COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Wallpaper

Old Apr 14th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

Wallpaper

Anyone still have wallpaper in their house? My bathroom does and I think I need to take it off and paint- except- I still kind of like the wallpaper but I think its outdated-

and- I am working towards selling the house in the next year or so - so I really need to take off, don't I?
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 11:04 PM

Wall-paper is actually making a comeback well it is in New Zealand anyway. I would have it in preference to paint even it if wasn't making a comeback. In the last few months have re-wallpapered our hall and stairwell and just recently our lounge/dining kitchen area.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 03:46 AM

Wallpaper (and paint color, for that matter) has never stopped us from buying a house we love but we enjoy working on houses, changing things, making them our own. Some people don't have time or interest in doing that so removing wallpaper is another thing "to do". I think most people prefer move-in ready.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 08:04 AM

We have wallpaper in our foyer. I like it a lot. We had it replaced about 8 or 9 years ago.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 08:29 AM

Wallpaper comes and goes. Most of mine is now gone but don't let me near a good interior decorating store with all those books of wallpaper!!

I do think in general if you are selling, neutral, neutral, neutral so if it's not too much work (HAH!!) I'd be inclined to get it down and apply a fresh coat of paint especially in a b-room.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 08:41 AM

I agree that some wallpaper is coming back in style. But it could be iffy when trying to sell. We had our, at the time 8 yr old, wallpaper removed in all bathrooms. I had the walls lightly skip trowel textured (reasonably still popular here) and painted. Looks very fresh and clean. I loved the wallpaper in the downstairs powder room but felt if Ieft it it would look dated.

If you want to be safe, I'd say Remove the paper and paint especially if it's outdated.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 08:46 AM

Our wallpaper is 25 years old now, and I still love it--except for the second-generation pattern in the laundry. That we painted over, but unless we sell the house someday my wallpaper stays: in the entry hall, in the upstairs bathroom, and in the master bath and shower rooms. Ditto for the porcelain tile in those rooms.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 10:02 AM

I've never had wallpaper and can only think of one person who has it. It looks nice in her home.
I could never have it, my husband would kill me if we hung paper and a couple of years later I start looking around thinking about "freshening the color"
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 10:13 AM

We have wallpaper in our bedroom, and in our dining room. We are about to put it in our hall too.

My son has just a single panel of beautiful, expensive, wall paper on one wall in his main room. It looks amazing.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 10:23 AM

We recently wallpapered a small half bath. It lightened and brightened a windowless and dark room which is now one of my favorite spaces.

If you're thinking that your wallpaper pattern is outdated, I'd say take it down. But if you are just worried about wallpaper in general being outdated, I'd say leave it if you like it.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 10:43 AM

Hi, sun!
I have a 22 year old bold, floral wallpaper in my main floor powder room. Same situation as yours: Still like it after all these years but feeling that it is definitely dated...has been for at least 15 years now! LOL.

I will be selling and feel the same as you that I have to change that wallpaper. But, not today! So, why don't you do the same: Keep it until you feel that you have to remove it when you sell? Maybe your wallpaper will return to "fashionable" in the meantime!

Alternatively, we could just buy each others homes and leave "as is"!!

OB1
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ocean- my wallpaper is pretty bold too but I think nice- with coordinated window treatment as well - I do hate to take it down. Perhaps I need to attend to things that would count more- its a big decision.

Why don't you take a trip here and see if you want to buy - I don't think I want to move to Canada though ( sorry) Could not leave my daughter behind in the US
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 11:44 AM

Sun, and I cannot leave my son so this won't work!

Why don't you ask your DD what she thinks? You cld also ask your real estate agent?

It's such a pain having to get a home "ready" to put it on the market. I hear you! I have so many things to do in this 80+ year old home that I just don't know where to begin. And, these days I have no energy to even contemplate where to begin. So, it sounds as if you are way ahead of me!

OB1
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 02:31 PM

This Spring, I stripped bathroom wallpaper and painted the room. Change is good.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 02:51 PM

Get rid of it. Wallpaper reeks of old person house or can't be bothered to update.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

ocean- not only is hard to figure out what to do to prepare to put a house on the market, but what to do with all the stuff in it- I have taken loads to Goodwill but now I have things that I know have some value but you have to find the right venue for them.

It might be easier to sit on my front porch and drink wine and not worry about it
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 03:40 PM

We have wallpaper in our parlor - old houses suit wallpaper IMVHO, it's only papered below the picture rail.

I have also papered one wall of the master bedroom. It's a large pattern that makes a statement but isn't over powering - neither is it 'old person'.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs...tNumber=033614

We also fell in love with this paper - it has a metallic gleam to the leaves. Also a large pattern, I don't have anywhere to use it at the moment but I might use it in the yet to be built laundry room. I'll find somewhere to use it if it kills me

http://www.next.co.uk/x491018s3#721695x49

Last year I traveled back from the UK with wallpaper in my suitcase - I'd have left clothes behind rather than the wallpaper.

I don't get the American 'double roll' idea. It's a roll of wallpaper, you can't buy half of it and same as UK wallpaper it does 4 drops in a standard height room
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 03:44 PM

Opps forgot!

At home we have paintable wallpaper in the stairwell and landing, all of the other rooms are painted cream but the 'backbone' of the house is painted green. I don't think it'll put anyone off buying the house because if they don't like the color they can repaint it.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 04:23 PM

Baluca,
Sometimes people are just not well enough....grappling with serious medical issues.... to tackle such projects. Not because they are old or lack the will. Have you ever thought of that?? Probably not. There is no suggestion that the OP here falls into that category but I am just saying that, in some cases, that's what's going on.

Sun, I'll join you on the porch and bring the wine!

OB1
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

or sometimes they are just indecisive- like me!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO