Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Visiting UC Schools From San Diego to Berkeley

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 10:32 AM
Patty

I'll be accompanying my nephew (graduating college in Florida)to interviews (in the spring) for graduate schools from UCSD on up the coast to Berkeley to include UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara and Cal-Poly. I will research each schools suggested lodging, but was wondering if anyone has done this route with anyone checking out the universities. A suggestion for any or all locations would be appreciated. Since I'll not only be picking up the tab for this juant but supporting grad school expenses, BUDGET is the key word here. Thanks for any input.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 11:28 AM
kam

Staying near Cal in Berkeley or UCSB will be pricey. San Luis Obispo offers less expensive motel type accomodations.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Suzie

This will be a fun and exciting time for you both. We'll need to know if you plan to spend more than 1 day in each place. How close do you want to be to the campuses? Does that matter? Would you consider driving partway to the next stop in order to secure a reasonable hotel rate? This will help with some of the stops. Like if you visit Santa Barbara you might stay outside in a smaller town or in Berkely you could stay in a suburb both of which would be more budget.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 09:39 PM
xxx

Which Cal Poly? The Pomona campus has on-site hotel lodging known as Kellogg West. It's a nice conference center and would be your best bet for that school.

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Terry

We did that exact trip last year. My daughter picked UCSB so thats an easy hotel recomendation as we use it frequently. check out http://www.pacificasuites.com/ it includes breakfast and if you ask for the parent plan because you are are visiting UCSB the price is $125 a night for a 1 bedroom suite. Its minutes from the school. For Cal Poly San louis Obispo we stayed at a Best Western ( forget the exact name ) that included breakfast . At Berkly we stayed just across the freeway at a place that had "Marina" in the name and was on the marina. Go to Berkly early as parking is hard to find and you have to use one of the public lots or take BART. Irvine and UCSD have no close "budget" places so you may have to travel further or pay nore to those places.

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 02:12 PM
Patty

Thanks for the replies. My nephew hasn't informed me of any interviews as yet but I'm assuming we'll have some dates just after the first of the year. I'll be back with more specific questions then. Thank you again.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 10:29 PM
UCLA Alumni

UCI is about 1.25 hour from San Diego so see if you can base your hotel in which ever area is more budget for you, maybe you can visit both in one day. If Irvine becomes too pricey, Santa Ana and Tustin(nicer area of the two) is close by so search there. Good luck, I don't believe any UC's being a public institute will require a personal interview. Go Bruins.