Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Waikiki-Doesn't anyone enjoy staying here longer than 3 day's? Any local's comment's?

Search

Waikiki-Doesn't anyone enjoy staying here longer than 3 day's? Any local's comment's?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 04:42 PM
Pam

I am planning on a trip to Hawaii in Sept. and I have been reading comment's about Waikiki not being that great. Why? Other than the crowd's there seem's to be an awful lot to do and see in Oahu area. Is it really that bad to stay there longer than a couple of day's? I hear the beaches are great!

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 05:21 PM
Rene

Pam, it depends on what you want. I stayed there for five days the first time I went to Hawaii and enjoyed it. But after that I wanted to go somewhere less urban and less crowded. Waikiki is a city with a beach. There's lots of activities, shopping and sight-seeing. For some, that is the best of both worlds. I know people who have gone there several times and never see the rest of the islands (as incredible as it seems)
After seeing what else there was in the Islands, I knew that Waikiki wasn't my ideal of a Hawaiian vacation. Don't get me wrong, I love Oahu, especially outside of Honolulu. And Waikiki has a lot to offer. But when I go to Hawaii I want something quieter and less urban, like Kauai or Maui. It all depends on what you want from a vacation. One things for sure: you can't go wrong going to Hawaii!!

Have a great trip.

Rene

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 05:25 PM
David

I've been to Oahu several times and enjoyed it very much. However, after going to some of the outer islands I really really enjoyed it! If you stay on Oahu the whole time do not miss N. Shore.

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 05:54 PM
kalena

Hi Pam. We love it here. O'ahu is quite diverse and beautiful, and when you are here you should definitely explore and get out of Waikiki. There was a recent great article on Honolulu in the February-March issue of ELLE Decor. It has great photos with lots of local color, and great recommendations for activities while in Honolulu. If you can't find it, feel free to email me. Aloha!

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 08:55 PM
dmd808

I'm an Oahu local...born and raised here in Hawaii. I wouldn't trade living on this island for any other island. Oahu is all of the Hawaiian Islands rolled up into one. There's romantic beaches, lush greenery, great attractions, exciting nightlife, restaurants and shopping, and gorgeous views.

I agree with everyone that says to venture out of Waikiki. Its certainly not the only beach on the island, and there's A LOT to see here! You will definitely miss the real beauty of Oahu if you confine yourself to little Waikiki. Go to Sandy Beach and the North Shore to check out the waves. By the way, Kamehameha Highway that leads into the North Shore is officially opening back up this Saturday!

If you don't see Oahu...you're missing out on a huge part of Hawaii as a whole.

Have Fun...Aloha!

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 09:15 PM
kalena

Hey, DMD, wer're lucky, aren't we? I'm a transplant, but have lived in Hawaii for 25 years. Ten of those on the Big Island. Before that, Europe and South America, due to my parents' careers. My husband, though, is fourth generation Hawaii. Our kids, fifth. I love O'ahu, and could not live anywhere else. I enjoy the outer island resort experience as much as anyone else, but to live in Paradise, O'ahu is our choice, too!

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 03:45 AM
paige

If you stay on Oahu, go to Kailua Beach on the windward side, just over the Pali highway. It's much nicer than Waikiki. Waikiki can be pretty amusing (lots of people watching) but it also gets crowded. The drive around the island from Waikiki to Kailua is really pretty.

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 10:26 AM
Greg Jones

Hello Pam,

I lived in Waikiki for a year. A must is the Cha Cha Cha for great affordable carribean mex food. Also go to Sandy Beach on the East side and Kailua Beach park my two favorite. p.s. beware the shorebreak at Sandy Beach, its definately fun to watch.

Old Jun 11th, 2000, 06:07 AM
Lani

Pam,

On my next trip to Hawaii, I plan to stay a full week on Oahu because I never feel that three days or so are enough, for all the above stated reasons! We will stay four nights Waikiki, and three nights at Kailua Beach next time. I love everything about Oahu, and the weather is superb there, overall!

ALoha,

Lani

Old Jun 11th, 2000, 12:26 PM
Pam

Thank's to all of you with your great response's. We have decided to stay on Oahu for the time we are in Hawaii. We live in Tampa, Fl so the crowd's will be nothing new for us. We are used to them and have learned to adapt. Any other suggestion's on what not to miss while on Oahu would be greatly appreciated. We plan to see alot. We have 11 day's to do so. I plan to take lot's of picture's. I saw something about a floral parade in Waikiki during the Aloha Festivals in Sept. Hope to see that as well. Thank's again!