Search

Warm Weather Weekend - Dayle's Quick Trip to Zion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warm Weather Weekend - Dayle's Quick Trip to Zion

Hi All,

A super short trip report of my spring weekend to Zion. Took a 1/2 day off work to drive down from SLC. It's a 4 1/2 hour drive and I prefer to drive it during the day because there are SO many deer in central and southern Utah.

Stayed at a B&B that was new for me, the Canyon Vista B&B. My room ($100/night) was very nice and the bed comfy, but the bathroom was quite small with no cabinet surface at all. Not very convenient for women. Hairdryer provided, but no shampoos or tissues. The breakfasts were good enough, but I've had better. The location (between Rockville and Springdale) has nice views, but too far to walk to town restaurants. The property could be nicer, not much of a patio and the house is right on the highway. The owners are very nice, relaxed and helpful.

I had planned to try out the Spotted Dog. Without a res, I only had to wait about 10 minutes which was fine. They were very busy and unfortunately their waitstaff was painfully inexperienced. I sat and waited about 10 minutes before a waiter came to answer a menu and wine question, again OK on a busy night. Question answered, he asked if I needed a minute to decide. I did, and he left. I sat for another 20 minutes, unable to get anyone's attention to order. In the meantime I watched while groups who had been seated after me were on to their salads! I waited another 5 minutes - then I was OUT OF THERE!

Nipped down the to always yummy Zion Pizza and Noodle and had a great Focaccia bread pizza, olive oil, green olives, sun dried and Roma tomatoes, garlic, fresh basil, 4 kinds of cheese.

Chatted with a family from Chicago on spring break with their little girls. I asked if they had seen the turkeys in Zion and they had. They eagerly told me how the male turkeys were fanning their tails (mating season), then proceeded to show me their "turkey dance." Great!

Had nice weather and I was surprised at how busy the park seemed without the shuttles running. Cars everywhere! Thank goodness for the shuttles, they start running April 1.

Happy travels everyone!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 07:06 PM

I enjoyed your report - thanks for posting. I'm so ready for spring!
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 03:07 AM

Thanks for the report, Dayle. Is this the first time you stayed "outside" of Springdale? Just curious.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:16 AM

Dayle, thanks for the report.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sharondi,

Usually I camp, but other times I've stayed at the Desert Pearl, Zion Park Lodge and The Novel House B&B. All very nice.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:49 AM

Four and a half hour drive to Zion....I am so JEALOUS! Thanks for the trip report.

Utahtea
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Prego! I thought people would like to hear about another lodging option.

One of the reasons I love living in Park City. It's paradise it its own right, but it's also a 4 1/2 hour drive to Moab, Zion, or Jackson. Works for me!
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:54 PM

Dayle,

Here's a knife....go ahead stick it right into my and then I can be done with this torture!

Bay Area to Moab 1007 miles, 24 hours driving, Bay Area to Zion 711 miles, 12 hours driving, Bay area to Jackson 958 miles and 24 hours driving.

Of course it's only 1 mile and 5 minutes to my one and only adorable grandson!

Utahtea