Search

Wanting to Move to the States From Canada

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanting to Move to the States From Canada

Good Day Everyone,

Being on the verge of graduating and receiving my degree from the US (Detroit, MI), I figured if I want to move from the cold weather and pretty much start my life anew I would move to the US. There really isn't anything binding me - so I figured if I want to move - now is the time. But before looking for a job, I would like to know where I should start looking (state-wise) first.

Being Canadian - I frankly do not know much other than what I see in Detroit, Michigan. So I figured I would ask online for some advice (I hope this is the right place, if not then I apologize)

What I am looking for is:
- A friendly place
- Not to expensive to live at
- A place with nice weather - no snow, not super hot/sticky... just nice weather above 66 degrees year round

I know I am asking for a lot - so anything as close to my description as possible would be nice.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 12:35 PM

I think you need to explore US Immigration laws before chosing a place to live.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

@Placename - already have no worries. My degree, passport, driver's license, social security... pretty much I need is set up! All I need is a stamped sevis form from my employer - so what I need now is a job...

But before I search for that - I want to know the better or at least my ideal area to search in... I know I sound silly but I have been in school for so so so long and now that I am finally graduating with a good degree, I'm thinking what's wrong with searching for happiness if at all possible?
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 12:52 PM

San Diego has lovely weather all year.

But I also think you should make sure you understand the US immigration rules. Do you already have a visa that permits a U.S. employer to hire you? I'm guessing that you have a student visa but that it will soon expire.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 12:55 PM

"so what I need now is a job"

Nuff said
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 01:44 PM

I think it will be hard to find a place the meets all your requirements, but you can probably get most of them.

San Diego would fit all of your requirements except cost of living - it isn't as expensive as some places, but is on the high end. It isn't above 66°F year round, but the weather is pretty good. It doesn't freeze. People are pretty nice there too.

Arizona and New Mexico might fit the bill. It does get pretty hot there, but humidity is low, so you don't have the stickiness. Winter time isn't particularly cold if you aren't in the higher elevations. And cost of living is lower than California. So you would have to compromise on weather a bit, but these areas would meet your cost of living and friendliness requirements.

The south eastern US is pretty mild weather-wise in the winter, but it is hot and sticky in the summer. High humidity there. And it does snow in many areas, at least occasionally. But cost of living is lower and the people are friendly.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 01:44 PM

We hire lots of recent graduates from other countries at my place of work (it's not a field lots of American citizens want to enter). This is perfectly legit as long as Mysty finds a job and gets the paperwork done before his or her student visa expires.

Requiring weather that's 66 degrees or more all year round really does limit your choices, though. Even most places in the Southeast don't meet that criteria. Florida gets hot and sticky. I think you're looking at southern California, maybe somewhere in Arizona/New Mexico, or Hawaii if you can get a job there.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 01:55 PM

Cost of living ain't cheap in Hawaii.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 03:13 PM
BKD

We have hot and sticky in the summer (you get used to it) with very mild winters, but more and more young people are moving to New Orleans. Check out 504ward.com. You may actually find a job here, too!
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 05:04 PM

The city-data website is a better venue to do research of this kind.

I'm also curious to know why the OP thinks it's OK to come down here to take a job in the US when Canada strictly refuses to allow US citizens to do the reverse.

Given this is the OP's only post, am wondering if this is a troll or not.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses I appreciate it!!! I understand all my requirements can't be met LOL. I guessed I pushed it with the weather. I'll look into everything you have mentioned.

