Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Native American weaving demonstation in Northern Arizona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband is taking his mother on a road trip around Northern Arizona, and she wants to see a weaving demonstration. They are driving from Tucson and will spend 2 days in Flagstaff and 2 days in Chinle. Does anybody have any ideas where they could do this?
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 12:27 PM

I've seen it at the trading post in Ganado, but that is east of their route. I would assume that trading posts or tribal centers would be a good place to start looking.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 12:44 PM

Should be no problem finding someone in Chinle, which is in the heart of the Navajo reservation. Might find something in Flag but it will seem more traditional and authentic in Chinle.

Here's a link I found with a brief basic search, it says "if you are in are at an Arizona location, arrange a weaving demonstration and talk", with a Chinle address:

http://www.crossingworlds.com/articles/weaving.html

The link hasn't been updated in a few years, if this lady is no longer doing it then check at Thunderbird Lodge and/or with the people at the Canyon de Chelly visitor center and I'm sure they'll come up with someone.

The other hot spot is Monument Valley, there used to be an elderly lady named Susie Yazzie who was always working on a new rug and the guides could take you to her hogan for a small fee. I'm guessing Susie has passed on by now but most likely someone else is doing this.

I was friends with three Navajo guides in Monument Valley and one of them did a custom rug design for me, then had one of his aunts weave a 30 x 40" rug from his pattern and I got to watch her progress each time I was up there (it took several months to complete). Really interesting to document the progress, and it's a treasured possession.

As for Flagstaff, I'd suggest a visit to the Museum of Northern Arizona (just north of Flag), they had a lot of excellent rugs for sale there, though probably not a weaving demo. Also, depending on how you get to Chinle, they could stop at the trading posts in Ganado (if coming from the south) or, if taking 160 (a more scenic but slightly more round-about route), there are trading posts in Cameron and Tuba City with handsome rugs.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 12:49 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Maybe Cameron Trading Post. Give them a call or email.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 12:51 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Another idea - call the Best Western in Chinle and talk to somoene at the front desk. They arranged our jeep tour with a native guide. They were very helpful and informative - and related to a lot of people providing services in and around Canyon de Chelly.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 05:44 PM

When we were in Canyon de Chelley there were women who were selling rugs they had woven. They might be happy to give a demo for a sale.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all of your suggestions! We will follow up on them and see what can be arranged.