Waikiki

Jan 31st, 2000, 09:22 AM
Bobbie

Waikiki

Are there beaches on any of the other Hawaiian islands that are as good as Waikiki?
Water as calm and sand soft? (with hotels at beach)

Jan 31st, 2000, 02:15 PM
Noah

It's funny that you would ask such a question as I'm sure that many people would say that Waikiki is really such a great beach.

Here is a quote from 'Travel &Leisure' which I saw on the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel's website:

(http://www.kaimana.com/)

"Most of Waikiki reminds us of Manhattan with 10 feet of sand attached,[....]"

I suggest you go to the forums homepage and then click 'past hosted forums' and read through the Hawaii forum hosted by Betty Fullard-Leo which just ended as there is a lot of info. there about beaches throughout the islands.

By the way, an Australian told me that the sand at Waikiki beach was imported from Australia. Anyone know more about that?

Jan 31st, 2000, 02:19 PM
Noah

Correction:

I meant to say:

"..as I'm sure many people would say that Waikiki is *NOT* really such a great beach"

Jan 31st, 2000, 04:15 PM
Tara

Noah,

Have you ever actually BEEN to the Hawaiian Islands?

Waikiki Beach is a wonderful beach, Bobbie, and some sections like San Souci in front of the New Otani is just plain heavenly! I think Kapalua Bay is just as nice, on Maui. Read Rick Carroll's "Best Beach Vacations Hawaii", there's a world of info on all the beaches in Hawaii. It's the best source I've seen, and I think you'll find plenty of other beaches to love.

Jan 31st, 2000, 04:45 PM
Steve

your right,,the sand is shipped in, dont know from were exactly but they truck it in from time to time..lots of erosion..and Bobbie...from your question, I have to assume, may be wrong, that you have never been to Hawaii and have this idea about "paradise" and Waikiki...NOT!!!!
Calling Waikiki beach "heavenly" ANY part of it..hmmm well...IMHO thats
almost TOO funny...its overcrowded, noisy, and yes like Park Ave, with a strip of sand..
If your looking for hotels on great beachs head over to Maui..Kapalua,Kaanapali, Wailea,,anyone of them cant go wrong...
Waikiki "heavenly" TARA your killing me!!! *W*

Jan 31st, 2000, 05:03 PM
Noah

I would like to point out that there are supposed to be many uncrowded, beautiful beaches on Oahu as well.

Jan 31st, 2000, 06:14 PM
Tara

Steve,

You've obviously never swim at San Souci Beach! Also, remember, everybody has their own definition of heavenly, and it may not be yours. I love Waikiki, AND I love a picnic with just my husband and I on Lumahai Beach on the North shore of Kauai! I think a few days of each is, YES!, heavenly.

I'd really love to know when, how many times, and in what part of Waikiki Beach you've vacationed???

And, Bobbie, whereever you go in Hawaii, you'll probably have a great time. I've been several times, to several islands, and always had a HEAVENLY time on all of them!

Jan 31st, 2000, 06:14 PM
Bobbie

Thank all of you for your replies and I will check out the other sites that were recommended, but I don't think some of you read my question correctly.
I have been to Hawaii 3 times, but have never found a beach where the water was as calm and the sand (in the ocean) as soft as it is on Waikiki. I never used the word Heavenly, but the ocean there really was.

Jan 31st, 2000, 07:17 PM
Steve

bobbie,,didnt mean to imply that you used heavenly,,was refering to tara,

Tara...was just pulling your leg , so to speak,,,When I hear someone talk about "Waikiki" I'm thinking from, say, the Hilton to the salt water pools on the Diamond head end,,THATS waikiki IMO...and it SUCKS..Now, san Souci beach, not really sure were that is,,so cant comment...
Your talking TRUE heavenly at Lumahai..And to answer your question been to all the islands several times..
Your response to Noah was a little shall we say.."rude" so i thought I'd see how you liked it..*G*..
Also you HAVE to admit..knowing Waikiki like you do , and having been to Lumahai. and have someone ask if there are beaches "as good" as Waikiki??? come on!!! Just HAD to set them straight..*S*

Jan 31st, 2000, 09:12 PM
Tara

Steve,

The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel is right across from Kapiolani Park, FYI. It's a really great location because you can enjoy the Waikiki scene (if you're so inclined) but be away from the busiest section of it (Int'l Marketplace, etc.)when you want things a bit quieter.

Noah can take care of himself - can't you, Noah? And I really did not intend to be rude. Frequently, people speak before they have all the facts about or have experienced a place, really. I thought that might be happening.

