosslyn is sold out. The one in Ballston is $160 to $260. Crystal City is $153 to $180.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Yep, I did the Phil Rizzuto yelp as well ! If they're not already booked, it's likely because they're not worth the stay. Should I stay off the Metro aways and then consider parking at the station?
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 03:43 PM

gedt,

I check http://www.capitolreservations.com
(a discount hotel booking sight for DC hotels). The Red Roof Inn Chinatown is available for 7/26-7/28 for $120/night.

Good luck.

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 03:52 PM

parking at the stations is problematic. You'd take a bus to the station. Or a free shuttle like the HI in Crystal City has to the CC station, but their w/s sez it is very near to the station.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Well, I'm off to work and will continue the effort later in the evening if possible. Before I go, is Fairfax a reasonable approach? Seems like I would have to drive to the metro and deal with parking... Thx everybody - be back in touch later hopefully ...
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 05:25 PM

You wouldn't want Tyson's anyway. It's not close to a Metro stop and traffic can be horrible.

Try the Holiday Inn Select in Bethesda, which is often about $150 in the summer, not as convenient as Rosslyn, but nicer than Crystal City or Rosslyn.

There's also a decent, but reasonable Hilton in Silver Spring, which is an excellent spot for families with its revitalized area downtown.

If you don't mind driving a bit to Metro, you can get some decent rates in Gaithersburg, where there's a Hilton and a Holiday Inn just off I-270. It's a quick drive to the Shady Grove Metro stop.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 05:44 PM

We just got back from a trip to DC. We stayed in Fairfax..i am not sure if there was a metro stop nearby but definitely in driving distance. We acutally reserved a nice new Hilton Garden Inn and got on priceline for 45 plus tax , etc....It was only listed at 2 1/2 stars so I was a bit hesitant but there rooms were nice and it had a pool. Although, it's considered a business hotel so the pool is only opened in the evenings during the week but it is open all day into the evening on the weekends. I would definitely recommend it. We have 2 small children and were happy.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 09:11 PM

I have heard that the Radisson in downtown DC is offering some special deals because they are doing remodelling. The pool and restaurant are supposed to be closed but the location is good. Someone mentioned getting a $99 rate by calling the hotel -- worth a try.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 08:40 AM

I would have chosen the Holiday Inn in Rosslyn if not sold out. We stayed at the Best Western recently (with two young kids), which is right next door to the Holiday Inn. The Best Western is a little old and doesn't have the best air conditioning system, but you get free parking, free breakfast, a pool (didn't use it), and it is very close to the Metro. It should cost you around $125 per night during the week. I don't remember about the pet policy, but I don't think it allows them.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 08:50 AM
ET

Did you try calling the Holiday Inn at Rosslyn directly. Sometimes when the web site says they are full, they have rooms available if you call.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 09:03 AM

There's no pool at the Red Roof Inn Chinatown, but it is a nice hotel and in a great location.

In the Rosslyn area, and with a pool is the Quality Inn Iwo Jima .. but it is a bit of a hike to the Metro Station, about 1/3 mi., it had free parking & a restaurant; I've stayed several times.

I stayed at Comfort Inn Franconia-Springfield (no pool) across the street from the Springfield Hilton (pool?) - they both had shuttle to Blue Line metrostation, but it's about 1/2 hour to town. Shopping center & many restaurants nearby.

If you have a car, how about up near Greenbelt, MD; or Laurel. There's always parking at Greenbelt Metro station. Also, since you will be in DC on weekdays, if you stayed near the MARC line (MD) or VRE line (VA) you could use those services to get into town. Good luck.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Ok-so vacation's over and an update is in order re accomodations. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Springfield @ $99/nite. It was clean, had a nice pool, and a very reasonable continental breakfast (quite a few selection of goodies for the kids too) along w/free internet. Though it was booked, it was fairly quiet room-wise and friendly in service. I'd stay there again for sure. As to walking to the Metro from there - absolutely not, especially with kids. You'll need to cross major highway on/off ramps with very little sidewalk - I'd not risk it . The shuttle was more than adequate, timely, and clean. Across the street from the hotel was a Pizza eatery that the kids liked though it was like eating in a deli. Next we stayed in a Quality Inn Lord Paget in Williamsburg (also $99/nite) which had clean rooms, though dated, but with cable and a/c. A pool was a few strides away that the kids liked along with a putting green steps away also. The continental breakfast was in it's own building with more than adequate selection. Again, I'd stay there too. Re. activities, it was a stretch to get all the monuments and sites in when it's 103 out, but we did so. Nicest venues - the NASA air/space ctr, the Capitol bldg tour given by your state congressman's intern was excellent, the view from the Old Post Office bldg was wonderful - a treat for the kids (the food court here was nice too), Union Station, Smithsonian, and of course Arlington Cem. - you gotta see the changing of the guards at minimum. I'd pass on the Ford Theatre as no show was given and the museum though nice was overwhelmed with viewers (and you couldn't go upstairs to the booth Lincoln was shot in either). In Williamsburg we toured some battle grounds (creativity will be needed to keep the kids interested as you car tour or walk some of them as there's not always alot to see. The Inns were nice but this is more for older crowd not kids unless you do the Busch Garden run. So that's it for now, and thx to all for the help. I hope this will be helpful to the next traveler seeking info...
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 03:01 PM

Thank you for the update. Was the Holiday Inn Express near tho other hotels?? Strange that you mention QI Lord Paget, as I've been thinking of staying there next time in Wbg, something I do often. I've driven around the property; it strikes me like an pretty well kept up 50s/60s motor court. Others will disagree, but I'd rather stay a little further out & spend time on subway if I can save lodging money to spend elsewhere. Kids think it a novelty anyway, so it's almost a treat. Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -