Waikiki hotel booking :need wisdom

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can get good deal on most of my trip in December and then have eight more days w/o the good deal.

Do I move to another hotel or try to bargain with the original hotel. It will be after the 21st of Dec so prices go up for the holidays.

It is the negotiating part I am awful at. Suggestions very welcome.

I wonder what class I cut where I missed this skill.

Mildred
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think you need to "bargain" with the hotel, but I would simply ask if they are willing to match the same room rate if you stay an additional 8 days.

If not I'd probably move to a reasonably priced hotel for that last week (maybe some place like the Hawaiiana Hotel, Celebrity Resort, or the Breakers?).
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:20 AM

Mildred, don't feel bad about your (lack of) bargaining skills... no amount of skill will get you a good discount when they can easily get the rate you don't want to pay from someone else. That's why they call Christmas/New Year's the highest season. Only you can decide if moving is worth the money you'll save.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 01:30 PM

You may have a little bit of an edge when talking to the hotel due to the rising airfare.
I'm not sure how much of an effect it has had yet but I'm glad we got our tickets when we did.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies -

Usually book flight and hotel together but the flight cost was definitely what caused me to get my flight before worrying about my hotel. The flights were steadily becoming more expensive and planes were filling up for stays more than 5 months away. I usually book this trip 2 months out without problems. Times have clearly changed. Thanks again for the sage advice.

Mildred

Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 05:00 PM

I would ask if they have a long term rate..sometimes if you stay long time (count all of your days) they will give a better daily rate

You could also ask if they have a cheaper 'sister property" if you must move..

Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Hi 1 JAR -

will certainly give that a try Mildred
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 01:32 AM

No one really knows how the hotels will fare this year with the economy, fuel costs, air fare, etc.

You are looking at the peak winter season. Even with higher air fares, the hotels are seeing an increase in tourists from Canada (and to a lesser extent Europe) with their favorable exchange rate.

Normally, hotels are booked solid during the holidays.

There's no harm in asking your original hotel what is the best price they can give you. However, make sure you have a back up plan for another place to stay in case you can't get the same deal.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 07:08 AM

I'll add I am horrible at bartering in any way (i'm near useless in Mexico -haha-) but I'm comfortable with asking a hotel if there is a discount for a longer stay, what is the best price they can offer because I really don't want to move hotel, etc.

I would do this *ahead* of time by email with a manager, if possible. The front desk staff may not have the leeway to cut special deals on the spot.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

I love it when I can get the rest of the story on these posts so I thought I would report the following:

Called the hotel armed with all the verbiage and concepts glued to my brain and was able to get price with little incentive package as a long term stay with only the last 7 not 8 days for 10 USD additional per day. That work's for me. Able to request beds and higher floor etc.

Glad I had the webpage open without which I would not have gotten the incentive package.

Thanks everyone for your help. Mahalo Mildred
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

ttt to thank people

suze - oddly I can bargain in person /thanks for the 2nd post. very kind/ Mildred
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 11:26 AM

Then you can come to me with Mexico next time because I'm absolutely horrible at it (haha)!!