Aloha, Tara

Jan 31st, 2000, 09:21 PM
dmd808

Lanikai, located on the Windward side of Oahu was rated as one of the top, most beautiful beaches in the US. Grab yourself a map because its pretty difficult to find. Also, you shouldn't miss Kailua Beach Park, Sandy Beach, Waimea, or any of the secluded beaches on the North Shore. Last but not least, Ko Olina on the Leeward side of our island. 4 beautiful man-made lagoons that are netted off from the ocean (to keep the big fish and sharks out). You can also walk into the Ihilani Resort which is right on the beaches of Ko Olina, for outside dining and to preview their own collection of baby sharks and fish in a large pond like setting.

There is an abundance of other beaches, too many to post! Hope this info helps you.

Aloha!

Feb 1st, 2000, 12:32 AM
Ted

Bobbie, I understand perfectly what you are saying. I agree with you: The water AND sand at Waikiki are superb compared to even the other islands which usually have coarse, ugly, brown sand and rolling surf! The beach in front of the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel on the Big Island, however, where I stayed a few years ago, will fill the bill for you, though!

Feb 16th, 2000, 12:03 AM
kalena

Noah:

The Honolulu Advertiser today ran a short story on the front page on the sand at Waikiki... I've cut and pasted the text in case you cannot easily retrieve it when you log on to www.honoluluadvertiser.com (probably tomorrow). Not sure if they'll archive the story and photo.
"Bulldozed sand piles create mini-dunes at Kuhio Beach in Waikiki. The state is testing a beach renourishment project, collecting sand offshore, pumping it to the beach and allowing it to dry before being spread. The $3 million project aims to improve water quality and swimming safety as well as slow loss of sand from the beach."

I've never heard of sand being imported from Australia...Sounds like an Australian tall tale to me!

Aloha,
-k

Feb 16th, 2000, 10:39 PM
Janet

Ha! Sand imported from Australia. What a tall tale that one is.
When I went to Honolulu a year ago I was disappointed. Yes, it is over-built. Never made it to the beach although our hotel was 300 ft from it (I broke my arm).
We will be taking the kids this summer to Oahu and Maui and I'd like to hear about some of the nice uncrowded beaches. Some with rather calm waters to snorkle in. Thanks

Feb 17th, 2000, 01:01 AM
Noah

Thank you for posting that Kalena, I enjoyed it.

Ann, I suggest you start by clicking on 'forums home' and then 'past hosted' forums, then go to the one recently hosted by Betty Fullard-Leo on Hawaii.

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't able to enjoy your last trip to Oahu.

Have you considered staying at any of the following, all of which look very special?:

Ihilani Resort and Spa: http://www.ihilani.com/main.html

http://www.mandarin-oriental.com/kahala/index.html

New Otani Kaimana Beach Resort: http://www.kaimana.com/

Feb 17th, 2000, 07:18 AM
Lani

Ann,

Run, don't walk, to the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel with Sans Souci Beach fronting it! It's right across from Kapiolani Park, etc. The water is like a big warm sloshy bathtub, my favorite beach spot in the islands to have fun with kids and just kick back! The hotel gets by without a pool because the ocean is so wonderful there, many people prefer to swim there.
And snorkle!

The Waikiki View Jr. Suites are reasonable for what you get, and you see the whole panorama - ocean, city lights and mountains, a view to just knock you out! And for half of what you'd pay at one of the BIGGIE names........

And they have the wonderful Hau Tree Lanai Restaurant! Such a great spot to be.

Feb 17th, 2000, 08:57 AM
Lani

A "PS:" to my above message:

On second thought, don't run! You might break your arm again.

Seriously, regarding the suites at the New Otani, if your children are young and need to be in the room with you, the Waikiki View Jr. Suites would probably not be large enough. There are Diamond Head suites, newer and larger, that might be better. Now, if the kids are older and can be in a room alone, then I'd get them a room next to a WVJr. Suite so I could get that fabulous view!

Just wanted to make that clear!

Feb 26th, 2000, 10:36 PM
David

A few good words about Waikiki- we have lived in Waikiki for 2 1/2 years and while it is kind of busy and noisy, that is part of the fun. We really enjoy the beach, with sunbathers, swimmers, surfers, catamarans and outrigger canoes leaving from the beach, etc.- it is fun watching people having a good time. There are crowded areas, but walk five minutes in either direction and you can find a less crowded area Sunset dinners under a banyan tree with live music and gentle breezes are hard to beat. Come enjoy!

Mar 1st, 2000, 01:45 AM
happy travels

Here here David - part of Waikiki's attraction is the location and the strip of sand. Like, who wouldn't realise that a beach next to a bunch of hotels isn't going to be crowded? We had a three day stopover in late January and had a ball. The clouds parted and the beach became a frenzy of activities.

Bobbie, if you're into observing flesh, then Waikiki is the spot. Try a Saturday or Sunday when the military boys go out to play. Mmmmm! Remember the dark glasses though.

I have also heard that the sand comes from Queensland. Regardless, if you want fun then Waikiki is your spot. If you want seclusion then go somewhere else.

Search this Thread