volcano nat'l park in a day?

Old May 23rd, 1999, 12:29 PM
Adam Mills

volcano nat'l park in a day?

My fiance and I are honeymooning on Maui for a week in September. We are interested in seeing the volcano national park on the big Island, and were wondering if it would be possible to fly to the big island from Maui, rent a car, tour the park, and fly back to Maui in one day? We want to avoid spending a night on the big Island, if possible, since money is a little tight...

Old May 23rd, 1999, 02:44 PM
M & J

We stayed on the Big Island for several days at a fantast B & B called My Island B & B, email [email protected] We rented a complete home, fire place, kitchen, porch and only minutes form Volcano National Park. I guess you could fly in, scurry about and fly out. But you will miss walking next to steam vents in the early dawn, watching the fiery red lava flow into the ocean in erupting explosions, walking across an extinct crater. We suggest you take some time on that wonderful island.

Old May 23rd, 1999, 02:44 PM
M & J

We stayed on the Big Island for several days at a fantast B & B called My Island B & B, email [email protected] We rented a complete home, fire place, kitchen, porch and only minutes form Volcano National Park. I guess you could fly in, scurry about and fly out. But you will miss walking next to steam vents in the early dawn, watching in the night darkness the fiery red lava flowing into the ocean with erupting explosions, walking across an extinct crater. We suggest you take some time on that wonderful island.

Old May 23rd, 1999, 04:13 PM
Lottie "Tiare" Tagupa

Absolutely!!
Use inter-island coupons instead of buying the regular airfare it's about 50% cheaper, and make your car reservations through the inter-island airline when you make your air reservations.
Fly into/out of Hilo. The drive from Hilo to Volcano is only 40 minutes as opposed to over 2 hours from Kona.

Doing a day trip to the volcano is definately a great way to avoid a hotel say on the Big Island!

A hui hou,
Tiare
http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/hawaii

Old May 24th, 1999, 06:32 AM
Dick

My wife and I did a day trip from Maui...first am flight to Hilo and last flight returning. Our only regret was that we did not get to see the volcano at night. I've been told that sometimes the night lava flow loks like fireworks.

Call the Volcanos PArk Hotline to find out the lava conditions and how close you can get. We were able to get very close(because it was flowing across the road...sometimes you have to hike to see the lava flow) and to see the lava hitting the ocean and creating new land mass.
It is an absolutely incrdible dsiplay of the forces of nature(or of pele).