Visiting Statue of Liberty

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, son and I will be coming to NYC the end of September. One-day bus trip. Bus will arrive at Rockefeller Ctr 9:30-10:00 a.m. on a Saturday. This trip, we would like to see the Statue. We know the best way is to get "in line" as early as possible. We figure we will need to take the bus or subway from Rockefeller to the ferry to Ellis Island. Is our arrival time (9:30) early enough to avoid a long waiting line? About how long does it take to get over to, and tour, the Statue? Obviously, with coming by bus, we can't get to NYC any earlier. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 03:11 PM

I am usually not the type to re-direct a poster , but.......
Is this a first visit? What time will the bus depart? For a one-day bus trip doing the Statue tour could eat up a good chunk of your day. Consider instead taking the Staten Island ferry round-trip (free) which drives by it but does not stop on the island. No lines, great views, and you'll have more time left in your day to do other things.
I've gone twice and both times it took about 1/2 day (that includes going inside the statue).
I'll let other posters give you a more accurate times for subway, lines, tour, return, etc. - depending on day of week, time of day.
Do consider the ferry as an alternative.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

The bus will depart Rockefeller Ctr at 7:00 pm, so we would pretty much have all day. My husband and I have already been on this same bus trip about 3 years ago (actually just 10 days before 9/11), so we have already done the tourist thing of 5th Ave, Empire State Building, etc. For this trip, we wanted to concentrate on the Statue, one way or the other, and then whatever else we had time for afterwards. I had also seen info regarding the suggestion to take the ferry around the statue.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 06:05 AM

If the Statue is your priority, then just head there upon arriving. Since you'll already be in Lower Manhatten, you might want to spend the rest of your time in lower Manhatten and do whatever you have time for (South St. Seaport, Brooklyn Bridge walk, Lower east side, Chinatown, Soho, Greenwich Village, etc.).
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 06:10 AM

The statue just re-opened, but you can only go inside the base of it. If you want to do that, you will need to reserve tix in advance as they only have a limited number of tix per day. Info on the National Park Service website at: http://www.nps.gov/stli/

I agree with the last poster that I would try to do this early and then spend whatever time you have left visiting lower Manhattan, Wall St, etc.