Waikiki Info for April 11-18?

Old Mar 8th, 2000, 01:25 PM
Marcy

Waikiki Info for April 11-18?

Hello fellow travelers! I am have the fantastic opportunity to go to Waikiki is April with my sister, her husband and their six year old...Does anyone have any suggestions for "must sees" and "must dos"? or should I just look forward to 7 beautiful days on the beach.....just relaxing?

Old Mar 8th, 2000, 04:02 PM
Cheryl Z.

Well, I'd opt for 7 beautiful days relaxing on the beach, but there will be lots to do if you choose. When you arrive, pick up a bunch of the free brochures and magazines, full of maps and stuff, down by baggage claim. Browse thru them over your first mai-tais and chi-chis on the beach the first day and decide what you'd like to do. If you decide to rent a car, be sure to go around to the other side of the island, different entirely from Waikiki/Honolulu. Visit Haleiwa. Don't feel pressured to do lots of the touristy stuff in 7 days, just enjoy the beauty and ambiance of Oahu. And for sure enjoy a catamaran ride, lots to choose from right in middle of Waikiki Beach. (and if you have a chance to have a fresh, hot malasada, do so!)

Old Mar 8th, 2000, 07:00 PM
Lani

Marcy,

You're going to Hawaii at one of the very best times - April should be not too cold or too hot! I'd definitely visit Pearl Harbor, and maybe do the Luau & Horizon Show at the Polynesian Cultural Center. (You can book a tour up there thru your hotel concierge, and not have to drive back late at night!) I would only get the ticket for the Evening Luau & Show, not the pass to do the whole center that takes up most of a day - I thank it's very touristy now, and your time could be better spent on the beach! The Horizon show is world-class, one of the best I've ever seen! You would get to see some of the island on your bus trip up in the early evening if you do this! Have a great trip!

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 02:05 PM
torryn

Hi, Marcy:
I'm jealous! I just returned from Waikiki - stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki overlooking the pool and water. It was fabulous! The most fun for me was having a mai tai near the pool, looking at the water. The water is so beautiful as is the weather. Snorkling at Hainenama (spelling I'm sure is wrong) on the other side of Diamond Head is wonderful. Have a great time!

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 11:54 PM
Carolyn

Torryn, that's what a lot of people don't realize: the ocean on Oahu is the most beautiful of all the islands! I do hope you had a chance to circle the island to see just how gorgeous it really is! Next time you go (and I KNOW you will!), be sure to stop on the side of the road in the Waimanalo area (just past Sea Life Park)and step onto the most beautiful white sand on the entire island! (By the way, that gorgeous snorkeling area is actually called Hanauma Bay! The water is crystal clear, like a mini-Tahiti!)

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 04:36 PM
parrotfish

You must do Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial. It is free but get there EARLY. The National Park opens at 8 AM but the line starts forming about 7 AM. If you can get in line by 7-7:30 you will be in one of the first boats over to the actual memorial, after watching a short videotape. Then you can stroll around the park after your boat returns [the Arizona obviously is in the harbor and must be reached by boat]. Those arriving later in the day report waiting 3-4 HOURS to get their turn on the boat and if you arrive in the afternoon, you may not even get to the memorial before it closes.

I also enjoyed the Polynesian Cultural Center, altho I found the luau and show in the evening better than the daytime strolling around in the heat. If you go, spring extra $$$ for the luau meal rather than the buffet - it's a nice luau and then you don't have to do another one on Waikiki.

You can buy a tour to Haunama Bay from your hotel for $10-15 or you can ride the city bus for $1!! On the bus it takes about an hour but the price is right. There is an admission fee to Haunama but you don't even need a mask and snorkel to see some of the most incredible fish ever. It is a collapsed volcanic crater so you have to walk DOWN to the beach, but it is beautiful - very sunny, little shade. Check out the website for the city bus [www.thebus.org] for current fees and schedules.

A day trip to the Big Island to see the volcano may run $150 per person and take all day, but is also a neat trip - how often do you see an active volcano? Otherwise, enjoy the beach and the sun.

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 09:52 PM
Noah

I hope Marcy will post a trip report when she gets back.