Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Dress Code?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 12:38 PM
George

I'm planning a stay at the Waldorf and it says on its website that there is a dress code in the public areas--no t-shirts, faded jeans, or tank tops.

I assume not everyone is dressed in formal attire. For those familiar with the W-A, how far can I dress down without feeling out of place?

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Curious

Why would you want to stay at an old, crusty creaky pretentious hotel if you don't want to dress like a crusty creaky pretentious person?

I'm certainly not one of the fashion police that patrol these boards - I wear tshirts and jeans all the time. But if you feel more comfortable doing so, wouldn't you rather stay at a place where you'd feel in a more comfortable environment. Besides, it's not like they're going to toss you from your room window if your shirt's untucked.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Statia

George:

The last time I was in NYC, I met some friends in the lobby of the Waldorf. I did not feel out of place in jeans, a nice shirt, and walking shoes. Most people staying there ARE tourists.

I'd say to dress nice-casual and you'll be fine. Of course, there me be a more strict dress code for eating in the restaurants, etc. But, I can't imagine that you have to "dress up" for sightseeing in the city during the day just because you are passing thru the lobby.

Enjoy NYC...it's a fabulous city! And, I did find the Waldorf to be a very nice hotel....at least the lobby was.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 01:24 PM
George

Curious,

I don't mind putting up with the all the stuffiness at the Waldorf because I get to stay there for FREE. Otherwise it probably wouldn't be my first choice for a hotel.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Postal

They don't care what your pockets look like as long as they're full of money! I stayed there for 30 days and never felt out of place whether dressed in my business attire or T-shirt and shorts.