In terms of why should someone like me move to the US? Well I do believe that the US appreciates people who contribute to it's economy as opposed to feed of it. I will be graduating as a Pharmacists and from my understanding the the south (not Michigan though) are in need of those. So if anything - I will be contributing to the health care system. In terms of what Canada's up to... well that's there problem. People are moving from Canada to the US for many reason (in my case it's not money because Pharmacists get paid pretty much almost the same as the US and I want to work hospital so either way I'm getting paid less... I just want a fresh start to my life). Again thanks

PS. I really am taking this post seriously
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 07:16 PM

My medical doctor and several of her friends/colleagues from Canada did the exact same thing. They were all born and raised in Canada, earned their degrees in the US and are now MD's here.
I don't think it's all that unusual. Maybe it's more common in the medical field.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 08:55 PM

I an a Canadian nurse living in the US- moved here when immigration was much easier than now.
Let me put in a plug for Oregon- not quite the temp you require- but weather is pretty mild- I live in Eugene and has not snowed here all winter- however, its just an hour drive to the snow so if you like to ski, its available. If you like the outdoors, there is so much to do here, raft, hike, bike, ski, fishing, crabbing- really every weekend is like a vacation if you choose to make it one.

In Eugene, a new hospital has recently opened- Sacred Heart at Riverbend - it is one of the most beautiful hospitals in the US - built along the McKenzie River- some people actually go fly fishing on their lunch hour. It really is state of the art- and I happen to know that they are advertising for pharmacists- I also know a recruiter so if this is at all interesting to you, let me know.

Eugene is an hour to the mountains, an hour to the coast and an hour and half to Portland which is a fabulous city to visit.

The downside of Eugene is that to me it feels a bit small- like the feel of Portland - but still many advantages to living here.

We have several physicians here who are from Canada- and of course, me. I am from Saskatchewan- where are you from?

Good luck in your search- I like living here - but in my heart, still a Canadian.
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 02:36 AM

Pharmacists are still in demand - although from what I hear those starting out often have to work really bad hours as so many places go to 24 hour pharmacy care (not just retail stores - everywhere).

The weather part is difficult - not too many places like that and they are mostly quite expensive. Also, think about it a bit more. After living in Canada, I think you might get bored with that in a short time. How about a place with a much shorter winter - like North Carolina or coastal Virginia? Cost of living is less expensive than some other areas.

With all due respect to Detroit - which has suffered horribly due to auto industry downturn - almost anyplace will have better weather and Detroit is not a very nice place these days.
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 07:07 AM

Oregon sounds like a great place to look at as well.

As mentioned earlier, San Diego would meet all the desired traits except cost. One could live in less expensive areas on the outskirts of san diego though and still have access in reasonable driving distance to all that is here....beaches, vibrant downtown and unique waterside communities. It is not ALL expensive here, there is quite a range of housing cost.
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 08:10 AM

Savannah, Georgia... Panhandle of Florida... Santa Fe New Mexico... start there and also consider any major College town like Chapel Hill NC... good luck

PS.. look for guides that recommend "Best Places to Retire In the USA"... usually inexpensive towns around universities that may need Pharmacists....
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 09:27 AM

San Diego was my first thought - we spent 6 mos a year in North County and loved it. As far as the immigration goes there are many jobs and probably Pharmacists as well that qualify under the Free Trade agreement. My brother is a Chemical Engineer and works in both countries.
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 09:52 AM
P_M

Mysty, I live in Austin, TX where snow almost never happens. It is relatively inexpensive to live here and we have TONS of entertainment, mostly geared toward young adults. It does get very hot in the summer but we are near several lakes and water sports are very popular here. Austin has a very liberal culture, unlike most of Texas. I hope you will come for a visit and check it out.

I think it's great that you want to live in our country and I wish you success wherever you go.
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 10:24 AM

San Diego, best climate in the US. Entire west coast, not too cold, but overcast a lot in the Pacific NW. Southeast is blistering hot and humid in the summer. Don't eliminate the Raleigh area of North Carolina, including Chapel Hill. What it lacks in climate, it makes up for in culture (and it's not as hot as the coastal plain or as cold as the mts.)

Also Albuquerque NM has a pretty good climate with lots of sun and is in a beautiful area.
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 04:48 PM

Albuquerque can get quite cold in the winter once the sun goes down. 30-35 degrees. I've been there at several Thanksgivings and Christmas when they've had snow. The winter is shorter than in more norther climes, however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -